PDA

View Full Version : Body Not Over Mind

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Ok I'm not old(55) and I am not young, yet my mind when playing keeps prodding me time after time to think the latter of the two. Days at the ph many times begin at 1pm, many times I even find myself closing the place down at 2am scrambling for a cash recovery, waking the next day feeling like I was run over by a truck.

Here's the point: How have you veterans maintained? Does common sense and reality sink in and a general change of life for the correction, or do you continue to thrive on the zesty feeling of being undestructable? SOME day I wonder...will I HAVE to moderate, and if so, how do I curb the addiction, cuz that's what it is, an addiction. Now I am not slamming the sport we have chosen, just wondering when the reality of age and physical limitations cause us to redesign our MO in the normal stents of competition.

Best thing I can say for "having legs" for a long play-day is that the other guy(s) have to stick with you through the grind of the long day, yet the younger guys certainly have more stamina by physical nature of less years. As you may can tell, I'm coming off of a killer day yesterday, had to scramble late to dig myself out of a $$$-hole to get back even, so I thought I'd lean on you guys to find out, "Is there a cross roads of reality as you age that you realign and moderate?" Sorry if this sounds wimpy, but I am dwelling on the question today. Thanks in advance...sid

Snapshot9
03-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I just turned 59, and I really started to feel my stamina start to go down when I was 58. You just have to be careful when matching up not to get into matches running more than 10 hours or so. Big 3 day tournaments start to wear on me too.

dg-in-centralpa
03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Sid,
I'm 48 and I feel it. I don't stay out late to play pool but on Friday night's when it's poker time, I'll take an hour or so nap and then play 'til the wee hours. Fran had mentioned doing this before a night of pool. Kinda helps you get recharged.

DG - coming up on the second anniversary of my second lease on life

Dagwood
03-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Sid, I'm only 29, so I'm a bit younger and havne't hit that age where my body may start to not keep up with my motivation. But even for me a long day/night at the PH is felt in the morning. Well, it did at least. Before I joined the Army and working out regularly, a full 12+ hours in the pool hall or 2-3 day tourney felt like someone had taken a baseball bat to my feet, knees and arms. But I've found that running and working out the upper body has improved my stamina (even for a young'un) over long hauls and I don't feel it so much in the morning. Maybe on the days off if you have time, go out and take a run or brisk walk for a half-hour or so preceeded by some push ups and sit ups...something to limber up. Just a thought.

Dags