PDA

View Full Version : my progress

marek
03-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi people!
It has been a while since my last post and even much longer since my last post about my pool achievements. Last 10 months I have been working really hard on my stance and head alignment so my tournament results werent as good as I wanted but even so I was able to qualify to national squad for upcoming European championships which will take place in my home country and will begin 4 days from now. I have recieved a spot in one discipline only as I finished in 5th place in the overall Czech extraleague ranking. Also there was national championship in 8ball, 9ball and straight pool. I ended 7th both in 8ball and 9ball but straight pool was another story! Straight pool nationals took place on this saturday, best 8 czech players were fighting for the medals. In my first match my opponent played veeeery careful game running 2 racks and safety 3 times in a row, I really didnt have a chance to get into match. He finally made a mistake when leading 95-19 in race to 100. I was able to reply with a run of 48 ended by nearly impossible stratch of cueball in the middle pocket so I was sent to the losers bracket. As it was shortened version of double elimination format I still needed only two wins to get medal. My next opponent was grinding it out so was I. It was a slow match full of safeties but in the end I was victorious 100:88. Another victory and the medal could be mine! But I had super tough opponent who has beaten me throughout this season many times with few replies from my side. I knew I had to play my best to advance into the semifinal. He got into early lead 24:3 and then he made a stupid mistake. I went to the table and started to get point by point. After 20 balls or so I got into the perfect rythm and I really enjoyed the game. I made 73 balls, unfortunatelly I decided to play very slow shot from the rail which I didnt hit good and gave my opponent a chance. His nerves were probably shattered by my run as he made only 3 balls and then missed. I went to the table and continued my run as it never ended so I was able to make 24 and out. By this I had a certainty of medal position. But I felt I can do more on that day. I decided to play super careful game, no need for heroics as I already made some on that day. My first real mistake came when I was leading 80:24, he ran 30 from there but it wasnt enough for him and I was able to finish him. By this victory I got into the final which was to be played on sunday during so called „The day of finals“. During „The day of finals“ all finals of every discipline and category is played. My final opponent was the best player of Czech extraleague this season, I knew I had to play flawless pool to beat him. We both were nervous in the beginning of the match, I was able to make run of 42 to get into the lead 49:10, 15 minutes later it was 63:20. Then I played good safety. Well I thought it was good safety. My opponent played marvelous carom shot and by that he started a run of 40. then he played safety. I wasnt able to play a shot or play a safety back so he run another 40 and out...What to say – he is the best right now. But overall I was very happy with my performance. Right now I am really looking forward the EC..
Btw recently I made my new PB in snooker where I made 56 points run. Not bad for someone who plays snooker 2 times a year..

wolfdancer
03-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Marek, it's hard to describe a pool match, so that the reader gets a feel for the "drama"
you've done as good a job as any professional .....good story, good read!!!
You're game sounds excellent already, and improving always.
Good luck in the upcoming events....and who knows...we may someday see a "Marek" over here, competing well against our pros.......

CarolNYC
03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Marek,
I think thats awesome-great job- enjoyed reading every detail -
Like Jack said, its hard to describe each match and what excitement you must have been feeling but I felt it for you when you described the "medal match" and I like that "super careful , no heroic" line,too /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You seem like a very humble player and always giving respect to your opponents-you will go very far!
I wish you alot of luck and also, you sound like your having ALOT of fun-good job! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

marek
03-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi Wolfie! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Its always a great pleasure for me to hear that people enjoy my stories. Still working hard and still feeding my dream... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

marek
03-13-2007, 02:03 AM
Hi Carol!
Glad to hear you enjoyed my story. "Super careful,no heroic" line was the exact image of my game in that match as I would really hate to lose on stupid mistake in that one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Not so sure about that "humble player" part though.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif On the other hand I always give respect to my opponents except when they dont deserve it = when they act like Earl Strickland. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rich R.
03-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Marek, everytime I read one of your stories, I am instantly looking forward to the next. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Please keep us posted on your future tournaments.