PDA

View Full Version : Rules ???.. 14.1

TimFXF
03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm trying to learn 14.1, but I don't trust the person I play with for rules. He is a much better player than me, but I don't trust his knowledge of the rules since he plays by some of those really shaky "bar rules" when we play 8 ball.

Simple question: What happens in 14.1 when you pocket the QB (what I would call a scratch)? And if any balls were pocketed, what happens to them?

Bob_Jewett
03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TimFXF:</font><hr> I'm trying to learn 14.1, but I don't trust the person I play with for rules. He is a much better player than me, but I don't trust his knowledge of the rules since he plays by some of those really shaky "bar rules" when we play 8 ball.

Simple question: What happens in 14.1 when you pocket the QB (what I would call a scratch)? And if any balls were pocketed, what happens to them? <hr /></blockquote>
If the cue ball scratches, all object balls pocketed on the shot are spotted (and obviously don't count for the player) and the player loses one point for the scratch. The cue ball is taken in hand by the other player behind the line and he must shoot the cue ball over the line and may not play a ball behind the line unless the cue ball first goes out of the kitchen. If all object balls are behind the line when the cue ball is "in hand," the player may request that the ball closest to the line be spotted on the foot spot.

The rules are on-line on the BCA web page, but in my opinion, all beginning players should invest in a copy of the rule book. It'll cost you less that ten bucks.

TimFXF
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks Bob. I suppose this was the genesis of the QB in the kitchen on a scratch in 8 ball. Rather than ball in hand.

Bob_Jewett
03-06-2007, 06:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TimFXF:</font><hr> ... Rather than ball in hand. <hr /></blockquote>
I think that ball in hand anywhere did not enter the official rules until about 1980, depending on the rule set you were working with. Prior to that, under two-shot shoot-out at nine ball, there was BIH anywhere but it was not part of the official rules and it required two consecutive fouls.

mthornto
03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_141.shtml