PDA

View Full Version : Are our political views THAT important?

sack316
03-07-2007, 02:08 AM
first let me start by asking that you please forgive me if I am talking out of my rear end here but...

One of my favorite things about this message board has always been the fact that we have always been somewhat of an extended family in some way, shape, or form. All of us longtime members have shared and been through some of the happiest moments as well as the most tragic events of many of our lives over the last few years. We've all BS'ed through petty things, and gotten down to many deep and sincere topics as well. With that being said...

For no real reason at all, I just happened to notice that in the last few weeks, both myself and Mike (cueball1950) have had posts asking for thoughts and prayers for loved ones. I'm sure Mike will agree, that the responses-- no matter how big or small-- are invaluable.

BUT, when you look at it, so many of those political related posts (as interesting as some may be) far outshadow the requests for thoughts and prayers in both views and responses. I don't feel I need to cite any specific examples, as one can simply look at the list of threads and see the numbers plain as day.

And some of us wonder why this board has slowed down so much, and certain members have disappeared...

I fear we're losing that certain something that was always special about this board. I remember when all the stuff was going on with Chris, and it seemed all of us "regulars" were checking in non-stop to stay abreast of the situation and give our best wishes to him and his family.

Now it seems most of us would rather dribble on about Pelosi's jet, or Gore's movie and power bills, rather than give the love and support to a friend when it is needed most.

As I said, perhaps I am simply talking out of my rear here, but this is simply an observation I made just now. Take from it what you will.

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Sack,
I see twenty six views of your post, and no one answered you, so here's my answer.

I agree with you that the post about Pelosi was a waste. Just some partisan nit-picking. Global Warming is pretty important, though.

I think, also, our country is at war, and we're losing it, and more and more of our young people are dying everyday. More than Six generals, have spoken out against the incompetence of this President's policies and prosecution of the War in Iraq. Many CIA agents retired in protest to the administration's lies. Whistle blowers were fired for speaking out against the squandering of our tax dollars in Iraq, and the war profiteering of halliburton, and other Defense contractors, several of them with ties to Dick Cheney. Many, many experts spoke out against the occupation of Iraq, the fixed intelligence, the poor planning, the poorly equipped troops, and lies of this President, and his appointees, and the insanity of sending more troops into Baghdad. A number of our Generals have retired in protest, or been pushed out by Rumsfeld, and/or ridiculed for their protests. Our deficits are out of sight, and China holds a vast portion of our debt. There are many more hungry children in our country than we had six years ago, and our educational system has declilned, with more drop outs. Our present energy policy was formed behind closed doors, in secret, and we are being occupied by Mexico, as our president sends in more troops to die in Iraq, in a war which cannot be won militarily. We have lost many allies, and we have an impotent Secretary Of State, unable to succeed in any valuable agreements or peace accords. Close to seventy percent of the people in this country believe that Bush is incompetent, that we are losing the war, that Iraq was a mistake, that there is really no longer a good solution available to remedy the damage done by Rumsfeld, whom Bush refused to get rid of in spite of general after general, stating that he was incompetent, arrogant, hard headed, and condescending to Military advice. We have a president who is our of touch with realilty, refuses to take advice from others who are much more intelligent, and experienced, and who refuses to take responsibility for his own poor judgement, who blames the very people who tried to warn him, for the mess he has created. I venture to say, that never in my lifetime, have I seen such danger and devastation to our country, and it's future.

So, here is my question. Why aren't we all marching in the streets? Why aren't we all demanding that this man be impeached? Why aren't we all outraged over every single dead American soldier? Why aren't we all turning off Fox News, boycotting Anne Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and the republicans who blocked the investigations into the presidents law breaking? What lie can ever be told that is as bad as a lie that sends our people to war? And, why do ANY Americans want to silence those of us who refuse to act as though everything is A-OK in this country.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
We talk politics because it is the one thing that controls a large (too large, IMO) part of our lives.
On the other hand, Ed posted a thread about music that has both the left and right agreeing on something.
And I for one have had Mike on my prayer list...I'm sure others have as well.
We may not agree on everything, but when it comes right down to it, we are all somewhat of a family here. And just like your brothers and sisters, you may not agree with them all the time, but your feelings for them don't usually change.
Steve

sack316
03-08-2007, 03:41 AM
thanks for the replies Gayle and Steve.

Gayle, while I may not completely agree with all of your points, I do actually see what your point is... which in iteslf is enough. And those who are in the same group as you that feel the same way, in that respect you are absolutely right as far as the "why are we not marching in the streets..." etc. BUT my thought is, anyone (on either side) posting their political beliefs on the CCB message board is accomplishing what exactly? Obviously the satisfaction of stating thier beliefs-- which is a good thing--, and also hopefully drumming up some food for thought and intelligent debate-- which is also a good thing. But what changes in the world is it doing for anybody in reality (other than the satisfaction and conversation for the poster)? Whereas a simple reply to Mike for him and his wife that would take all of maybe 10 seconds to do would probably mean an awful lot to him.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT at all saying the political stuff is bad or unnecessary. On the contrary it's actually pretty fun and the posts are often interesting reads My point is that should those particular posts take so much more of our interest in relation to a request for help from a fellow "family member".

I guess what I'm saying is that if a buddy called me to talk about an Aunt that's sick, and another buddy calls wanting to talk about global warming and the war... I'd no doubt talk to the friend with a sick Aunt and save the other conversation for later. Then when I wake up the next day, I'd probably check on my friends Aunt before I read up on what's going on in Iraq and how much of the polar ice caps melted.

This is all JMHO, of course.

Sack

Deeman3
03-08-2007, 07:32 AM
The politics we discuss are not real important and are partisan or we'd all agree on everything. The real important thing is that we have the right to agree and disagree and that the larger issues, many Gayle has mentioned, are out in the open, understood and debated for our own values evaluation and change of heart if warrented.

I respect all on this forum and only want the best for them and my country. If we disagree on what that is, so what? We won't change much beyond our little circle unless we are volunteering to help in causes and voting our conscience as we should. The rest is simple debate that I have to take a break from on occasion but as I have said before, I know most of us would sacrifice all to give the right to our worst opponent to speak their mind.

I started hearing is Obama too black and that so and so is a Mormon, Dyke, etc. If any of us are voting because we want to call Bush a "Chimp" or question if Obama is a secret plant for Islam, we have our hearts and minds in the wrong place. I like everyone here and pray (my right) for each of you, wheather you believe in God of not, and wish only Grace for you and your family.

I wish the name calling could subside a little and the reasoned debate be more civil but I'd rather have the worst of the worst than silence anyone here (with the exception of F/L) Sorry Wolfdancer, I just don't like drive by artists....Fats he ain't.

Gayle and I will have a nice dinner together one day and I will be thrilled to meet her. She is a passionate person who believes in her cause. I respect that and she knows that. Each of you have added, rather than detracted from my life in many ways and we are a slightly disfunctional family. Who amoung us is not?

DeeMan
nice post sack....

Gayle in MD
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks Sak, for your kind reply. One thing you may want to factor into your concerns, is that some of us here prefer to answer such posts, privately. I know that I often do so, with a pm. I guess I just don't see any connection between our caring responses to one another in the interest of friendly support, and good wishes, and political posts, in general.

Love,
Gayle in Md.

Fran Crimi
03-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Sack, I think yours was a brave and great post. Unfortunately, I think that most of the people who would agree with you are now gone for obvious reasons.

Fran

DickLeonard
03-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Sack 316 I have read your post many times I am now just responding. I thimk most posts are read by the regulars and sometimes we feel for the poster and his problem and lack the ability to put our feelings into words.

As an altarboy I found it difficult to move into the seedy World of Pool. The late Charlie "the Bear"Scalise would always say after our matches how he enjoyed playing with a Gentleman. It seemed that most hustler/poolplayers used their verbal harangue to get a game/then used it during the game to upset their opponent. ####

Gayle in MD
03-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Dee, and I am looking forward to that dinner, and hope it will be right here at my house, so you can give me some pointers after dinner on the pool table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think there are many friendships here on the CCB, alive and well, and just as supportive as ever, IMO. I still here through pm's, and e-mail, from a number of people who left CCB because they tired of the fighting and bashing on the pool related side of the board. I know I don't often post over there, myself, for the very same reason.

I do appreciate your support of free speech, and the value of exposure to the ideas of others, which one would think, all Americans would embrace, and particularly in these times.

I truly believe that debate and involvment are essential to the future of our country. I can't help but think, for example, that just maybe, one or two of the thousands of e-mails that I sent out about the conditions at Walter Reed, to the Washington Post, Hearst, The New York Times, and many other targeted reporters, and News organizations, may have hit the mark. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was sending them, but I like to think that mine were worth something, just the same.

I have nothing but the best wishes for all of our friends, here on the CCB, even those who are Republicans, and still think that Fox is a News Network, and that Coulter and Limbaugh are reporters, /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and truly, some here have become very dear friends, with whom I correspond daily, and weekly. I do wish that all the posts about pool, and politics, could be less judgemental, less antagonistic, on the personal level, and that is why I often will put some posters on total ignore, out of consideration for others, who, like myself, get tired of heated disagreements between two posters, that only serve to annoy others.

As for my passion, I only wish it were more contageous. We all need to be watchful, and involved, in the future of, and many concerns of our country at this time, IMO. That is something that I believe with all my heart.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

Thomas Jefferson...

Love,

Gayle

wolfdancer
03-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Gayle and Dee, dining together...mind boggling...how long before the mashed potatoes tossing starts?
I think you both would enjoy each other's company, and conversation....
As to Sack's question "Are our political views that important?"...mine are, of course.....lol
but Dick added the best reply. It's really very hard to express one's sympathy and concern here, on a message board.
I was reminded of Dave Syrja's last post "Checking out", and he passed on a few weeks later. What could we write that wouldn't read like "boiler plate"?
My belief is that when someone posts here, sharing a personal tragedy, they can take comfort in the fact that they do reach a number of us, and many do offer their prayers in support.
I wrote a pm to Deeman the other day, and tried to put into words, how I felt about the recent tragedy down there.....
Words just don't do it though....never seem to match one's thoughts.......

Deeman3
03-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Wolfdancer,

You and I communicate a lot on the PM line and I do appreciate your note from the other day. Sack and I have also exchanged such private comments and I appreciate each of those thoughful comments and support as well as the great stories you always have. I'm stealing everyone for my next book. Jack has "LIVED" and knows a lifeboat from a trawler....

DeeMan
....by the way, Gayle and I have both sworn off throwing mashed potatoes that could feed the poor and, of course, my 56 pounds of missing fat means I have not seen a mashed potato in months. I have it by good authority that Gayle is the best left wing cook in the western world so I'll not be late for that dinner.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
"I thimk most posts are read by the regulars and sometimes we feel for the poster and his problem and lack the ability to put our feelings into words."

That is where I sit after reading troublesome words about people I have known at a distance for time here. Personally speaking, I have a time lapse, kind of a void where I have to let these truths really hit me, and then I find words, and many times they are PM'd, but not most or all are in private. To me, it is important to say something which you really studied internally, and words with genuineness and in personal expression. Basically though, it has little to do with the politics except that politics had taken a toll on my involvement and hence the shoulder rubbing has naturally waned to a mere trickle than what it used to be in the past. These very personal turmoil and real life threats are things I have to take time with, reflect, have it sink in, and then I know my relation and my heart felt, sincere words to a friend. It all flows from me without a thought of organizing a thought, a line or a proper phrase. It happens with time.

Just me...sid

Ralph S.
03-14-2007, 01:20 AM
A most excellent observation Sack. I wish I had thought of it. I actually stopped coming to the NPR side for the very reason{S} you state in your post. This is the first time in months, that I can recall, actually reading and-or responding to a post on the NPR side. I'll be sure to say a prayer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif