PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust to a new cue?

mantis
03-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I have been hitting with a different cue lately, and seem to be having poorer results with it. The cue is certainly nicer, but it has a very different feel, different feedback, a softer tip, and the taper is thicker. I like the feel of the cue, but am having trouble getting used to the different shaft taper and softer tip. When I swith back to the other cue, it almost feels better, because I am so used to it. I certainly hit better with it right now. I had a house pro tell me once that he felt it took approx 1 month to get used to a new cue. I don't know if I should just keep hitting with this cue to see if I get used to it or not. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dagwood
03-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Unless you find a cue that for some reason just fits your stroke, it usually will take about a month, sometimes a little more, to adjust to the differences in the new cue. During this time, you'll find that some of the shots that you were making before, (spin cuts, extreme draw/follow shots, swerve shots)are going to be harder to execute consistantly.

The best advice I can give you is to NOT go back to your other cue when you're feeling flustered about your performance with the new cue. What you end up doing is re-enforcing the familiarity with the old cue and lose what you have gained with the new cue, making the process that much longer. You end up in a limbo of sorts where you haven't gained the touch needed with the new cue, but you're also losing those same shots, to a lesser degree with the old cue.

When I switched to a Predator shaft, it took me about a month and a half to really get used to it. Until that point, I was trying to keep it to ABC pool in my matches...avoiding shots that used alot of english or power. Just stick with it, eventually you'll get those shots back with the new cue.

Dags

Billy_Bob
03-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Why did you switch to a different cue?

Did you want a nicer looking cue?

Cornerman
03-07-2007, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I don't know if I should just keep hitting with this cue to see if I get used to it or not. Has anyone else experienced this? <hr /></blockquote>This happens every time. The good thing is that you can start to hone in on the things you like and dislike.

I have a couple of cues that other people love to shoot with, but just don't fit the criteria I like.

Fred

mantis
03-07-2007, 10:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Why did you switch to a different cue?

Did you want a nicer looking cue? <hr /></blockquote>

I was playing with a basic "players" brand cue. I did not like the amount of feedback the cue had, and was looking for a more solid feel. It was a looks thing. The other cue is very classy looking, but totally basic.

Rod
03-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Change the tip. If the shaft is to fat you can have it tapered different. As a caution I would not run out and have wood cut off a perfectly good shaft. Is the weight and balance the same? As Fred mentioned, learn to know what you like and dislike. Once you know specs you like or dislike change accordingly.

We all have had cues that don't feel exactly right. Consider it a learning curve until you know what you like. If your game is at a lower level (which I assume it is) you will be learning for years.

Rod