PDA

View Full Version : What is calcutta?

canadan
03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
I've prob. been in one but cant put two and two together.

Cornerman
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> I've prob. been in one but cant put two and two together. <hr /></blockquote>A calcutta is a player auctioned, performed hopefully before the draw happens.

There are different rules on who you're betting on, but normally, anyone in the place (players, sweators, waitstaff, etc.) can bid on a player. If they win the player, the player has the right to buy in for half their action. So, if you buy a player for $40, he can split it with you.

The calcutta money is separate from the tournament money, so the tournament director will decide how much first place calcutta money is, second place, etc. Whatever place a player comes in, his buyer gets that particular calcutta money. If the player had no buyer, then the player who finished next in the tourney, his buyer gets the calcutta money. The player gets half the money if he bought half of himself.

There are areas across the country that calcuttas are deemed illegal. There are also tournament across the country where the calcutta money far exceeds the tournament payout.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of calcuttas at any level as a player, but I've been a fortunate recipient as a player and a buyer numerous occassions.

Fred

canadan
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
okey so I've never played in one before. Thanks now I undersrtand so if I'm a lower ranked player (league team dogger)and place in alot of turnys with high cal. players. Someone wants me to play in this big local turny 128 players are they hoping im a sleaper and get me for cheap?

Deeman3
03-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Canadan:

Fred is stearing you all wrong. It's where he sends his buddy in, enters the tournament under the name John Doe, and lets his buddy buy him for $25....JK /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I love Calcuttas, except the one in India....

Bob_Jewett
03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>... It's where he sends his buddy in, enters the tournament under the name John Doe, and lets his buddy buy him for $25... <hr /></blockquote>
Are you saying that there might be pool players who would actually do this sort of thing?!? Scandalous!

cushioncrawler
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
We had a situation where 2 players reeched the final, both were mates. If the better player lost, they, az a combined team, won more money. Here the calcutta prizes were about the same az the tourny prize, but the better player had bort hiz mate cheap (fairnuff), and an "outside syndicate had bort the better player. The better player lost.

I seem to recall that Willie Thorne was in a no-looz situation here in one (snooker) tourney. He met Higgins in the final, and had Higgins in the calcutta. Higgins won. Dont know the diff in $$$$. Not saying that Willie threw it, but this is the sort of situation that can come up. madMac.

Cornerman
03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> Someone wants me to play in this big local turny 128 players are they hoping im a sleaper and get me for cheap? <hr /></blockquote>Yep, you might be a sleeper.

I've got a few calcutta stories. I've played a tournament where I bought both the first and second place players, My calcutta win eeked out the 2nd place take.

In Ohio, in a little bar in Lima or Troy, I played a single game, double elimination 8-ball tournament for a $5 entry. The 16-player field took in more than $1000 in calcutta. I was one of four people that went over a hundred. I drew the eventual winner in the first round, of course.

I "snuck" into my local pool hall and played a full 32-player field 9-ball tournament and bought myself and the fourth place finisher for $5 each. And he also is local. Both of us are pretty well known in the area, but apparently, nobody thought we had a chance. I drilled the field, collected a pretty nice calcutta and purchased my first custom Jack Justis case the next day. It was my second day with my first Ray Schuler cue. Why I ever put that cue down is beyond me.

Fred

Ralph S.
03-08-2007, 12:32 AM
As a side note of something Fred didn't mention, is that should you decide to buy someone or they buy you, that the buying back of half of you or whoever is done before the tourney starts.

SPetty
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> I've got a few calcutta stories. <hr /></blockquote>I've got one...

The only time I was in a calcutta, it was a blind draw scotch doubles tourney at a little bar. When it was determined that my partner would be someone named "Bear", the only fellow in the place who knew me (and he knew Bear) jumped up and ran to his car to get the money to buy us in the calcutta. As I recall, we went pretty cheap, we bought half of ourselves, and we won the tournament.

Deeman3
03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>... It's where he sends his buddy in, enters the tournament under the name John Doe, and lets his buddy buy him for $25... <hr /></blockquote>
Are you saying that there might be pool players who would actually do this sort of thing?!? Scandalous! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Bob, I have a few similar stories to the ones above but, for safety's sake, will just listen this time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

DeeMan
did buy a guy for $50 and he didn't have the money to buy half back. He got second so I split anyway, minus the $50, of course...later that year, he stiffed me on a bet, live and learn.....just can't shut up, can I? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cornerman
03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> I've got a few calcutta stories. <hr /></blockquote>I've got one...

The only time I was in a calcutta, it was a blind draw scotch doubles tourney at a little bar. When it was determined that my partner would be someone named "Bear", the only fellow in the place who knew me (and he knew Bear) jumped up and ran to his car to get the money to buy us in the calcutta. As I recall, we went pretty cheap, we bought half of ourselves, and we won the tournament. <hr /></blockquote>Beautiful story, S. And this reminds me of something...

I don't care what anyone saz: Winning = Good!

Fred