PDA

View Full Version : Bigot/Strickland?

nAz
07-22-2002, 06:22 PM
Can someone tell me what exactly strickland has said and done to warrant being
called a Bigot? or maybe send me to a legitimate link where i can find out for myself.
Im not an expert on pool and or human being like most folks here but maybe
someone can explain it to me

07-22-2002, 09:34 PM
???don't know

nAz
07-22-2002, 09:36 PM
that was me... i guess no one knows? about strickland that is
must be "hear say"

Cueless Joey
07-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Naz,
There's already a long thread on Earl here. Two of them already.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=24754&page =0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=1&vc=1
Tony thinks he's a racist. I think he's a bigot.
If you come to LA, I'll introduce you to the woman and her friend whom Earl barked at and asked, "why are you cheering for him..."

nAz
07-22-2002, 10:05 PM
I read all those treads but i was wondering if they were based on facts or just BS
from player haters.

normally i wouldn't give a fack about it, but there seems to be a lot of people angry
that he has done well. i wonder what's real and what's bull.

"Earl's great line to the people cheering for Efren at the Bicycle Club back in '94 still
echoes around here. "Why are you cheering for him, I'm the white guy?"
well that does sound like a racist, has he said anything else since then? maybe he has
changed his mind about race? by the way which tony thinks he is a racist?

well oh i know is that i enjoy pro pool more with characters like him in it. gives you
a good guy VS bad guy slant to the game (depends on your point of view)
having two great,terrific,charming people in a finals game sounds boring to me. i
mean who do root for? well guess some might think that's a sad commentary on
pool fans.
that's prob. why its not on regular TV in this country

Cueless Joey
07-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Sorry, I meant Troy.
No, this is not coming from player haters.
See him play in person and you'll find out.

Nostroke
07-23-2002, 06:39 AM
I heard him say "Why you cheering for him, he is a foreigner" at the US open last year or the one before.

Ross
07-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Earl has a bit of redneck in him and may have made some xenophobic comments. He also is highly vociferous about being "pro-American." On the other hand he seems genuinely fond of Efren and praises him repeatedly. In any case, I don't think it is fair to stick a "racist" label on someone based on a single comment he may or may not have made years ago.

A couple of years ago another pro (damn - I'm blocking on his name) made the comment to the US Open crowd "Why are you supporting the foreigners?" I know, I was there. He was well-up on Efren and then Efren beat him something like 8 in a row and the crowd started cheering wildly for Efren. That's when he made the comment in anger and stomped off.

07-23-2002, 09:51 AM
I was there also and he was frustrated because he felt he should have gotten more applause. And why are they (mostly Americans) cheering for him (Reyes) This does not make him racist or a bigot.......... When in the heat of battle political correctness goes out the window in many sports. He needs lessions on PR maybe, but still one of the best ever in 9- ball. A lot of the people
here have not even been to the US OPEN. You have missed out..
Most pros are not polished and schooled in political correctness as they were educated on the pool table and then much later had to learn to deal with the media and fans effectively.

Remember NASCAR Tony Stewart's PR education???

BillyR in NC

Cueless Joey
07-23-2002, 10:11 AM
"Most pros are not polished and schooled in political correctness as they were educated on the pool table and then much later had to learn to deal with the media and fans effectively"
That explains it.

nAz
07-23-2002, 11:00 AM
I See... i think , your right Cueless that does explain it

Fred Agnir
07-23-2002, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ross:</font><hr>

A couple of years ago another pro (damn - I'm blocking on his name) made the comment to the US Open crowd "Why are you supporting the foreigners?" I know, I was there<hr></blockquote>
Reed Pierce

07-23-2002, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I was there also and he was frustrated because he felt he should have gotten more applause. And why are they (mostly Americans) cheering for him (Reyes) This does not make him racist or a bigot.......... When in the heat of battle political correctness goes out the window in many sports. He needs lessions on PR maybe, but still one of the best ever in 9- ball. <hr></blockquote>

What kind of bent justification is that? He's a bad loser so he's forgiven for the odd rascist outburst? Asking why they're cheering for his opponent, when he's the white guy goes way beyond being un-PC. PR is lying. And doing it well. So Earl undoubtedly needs lessons in that, if he wants to be seen as an all-round nice guy.

Ross
07-23-2002, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Reed Pierce <hr></blockquote>

Thanks - for the life of me I couldn't remember his name. Early onset dementia, I think :-)