PDA

View Full Version : Non partisan post

wolfdancer
03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Yesterday, on C-Span....Republican Congressman from N. Carolina, Walter Jones, took the admin to task for the proposal to allow Mexican trucks to complete their deliveries, to states far removed from the border. Besides costing thousands of American jobs,and making it easier to smuggle in "God knows what" from Mexico.....their trucking industry is not regulated by the same standards as ours...and "driver's logs?...we don't need no stinking logs"
If you have ever seen a truck lose it's brakes coming down a steep..6% grade( Cal has emergency runouts for this).....it's pretty scary. Poorly maintained trucks, driven by non-English speaking drivers, barreling down the road...and the sign warning "dangerous curve ahead" might as well be written in hieroglyphics.......

This is as bad a proposal as the one about letting Al-Qaeda guard our ports...or was that the Saudis?
It would be only fair, after mentioning this party malcontent to add something about N. Cal's. other fine Republican Congressman, apparatchik, Rep. Robin Hayes
Dateline 2005:
"A Republican congressman from North Carolina told CNN on Wednesday that the "evidence is clear" that Iraq was involved in the terrorist attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001.

"Saddam Hussein and people like him were very much involved in 9/11," Rep. Robin Hayes said.

Told no investigation had ever found evidence to link Saddam and 9/11, Hayes responded, "I'm sorry, but you must have looked in the wrong places."

Hayes, the vice chairman of the House subcommittee on terrorism, said "legislators have access to evidence others do not."

pooltchr
03-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Robin Hayes is one of the few voices of conservatives in Raleigh. That being said, even a solid conservative such as myself, would have to agree that he does get a little far out to the right edge from time to time, as noted above. I can forgive him somewhat, since he has been one leading the charge to stop our state from issuing drivers licenses to people who have no documentation to prove that they have a legal right to even be in NC, much less to drive here.
Rep Sue Myric just introduced a bill in Congress called the Scott Gardner bill, which would require any illegal alien caught DWI to be deported. Scott Gardner was a highly respected teacher who was killed when a drunk illegal alien drove his car across the center line and slammed into the Gardner family car head on. He was here illegally, and had multiple prior DWI convictions.
I would urge everyone to write your congress person (see, I can be PC! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif )and ask them to support passage of this bill.
Steve

wolfdancer
03-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Steve, it sounds like a bill that should be passed, without debate.
I remember a popular columnist in the Bay Area, that was killed the same way that you mentioned.
I'm sure both of your congressmen are good people....and I admire the one that spoke up, not only against this proposal, but mentioned that in the past 6 years, we went from an "exporter" to Mexico, to an "importer", with a huge balance of trade deficit..... and he wasn't even considering the drug trade

Gayle in MD
03-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Jack,
This ties into the latest, well, one of last week's latest, Republican Scandals, the mass firings of United States Attorney's General, an act commited by our corrupt national Attorney General, Gonzales, who lied to the Congress and the Senate about the reasons for mass firings. It is no coincidence that they were all from the south west, where the administration has continually ignored law breaking by illegal aliens, and used it's power to influence cases which have been steered away from the jaws of justice, such as the convictions against the border patrol agents, whose lives are not at risk in jails. The huge increase of illegals are also a huge part of the increase in violent crimes in many of our inner cities, and particularly noticable in child abductions of late. The administration has shown they will find other shady ways to maintain their imperialistic, over-reaching, abuse of power, by utilizing the over reaching power provided in their Patriot Act, aka, the blueprint for Bush's present Authoritarin, fascist, illegal assault on American civil liberties, and the principles of our government. There is no doubt, that the Bush administration's lies about this most unusual action, amount to nothing less than a systematic attempt to corrupt the Federal Justice System, for short term political gain.

The Attorney's general, when they testified last week, stated they had been pressured by Republican Senators, to fast go forward with any investigations against democrats, before the election, among other illegal tactics. Gonzales slandered them, in his testimoney, previous to theirs, saying they were fired for incompetence, a lie which was later proven by their excellent ratings, and further testimony on the hill by many others. When the nation's chief law enforcement official can lie with such complete arrogance, (I saw this live, BTW) we are in great trouble.

While the administrations's cover up of Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, and Ari Fleicher's illegal outing of a covert C.I.A. agent goes forward, I am relieved that both Valarie Plame, and I hope, also, Patrick Fitsgerald, will be speaking with our representative next week. Fitzgerald has been asked, but has not yet given an answer. His statements, after the announcement of the conviction of Scooter Libby, made it quite clear, that Libby was covering up for Cheney with his lies, I believe Cheney was also involved in the break in of the Niger Embassey, hence, his over-reaction to Joe Wilson's poking around into the whole issue of the fake documents on Yellow Cake Uranium. Ledeem, who was part of the neocon think tank, The American Enterprise Institute, which was filled with the neocons responsible for concocting this absurd theory of addressing our probelems in the middle east, by invading Iraq, was also one of the signers of the "Project For A New American Century" paper, delivered to Bill Clinton, pressing for the occupation of Iraq, which he had the good sense to reject.

Appraising the damage to our country by the Republican party, and particularly the neocons, and their joint coharts, the Corporate Fascists, who control much of American Media, and their exploitation of the fanatical religious right, is a never ending study, which reaches into almost every aspect of American life, from health care, to the occupation of our own country by illegals, to the destruction of our laws, l;oss of jobs, redistribution of wealth, anti American trade practices, future economic security, loss of privacy, attacks against constituional rights, and the obvious corruption in the White House, in fact, the worst W.H. corruption since the Reagan and the Nixon Administrations.

This is the time for vigilence.

No president, has ever created this kind of mass occupation of illegal convicts into our country through his often vailed invitations in the interest of the Corporate Fascist Pigs, for cheap labor.

As we continue to watch this administration rape our country of tax money, meant, for example, to provide health care for our troops, and instead used to buy more bullets and rockets for an illegal, immoral war, I am thankful that there has been atleast some oversight through the Democratic majority.

I have noticed, the Republican representatives from North and South Carolina to be the most outspoken Bush supporters. I have to leave the room when Sessions, and Graham start with their lies, and blank check support of Bush, against our best interests.

Between the right wing, fascist corporate owned news media, such as Fox, the faith based interruption into government affairs, and the neocon, republican anti-conservative, anti American attacks against our constitutional rights, I must say, John Dean's book, Without Conscience and the many warnings about the neocon fascist authoritarian take over which we are witnessing, and which Dean wrote about, are becomming much more pronounced in the daily news.

"When fascism comes to America it will come wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross."

Sinclair Lewis - 1935

I should add, that I don't thin most of the good religious people in this country understand how they are being exploited by this fascists take over. Atleast, they can clearly see some of the results, through Bush's on going invitation to illegal aliens, for the benefit of his Corporate Fascist Imperialists co-hearts, and their quest for cheap labor. I might add, that I find the Democratic position as regards Illegals, equally disgusting.

pooltchr
03-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Gayle,
I hate to burst your bubble, but at the risk of being accused of partisan politics, I would like to point out that your man Bill fired 92 AG's when he took office. Can you enlighten us as to what his motives were?
Thank You
Steve

Gayle in MD
03-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Steve,
All due respect, but your questions regarding these firings, and the comparison to Clinton, suggest that you don't have the full story on what Gonzales has done. Arlen Specter, for example, is hinting for Gonzales to be removed from office. Gonzales lied to the Senate Investigation Committee about the reasons why these people were fired, did so in a way which was slanderous, and the DOJ, used intimidation against them, in an effort to politicize indictments. There are also atleast two Republican Representatives being investigated for trying to intimidate them. A president has the right to replace attorney's general, and they often do so, in order to re-route them into often higher positions in Government, but not because he can't control their decisions. These actions go far beyond your comparison to Clinton.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
03-10-2007, 08:22 AM
I know! I'm sorry! I forgot!
If GW does it, it's wrong. If Bill did it, it's o-k.
I'll try to remember in the future.
Steve

Gayle in MD
03-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Don't you get a bit tired of taking the same ol' pot shots, week after week, after refusing to address the facts I provide? I point out the issues held by Democrats with which I disagree. The difference between you and I, Steve, is that you see the illegal, immoral, anti-American activity of the neocons in a "Politics as usual" light, but I, along with many Americans, Law Professors, and Constitutional experts, see their actions as unprecedented, which they are.

The Democrats have had their scandals too, over the years. I don't recall a democratic president breaking the law to spy on us, for example. I don't recall one breaking the Geneva conventions. Snubbing his nose at the entire United Nations and launching a pre-emptive occupation of another country, for the purpose of regime change. I don't recall any congress, like the last Republican Majoirty Congress, giving the president a blank check to break all the laws he wishes to break. Don't recall a democratic president using an unprecedented number of signing statements in order to by-pass congressional legislation.

You're not even addressing the issue of what Gonzales did, and your comparison to Clinton, is evidence that you obviously don't know what the infraction is all about. Here is a link...not that I think you'd consider readint it...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/08/AR2007030801087.html

Here's another one, about more law breaking, by none other than Gonzales, and the F.B.I., about illegal spying on Americans...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070309/national-security-letters

Bush's imperial presidency could never have gotten off the ground, without the complicity of the Republicans, who, btw, have been indicted left and right. Maybe you're OK with all their previous law breaking, corruption and lies, but I'm not. If it makes you happy to paint me as making my political decisions out of unrealistic partisan beliefs, have at it, but atleast, read the links I provide to back up what I write about, before you attack my conclusions, if you intend to continue with your pot shots. I notice, after I provide the facts, that's the end of any reasonable discussion between us, and then it's back to the sarcasm and insults, without any acknowledgment of the facts which you obviously don't wish to face, or didn't even know about in the first place, I guess I know what THAT means.

I think you need to wake up and accept the fact that George Bush is running this country, and therefore, he is responsible for anything, and everything, that his appointees do or fail to do. I hold him accountable for all such things and actions. You, on the other hand, look the other way, refusing to acknowledge his many failures, and illegal actions, and lies. Which one of us is partisan?
I suppose you think that seventy percent of Americans, who disapprove of George Bush, are all partisan democrats?

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
03-10-2007, 11:47 AM
To Use Your oft overused words, Once again, you miss the point.

From the Washington Post...Abbey Lowell..

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

The Bush administration's folly is not that it attempted to choose, supervise and coordinate outstanding attorneys who would adhere to the same priorities and practices but that near the end of its tenure it tried to regulate specific offices in specific investigations. There can be no disagreement about this: Once a U.S. attorney has been appointed, that person's particular investigations and cases must be totally off-limits to questions from the White House or anyone in Congress. There is simply too much room for any such inquiry to be (or to be perceived as) a request that a case be brought, or not brought, to allow any exceptions.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

You're comparing apples to oranges. Also, I might add, not one, but two Republicans are being investigated for having tried to use pressure, and intimidation, on these Attorney's General, for political purposes. And, in trying to defend this over reach of White House Power, Gonzales lied about the reasons for the firings, in the process, slandering the people involved by contending they were fired because they were incompetent. Their actions, behavior, and credentials, proved otherwise.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
03-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I just don't understand these attempts to justify present wrong-doings , by anything that happened in the past.
Does the "Teapot Dome" scandal mean it's ok for all these political/big oil/Saudis....deals to be ongoing?
Tampering with the justice dep't is a serious allegation, and one we should all be concerned about.....partisan politics aside.
You can't "Right" a wrong....pun intended

Gayle in MD
03-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Honestly, I'm being very serious now, I have a hard time determining if that nutty 30% I always talk about, are just ignorant, because they only get news from the vast right wing fascist press, or if they just don't have the capacity to grasp the seriousness of all the Bush lies and law breaking, or are they just too damn partisan to allow themselves to admit to, or care about what's happening?

BTW, various religious leaders are doing a sort of fumigation of evil spirits behind Bush's path on his trip. Good example of how much damage he has done to the United States Of America, and the way we are viewed by the rest of the world, after his devastating effect on the way foreignors view our country. Gee, ya think it would do any good if we asked them come here, to put a differenct kind of cloud above the White House than the one mentioned by Patrick Fitzgerald?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Gayle in Md.