PDA

View Full Version : What cue do you play with?

BRussell
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
This has probably been done before here, but I couldn't find a recent thread on it.

I play with a Huebler Sneaky Pete. I got it about 16 years ago for $100. It has the original shaft, but has gotten a bit warped. I don't really know enough to know if it's considered a good cue, but it's simple and I like it.

What do you play with?

caedos
03-12-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=234700&Forum=cc b&Words=what%20cue%20do&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Sear chpage=0&Limit=2500&Old=allposts&Main=234700&Searc h=true#Post234700

or search "what cue do" in the archives, all post dates

also search "first cue" or a search on a group of preferred names might get it (ie: Shuler, McDermott, Meucci, Gina, etc...)

also go to AZ and look it up (www.azbilliards.com in their forum archives)

oz

Rich R.
03-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm still playing with the two Capone cues, mentioned in the thread Carl referred you to. I'm not ready to change yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

canadan
03-12-2007, 08:02 PM
ever here of a minnisoda fats? My bud got one from the fillipines for $10 CND Seems to play well

Dagwood
03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Still playing with this cue...but will be getting a new one from barry in the upcoming months...hopefully sometime this summer. my Cameron Cue (http://www.cameroncues.com/closecues/cue_10.htm)

dags

trob
03-13-2007, 03:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Still playing with this cue...but will be getting a new one from barry in the upcoming months...hopefully sometime this summer. my Cameron Cue (http://www.cameroncues.com/closecues/cue_10.htm)

dags <hr /></blockquote>
I'm playing with a joss. It's fairly new..well kinda. It was a model made in the late 80's that was never played with until I got it. My break cue is a cuetek jump/break. I hate the way they hit except for breaking and jumping. I might pick up either a predator shaft or a whole cue at the super billiards exp..not sure yet.

Cornerman
03-13-2007, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BRussell:</font><hr>
I play with a Huebler Sneaky Pete. <hr /></blockquote> Without a doubt, my very favorite sneaky pete. I wish I had one.
[ QUOTE ]

What do you play with? <hr /></blockquote>This is one of those oft asked questions that I don't mind seeing. Probably because every it comes up, I have a different answer. Not because I'm looking for a magic wand, but because I like playing with different cues. And I always gravitate back to the one I like the best... Schuler.

I have four Schuler Cues. The current one I play with is a custom-made SLC, two are from the Ivan Lee era, and one is a really old one from early 80's that Cathy Schuler signed for me a few years ago. To my knowledge (and the Schuler Cue's knowledge), she's only signed one cue.

Fred &lt;~~~ lucky

Pizza Bob
03-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Depends on where I am. I travel for business and keep cues in our regional offices. In California I play with a Capone. In St. Louis I play with a Jim Buss and at home I alternate between a Capone and a Kilby.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

joepool
03-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Playing cue: Predator SPW w Z shaft (19.5 oz)
Break cue : Predator BK (18.5 oz)
Bunji Jump Cue

I like the way they play (most of the time) lol

hondo
03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
One pocket: Jeff Olney, Dave Kikel, Tim Scruggs,
Ray Schuler, Dale Perry, Shurtz. Also, Paul Mottey
&amp; Mcdermott Sierra.
8 ball: Coker, Russ Espiritu, Joss, J. Pechauer,
Auerbach. Also, sneaky petes by Pat Diviney, Tim Scruggs,
Keith Josey, &amp; Leonard Bludworth.

dg-in-centralpa
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I use a mid range Predator from 1999 as my break cue, and a Richard Black "Bushka" as my regular cue.

DG - also have a Schon SL-15 as a spare and an old Meucci for kindling wood /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigRigTom
03-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I like to answer this question ever so often just so I can reminisce.
My 1st cue was a Valley Sneaky Pete at 18 oz. I paid $60 for it in 1990 and still have it, I still pull it down and play with it a little just so I can remember how it feels.
Then about 1996 I got the Meucci Sneaky Pete which was then called the A1 but now is the 9700. It had the red dot shaft and it played good but I just NEVER got use to that flexible shaft. Still don't care for the twang it makes when you crank up on a long draw or load of english.
I currently have a Viking VX10 19.5 oz. and I use a Scorpion Break Jump 20 oz. with a phenolic tip.
Love both of these cues.
Have NO intention of changing in the near future! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cjt08046
03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I play with a Viking F87 that I bought last fall. I tried several cues in my price range ($200 or less) from Viking and McDermott at two different dealers/halls and this one just felt the best to me. It has a nice soft, yet positive hit and the ball goes where I want it to go as long as my stroke is true. Whether it hits the right contact point is a story for another post /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ras314
03-13-2007, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>... and an old Meucci for kindling wood /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Might come in really handy when stuck in a blizzard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey, I only owned one Meucci and it was, um, not to my liking. I still like and use the sneaky pete version of the Predator though.

billiardshot
03-17-2007, 06:28 AM
For the following I use a Magik Wandzzzzzzzz [Dieckman]4 different cues
Pool
Carom
Masse
Break / carom

MrLucky
03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Most of my playing is with a McDermott "knight" 18.5 oz Cue with a McDermott I-2 Shaft and Moori med tip ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

whipy
03-18-2007, 05:52 AM
I play with a wrapless Joe Callaluca (http://users.telenet.be/whipy/keu/Callaluca04.jpg). My break/jump cue is a Fury (http://www.platinumbilliards.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_96_184&amp;products_id=10019 90) .

davenelson
03-18-2007, 10:03 AM
I have a couple of Sailors that I have had for years. Lately I have been playing with a Ken Nelson which I got at a real good price. Ken Nelson? you say, who is he? Well he is my youngest son who took up the art of cue making just a couple of years ago as a hobby. Plays real good and I couldn't beat the price.

Dave Nelson

irunrax
03-18-2007, 12:11 PM
For the past 9 months i have been using a jacoby limited model-12 #4of6. I just ordered a 314 shaft form jacoby to match the joint on the butt. Before that it was an old joss custom N-9 with a 314 shaft and before that a schuler cue SC-230 with a pro taper. J&amp;J jump break cue with a one piece pheonolic tip, which i have had for three years.

Stones
03-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Started out when I was 16 with a Palmer in 1966.

In 1978, had Billy Stroud build me a cue I played with until it was stolen in 1992.

Played with a Meucci sneaky pete for about a year that had been my break cue before the Joss was stolen.

Invested in a Schon in 1993 and played with it until a friend, Jack Kompan-Mystick Cues, gave me a sneaky pete and a break cue in 2004.

As soon as I hung the Schon up, my partner jumped on it and has used it until two weeks ago when he bought a Schon Ltd. for himself.

Going to send my old Schon into the factory now and have it refinished and then retire it. It's done it's duty.

Stones

Snapshot9
03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
I play with a Shurtz, original shaft, Hercules mh tip.
My break/jump cue is a J&amp;J, with 2 shafts, both 14mm.

Friday night, while playing on Shooters challenge table for $10 a game, one of my competitors called me a 'Jumpin Fool' ... LOL

BLACKHEART
03-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I play with Q#10 on my web site...JER

Bob_Jewett
03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BRussell:</font><hr> ... What do you play with? <hr /></blockquote>
Back to my Balabushka lately. I had forgotten how nicely it hits the ball. For those who know about such things, I found the origin of the "tink" and fixed it in about 1978.

mantis
03-19-2007, 08:04 PM
I play with a curly maple Dominiak cue that I like quite a bit. Custom cue for $100. Hard to beat it.

TennesseeJoe
03-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Predator Sneaky Pete

DickLeonard
03-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Bob Jewett are you going to keep the cure of the tink a secret or are you going to share it with us. Fran and I would love to know what was the villian.####

DeadCrab
03-20-2007, 08:04 AM
A Player's sneaky Pete. It is a good beginner's stick for under $100.

Bob_Jewett
03-20-2007, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Bob Jewett are you going to keep the cure of the tink a secret or are you going to share it with us. Fran and I would love to know what was the villian.#### <hr /></blockquote>
I can't say what it was on other cues, but on my cue it was the machine screw that holds on the bumper. It was a little loose and the washer would slap against it. Of course this made no difference in how the cue played, but for me, each shot was like an ice pick into the ear. It took me months to figure it out. I tightened it about 30 years ago, and it hasn't gotten loose again since.

Deeman3
03-20-2007, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> One pocket: Jeff Olney, Dave Kikel, Tim Scruggs,
&amp; Mcdermott Sierra.
Keith Josey, &amp; Leonard Bludworth. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Hondo,

It's great to see you must be as big an equipmewnt whore as Fred!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeeMan=Schon </font color>

Paul_Mon
03-20-2007, 12:45 PM
I've been using 314 shafts since about 1996. In 2001 I sent a new 314 shaft to JER at Blackheart and he fitted it perfectly onto a wrapless butt. I still get many compliments on the highly figured curly maple grip with 3 high and 3 low tulipwood points surrounded by ebony.

Paul Mon

hondo
03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> One pocket: Jeff Olney, Dave Kikel, Tim Scruggs,
&amp; Mcdermott Sierra.
Keith Josey, &amp; Leonard Bludworth. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Hondo,

It's great to see you must be as big an equipmewnt whore as Fred!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeeMan=Schon </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Alas! tis true! tis true!

BRussell
03-20-2007, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whipy:</font><hr> I play with a wrapless Joe Callaluca (http://users.telenet.be/whipy/keu/Callaluca04.jpg). My break/jump cue is a Fury (http://www.platinumbilliards.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_96_184&amp;products_id=10019 90) . <hr /></blockquote> How do you like that Fury? I've been considering getting a breaking cue, and that's one I've looked at.

canadan
03-21-2007, 09:02 AM
play with a s.pete 314'2 17.oz and break with a modded Aska 19.oz and sometimes a 18.oz cue tec if the Aska not getting any friends. But the Aska breaks with great speed less ac. cue tec less speed more ac.

IA8baller
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
McDermott Double Diamond M72B

glau
03-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I have enough cues to fill a golf club bag. I can't seem to use just one continuously. Some say you need to get used to one cue and always play with that ONE. I think of cues like women. Sometimes you want a brunette; sometimes you want a blonde...

I have a Balabushka by Adam Cues (this is 2nd generation non-original Balabushka produced after he died) which I like; it plays similar to my Joss. I had a post early 1990s Meucci that I did not like and sold. Now I play with a pre 1985 Meucci and a post 1985 Meucci--both of which play ok but have a whippy shaft. I also use a wood to wood joint McDermott and a steel joint McDermott--these both play very solid. I would list my preference as follows:

Favorite: Richard Chudy custom cue
Then ranked:
1. Joss (the cues used in movie Color of Money)
2. Adam Cue Balabushka (won a lot of beers with this one)
3. McDermott steel joint
4. McDermott wood joint
5. Meucci Original pre 1985
6. Schmelke sneaky pete
7. Meucci post 1985

Hell, if you like sneaky petes, a straight house cue with a good tip should suffice.