PDA

View Full Version : Code of conduct for bar league?

joepool
03-13-2007, 07:32 PM
i have been asked about putting something together on this. the plan being considered is to have players agree to a "code of conduct" to play in the league, e.g., non-violence, good sportsmanship-honesty, non-discrimination, etc.
I know as a BCA Instructor, I have an "Instructor Code of Conduct", and, personally, think it's a good idea to have one. I don't know if a code of conduct could be created that would be simple and concise enough to be worthwhile.
Perhaps, there is one already created and in use somewhere???
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

killerstroke
03-13-2007, 11:39 PM
I think the problem is it already puts things into a negative. It is like already knowing something will occur because of the type of people in the league. Question being: After a few drinks and the heat of the battle, would it really make a difference? I would think not. To much to say an I hate to type.

joepool
03-13-2007, 11:56 PM
thanks for the insight; it is helpful. I agree. My opinion is that the league has all this already covered in their bylaws and procedures. There has just recently been some incidents that have "the townspeople with torches, tar, and feathers at the gates", and the league Board is seeking an action they can take to demonstrate they are "doing something" about the problems.
To me, it's kind of like trying to "legislate morality", which I don't think works either.
Oh well, I think I will suggest they "weather the storm" and let it die down....

Ralph S.
03-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Personally Tom, I don't think a "code of conduct" would work. You are basically dealing with a "bar type" of people, and anything can and will happen in a bar. Alcohol can change a persons demeanor greatly. I have seen it way too often. This is coming from a league player that plays in bars and still works part-time as a bouncer. I just think it would be a losing battle in the long run.

trob
03-14-2007, 03:55 AM
The majority of good players are cocky assholes..that only gets worse when you add beer. Around here it's gotten alot better. When I was playing a league 10 years ago It was almost a guarantee that there would be a fight dureing a match. We now have rules set that only the captains deal with any differences of opinion. They call the league president if they can't come to an agreement. We don't even use the pad by the pocket when calling the 8 ball anymore. Honestly I don't think we had a single fight happen this year.

SpiderMan
03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
A place where I played weekly tournaments used to have an interesting rule, on a sign above the bar. Anyone who became involved in a fight would be immediately bounced, and couldn't come back in the bar until they paid a $200 fine.

Don't know if they still have that rule, but it was at the "Neon Cowboy" in southeast Dallas.

SpiderMan

BRussell
03-14-2007, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> "Neon Cowboy" in southeast Dallas. <hr /></blockquote> They don't allow fights at a place called the Neon Cowboy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cydpkt
03-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I think that the biggest problem right now is that no one is enforcing the rules we already have. Why add more rules or guidelines then not enforce them?

Sid_Vicious
03-14-2007, 09:26 AM
In 6 months, half the regulars would be broke! sid

SPetty
03-14-2007, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote joepool:</font><hr> My opinion is that the league has all this already covered in their bylaws and procedures. There has just recently been some incidents that have "the townspeople with torches, tar, and feathers at the gates", and the league Board is seeking an action they can take to demonstrate they are "doing something" about the problems.<hr /></blockquote>Perhaps instill a significant penalty for not following the bylaws and procedures. Warn the players that if they misbehave, they will be disqualified. The demonstration to the townspeople comes when you actually follow through with the penalty and get rid of the troublemakers.

Billy_Bob
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Below is a page which discusses "Pool Etiquette". That may help.

Personally I would like to see leagues give each new player a test to be sure they know the rules. They would need to pass the test before being allowed to play. Have them demonstrate a legal hit, demonstrate a double hit, etc.

Then have rules for sportsmanship. But you would need to have some method of verifying an infraction occurred. i.e. witnesses. Then maybe a warning system. 1st warning, 2nd warning, then 3rd time, bye bye!

I would not include foul language as a violation. I have seen the most saintly "angels" cuss up a storm when they get on a pool table! Might not have anyone left to play if this was a rule!

I would concentrate on sore losers, childish temper tantrums, loud arguments, fighting, etc. Have some other method of resolving conflicts.

Pool Etiquette
http://www.onthebreaknews.com/FullSplice1.htm

wolfdancer
03-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Since we can no longer go to watch the Gladiators fight, or the Christians Vs the Lions....pool is our modern ritualized "combat"...a chance to work out our aggressions in a somewhat controlled environment...in this way, the divorce rate is kept down, dogs and children are saved from beatings for minor infractions, people don't go down to Wendy's with their AK47's to supersize their egos.
If your league players object to these occasional flare-ups...many Church groups have a pool table for recreation...perhaps they could join a Church league?....or switch to another sport....like Lawn Bowling with it's all white dress code....and nobody wants to get blood on their white outfit.
Take away the swearing, and vague threats,and it's pool, but without passion....might as well go bowling.....