PDA

View Full Version : Went to see Doc Severinsen tonight

eg8r
03-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Well I just got back home from a Doc Severinsen concert. For those that don't know him, his major claim to fame was that he was the bandleader for the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. He has been performing professionally since high school and has always been someone I looked up to as a trumpet player and performer. It is just amazing how awesome he can still play the horn. The man turns 80 this year and just tears up the horn in all registers. The show tonight was a mix of big band music from the early 20s through the 60s.

I had a chance to see Maynard Ferguson on his last tour before he passed away (he was 78 and had just recorded his last CD before passing on) and now I have had a chance to see Doc on his last tour (he is retiring after this one). It is really pretty cool to see him live still wearing all his flashy clothes. He still has the excitement and charisma as what you would have seen if you were watching the Tonight Show.

eg8r

nAz
03-06-2007, 11:08 AM
I always liked him, thought he was great on the old tonight show.

here is a few clips of him and of the the Tonight show bands... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Doc+Severinsen&search=Search

Chopstick
03-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh Mann! I never even knew about it. You were a trumpet player too? I was dead set on being a pro when I was a kid. Doc was great. I saw him in Memphis 30 years ago. I had so many colledge scholarships offered for music I would have made a profit going.

I met a girl and didn't go though. Stupid me.

eg8r
03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Yep, I am a trumpet player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I still play but mostly at church. I have turned down a few of the invitations to play in some of the local community bands but only because it is too much to ask of my wife to watch the kids all the time while I am out having a good time. It is just unfair to her. So, I hit up the concerts when I have a chance.

Doc was actually in Avon Park so we drove the 2 hours to get there. It is pretty awesome to see an 80 year old man hit a double high C. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
He was great on the Tonight Show Band, but you did not ever get a chance to see what the man could really do. He was playing professionally in his early teens. His sound is still phenomenal and it was just a pleasure to sit back and enjoy the show. The average age at the show was probably around 65. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was cool sitting chatting with the old timers and hearing their stories.

eg8r

pooltchr
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
That is so cool.
Doc was so great on the show. It's a shame we only got to see and hear bits and pieces of his music on the Tonight Show.
I'm glad you got to see him. I'm sure it was a great show.
Some of my more memorable concerts include Joe Sample, Al Hert, and Herb Alpert. Lately, it's been The Rippingtons, Boney James, Spyro Gyra, Eric Merianthal, Paul Taylor and several others.
Nothing like a good jazz concert!
Steve

eg8r
03-07-2007, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing like a good jazz concert! <hr /></blockquote> I absolutely agree. I have not been to a pool hall in quite some time (I guess having kids does that) but the one thing I don't miss is the rap music. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Qtec
03-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Isn't that a coincidence. Someone who loves to ' blow his own trumpet' actually plays one! LOL
Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
03-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Qtec LOL very insightful of you.####

DickLeonard
03-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Eg8r my favorite Doc story as a TRojan. Johnny asked Doc what had he done over the weekend and he said he had played Muical Heaven on Saturday. Mitch Miller always told me Doc you have to play the Troy Music Hall you have never heard music sound as good as there.

Once I played the first notes I knew what he meant I was in Music Heaven.

I was a total Carson fan/ Doc music/Ed McMahon and heeres Johnny. Thank God for Jay Leno now I can get some sleep.#####

DickLeonard
03-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Eg8r my favorite music in Church story I was passing the RPI Cultural Center on All Saints Day so I stopped to go to the 11 o'clock Mass. The Chaplin came out before mass and said we have Nick Brignola and his band playing mass for us today. If you were a Jazz fan than you would remember that name. He always placed near the top in Baritone Sax category. He brought the church down with When the Saints Come Marching In. The Chaplin lead everyone out of the Chapel on to Front street and back into the Chapel while the Music kept playing. To this day my most memorable church experience.####

DickLeonard
03-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Chopstick my favorite ad if its Saturday Night Iam playing the Pine Cone Inn. He is 100 years old and still driving. There is always hope.####

dg-in-centralpa
03-07-2007, 09:56 AM
As a former trumpet player, I always liked Doc more than Maynard. I saw Maynard when I was in high school but never saw Doc. The only album of his that I had was witht he recording of "For Whom the Bell Tolls." He was great.

DG - quit because it was no longer fun and too much like a regular job-haven't played in 27 years

eg8r
03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Cool story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
03-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Wow that must have been something. I love jazz music but I have never heard of Nick Brignola before.

The bari on Docs band the other night had a great solo and was a joy to listen to.

eg8r

eg8r
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
It could not be any other way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

DickLeonard
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Eg8r I looked Nick up in Downbeat.com his website is Brignola.com. In his bio it said he had played with Doc. He passed away a few years back.####

DickLeonard
03-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Eg8r I always went to the Gaitey in downtown Albany. JR Montrose was playing there. A black lady double park her car and as soon as JR spotted her he brought her up on stage to sing a few songs. She did a twenty minute set then out the door she went. Jump into her car and away she drove.

Most everyone was left to wonder who was that black singer, we didn't have Tonto to tell us her name.####

Gayle in MD
03-08-2007, 10:40 AM
LOL...well, I told him, GFYSAH Go find your self a horn... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad you got out to have some fun Ed....maybe you'll be a little easier to deal with for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad you got out to have some fun Ed....maybe you'll be a little easier to deal with for a while.
<hr /></blockquote> I am always easy to deal with, just ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did not post about it but the previous week I went to see Harry Connick Jr. That was an awesome show also.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
03-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I love Harry Too! I love all that big band music, Sinatra, Gershwin, Goodman, Miller, and all the old torch singers. I'm so sorry I didn't get tickets for Tony Bennets tour with Diana Krawl, love her song, "Peel Me A Grape"...

I play all that music for my grand daughter when we're together. She knows all the words. Last week, at her birthday party, at the skating rink, she requested the DJ play, "Fly Me To The Moon" Sinatra...it was funny to see all those kids skating and singing that old song! I nearly fell over laughing when she spoke into the mic, to the DJ, and said ..."Could you please play....Frank Sinatra's... Fly..."

She knows all the classical music I play, also, and loves Chopin'... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
That is very cool. My wife is not into Big Band music, jazz, classical, etc. I usually go with some friends and we have a good time. My daughter listens to music with me every day on the way home and it is my style music, Clifford Brown, the Marsalis Bros (playing jazz), Maynard, etc. In my wifes car she listens to her kids CD. My wife is always surprised to hear my daughter listen to my music and not complain or beg for her kids cd. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif She used to dance to the song, "I've Got you under my skin". Sinatra has a version of it, but I have a version with Clifford Brown (I cannot remember the singer's name).

I am in Tennessee this weekend looking to buy some property and the people we are staying with are taking us to a local watering hole with live music. I am a bit worried that we are going to see the cooks from the local meth labs jamming out to some music I cannot understand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r