PDA

View Full Version : Rack your own 9 Ball

Cydpkt
03-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I've read a few books on the best layout when racking for 9 ball to make it as hard as possible for your opponent. We have a tournament around here where you rack for yourself. (Can't blame your opponent for a bad rack) I've never seen any information on racking for yourself for an easier run. What are your feelings on making an "easy" run with your rack? What would be the best possible layout? 1, 2, 3 down the same side?

bsmutz
03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Allen Hopkins had something that I read a couple of years ago about this. I think he recommended the 2 and 3 as the wing balls. It should still be on the web somewhere.

bataisbest
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I always thought it was bad luck to break your own rack. Except of course if you're practicing on your own. But if that's the tournament format , oh well .

Cydpkt
03-09-2007, 03:31 PM
One guy around here complains that he watched someone in a tournament rack the 1, 2, 3 down the side. They then broke making the one in the side and had position on the 2 guaranteed. Does anyone change their breaking position in relation to where the 2 ball is in the rack? I've thought of tracking where the balls are likely to go depending on the position they are in when racked. I guess I need to make the time to do this.

SPetty
03-09-2007, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> I've thought of tracking where the balls are likely to go depending on the position they are in when racked. I guess I need to make the time to do this. <hr /></blockquote>Save the time and spend the cash for Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets DVD http://www.joetucker.net or ceebee's Great Break Book (that contains Joe's Racking Secrets right in it) http://www.BreakRak.com

Cydpkt
03-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks I will check them out.

ras314
03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
One thing I learned from ceebee's book that was completely new to me was how a rack would look when set up for the 9 to go in the corner pocket. It did definitely improve the odds.

Most common "fudged" rack I see is an attempt to increase or decrease (when racking for the opponent) the odds of the wing balls going.

Personally I think the rack your own concept is naive at best.

If anyone is playing for a little cash with strangers I rate Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets (or cb's book) a must have. Not to try to learn how to be a rack mechanic, but to learn when this stuff is getting pulled on you.

BigRigTom
03-11-2007, 12:09 PM
I've never played in a tournament where you got to rack your own break so it just never occurred to me to rack so that it would be to the breaker's advantage.
I have read several opinions on how to make the break and run as difficult as possible while still giving a good tight and fair rack.
The order as I know if is:

How does this compare with what others have read, or even to what Joe's secrets suggest( I never read Joe's secrets but do have his Drills Book and some of the Sharpshooter Stickers).

ras314
03-11-2007, 02:13 PM
The 9 ball rack order Tucker shows as "not for the breaking opponent's benefit":

Idea being to create distance between shots in case a corner ball is pocketed.

I saw an argument at the US open a few years ago which seemed to be over the rack. In fact there was an announcement that the next player to say a word to the other player would lose the match and an official racked for the rest of the match, IIRC.

Snapshot9
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Either way, you should always check the rack. As some are rack mechanics, and besides being able to rack against their opponent, some can rack in their favor when they break.

ras314
03-11-2007, 06:43 PM
I usually don't bother to check racks in bar tournaments, or if I happen to know whoever I'm playing enough to trust. In pool hall tournaments with more money at stake I will usually check the rack, sometimes very carefully if something seems odd about the breaks. Best approach is to learn to read racks to decide what type of break is best. Most non-perfect racks will be due to the table or ineptitude anyway; if someone is trying to improve his odds that approach will probably affect his mental game.

Actually, at the rather low level I play, the usual rack issues I see is with 3 ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cydpkt
03-12-2007, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I've never played in a tournament where you got to rack your own break so it just never occurred to me to rack so that it would be to the breaker's advantage.
I have read several opinions on how to make the break and run as difficult as possible while still giving a good tight and fair rack.

I've read to rack them

This is supposed to separate the 2 and 3 making it harder for your opponent to get started. Of course there are some ethics involved if and when I would be racking for myself. If that was the case (as Joe Tucker shows) the 9 ball break would be a huge advantage. I watched a $$ game over here where you racked for yourself so there wasn't a disagreement over a bad rack.
The order as I know if is:

How does this compare with what others have read, or even to what Joe's secrets suggest( I never read Joe's secrets but do have his Drills Book and some of the Sharpshooter Stickers). <hr /></blockquote>