PDA

View Full Version : Helmsetter Cue

Morris183
03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
My wife surprised me and purchased a Helmstetter cue from a place in West Palm Beach, Fla called J & R. I'd never heard the name before so I guess I need your help.It's a JR 11 Prince. TIA Moe

trob
03-13-2007, 04:03 AM
I know there a pretty old cue manufaturer. I've never hit with one but my best bud has a Balabushka which they now make and it has a good solid hit.

DickLeonard
03-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Morris a little off the subject. I saw an article on a bettles attacking ash trees. They could if unchecked wipe out the ash tree. ####

Pizza Bob
03-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Helmstetter and Adam cues are both the "children" of Dick Helmstetter, currently the CEO of Callaway Golf. He started these companies in Japan in the early 70's by first having an association with Mickey (now Mickey/Mezz) cues and then getting his own production facility. Not sure if he still has a stake in the cue business or not. They are well made Japanese imports and have had some interesting designs through the years. As stated, they bought the rights to the Balabushka name and also manufacture a line of cues under that brand.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Deeman3
03-13-2007, 07:14 AM
I have one of Dick's Adams prototypes that ended up being the top of the line cue in the old Adam's line. I think it was made in 1970. I purchased it new in 1971. It has double inlaid points and several exotic woods. A little heavy to use as a pool cue and, to me, more suited for 3 cushion with it's stiff spine.

DeeMan