PDA

View Full Version : Why don't Karen Corr & Kelly Fisher have sponsors?

jjinfla
03-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Here we have the number 2 & 3 women in the WPBA and they do not have sponsors. At least none are listed on the WPBA web site for them. Both women play extremely well. Have been on TV numerous times. And still no one will sponsor them.

So what is the reason for this?

Is it that sponsors do not think they will get a worthwhile return for their investment in the player? Or could it be that the company does not want to be associated with pool players.

How come Coca-Cola or Pepsi are not interested in pool players? I wonder if the women even bothered to send their resume to them.

Players have to think in terms of what the player can do for the company not what the company can do for the player.

Oh well, just another indicator that pool is dying, if not already dead. Sure, the players will keep playing for the small prizes but they are playing to empty seats.

It seems to me that the majority of people who go to watch tournaments, and not play in them, are the ones who want to gamble on the calcutta or gamble on matches.

Jake

wannabeplayer
03-14-2007, 08:07 AM
IMHO....the last time i talked to a pro player (johnny archer) he didnt say anything about his sponsers. When i watch Tiger or Phil they always talk about the equpment that they are using. If im a sponser and i am paying $100G a year i think i would want some face time for it. When Tiger says his Nike driver was awesome....people respond by buying it. With the lack of :real" TV time billiards get, what residual are they going to get from it. And fron the little time (ESPN) they do get, what do they say about his/her sponsers equipment? Plus put the fact that what face time they do get, dont you want a face that looks "nice". Karen Corr may be a great player but is she a looker that you remember, Jenifer, Eva, Loree Jon and Jenette. Jennifer Bareetta doesnt win much but she has sponsers. And besides with the little media time billiards gets, the sponsers are just "preaching to the flock" because it is mostly pool players that are watching not mainstream. Look at Earl the squirrel. What did he do for Cutec? I bet Allison did more for Cutec. Thats IMHO.

BRussell
03-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Sponsorship, in all sports, seems only moderately correlated with performance and ranking. It seems to have a lot to do with looks and personality and other such issues. I don't know anything about the two individuals you mention, but I'd imagine that if they're not seen as charismatic as Jeanette Lee (or, who's that one pool chick who was in Playboy?), they might not attract the sponsors in the same way.

Cydpkt
03-14-2007, 08:56 AM
We need another Bud Light (or similar)commercial with a female shooter. (Jeanette comes to mind)Could it be that Karen or Kelly just don't want to associate their name with something they don't want to use? I don't know either one of them some am just speculating.

wannabeplayer
03-14-2007, 09:25 AM
I would bet that if Bud Light said "we will give you x amount of $" they would be in. After all they are pool players too and they need the money like the rest of us.

HarryDC
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wannabeplayer:</font><hr> IMHO....the last time i talked to a pro player (johnny archer) he didnt say anything about his sponsers. When i watch Tiger or Phil they always talk about the equpment that they are using. If im a sponser and i am paying $100G a year i think i would want some face time for it. When Tiger says his Nike driver was awesome....people respond by buying it. With the lack of :real" TV time billiards get, what residual are they going to get from it. And fron the little time (ESPN) they do get, what do they say about his/her sponsers equipment? Plus put the fact that what face time they do get, dont you want a face that looks "nice". Karen Corr may be a great player but is she a looker that you remember, Jenifer, Eva, Loree Jon and Jenette. Jennifer Bareetta doesnt win much but she has sponsers. And besides with the little media time billiards gets, the sponsers are just "preaching to the flock" because it is mostly pool players that are watching not mainstream. Look at Earl the squirrel. What did he do for Cutec? I bet Allison did more for Cutec. Thats IMHO. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Jake,

Victoria Secret sponsors 24! Do think that means Kiefer Sutherland is more sexy than Kelly Fisher? Yes! The mainstream American male and female are watching Kiefer not
Kelly Fisher. Now I could see Viva La Diva in Soho London England sponsoring Maria Catalino in her appearances for pool in the U.S.

The truth is and always will be no one pays any attention to pool except pool players. Ask KT? Just look at the low prize funds paid out on the "chump tours". Joss, Viking, Tiger, Blaze for example:

Blaze Tour Stop
March 11th 2007
Castle Billiards
East Rutherford, NJ

Place Player Name Prize Money
1st place Evgenij Stalev $1,060.00
2nd place Antonio Gabica $750.00
3rd place Warren Kiamco $450.00
4th place Scott Freeman $200.00
5th place Eddie Hodan $125.00
5th place Carmen Lombardo $125.00
7th place Eddie Abraham $80.00
7th place Wali Muhammad $80.00
9th place Gary Barnish $50.00
9th place Matt Krah $50.00
9th place Matt Douglas $50.00
9th place Tony Rodriguez $50.00

In everyone of these "chump tours" there are at least 5 to 10 pro players trying to steal the money from the local players because of the so called open tournament. Pool is dead.

The only real reason why someone like Victoria Secret doesn't sponsor the beautiful WPBA ladies is because no one
watches them either. Sad to say, but true!

HarryDC

wannabeplayer
03-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Harry: i agree but if you want to Karen Corr, Helena, Jean etc in a victorias secret outfit......you are a man that is more desperate than I.

jjinfla
03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Actually, they could, and should, do all they can to enhance their image.

Jake

cueball1950
03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Harry.... May i ask you why you call the small tours, especially the Joss Tour, Chump tours... if you can do a better job of promoting a larger tour. then go ahead and do it. I am sure that all the players would appreciate it. What Great big tour do you play on and support. If these are chump tours then why don't you start your own tour. Atleast these people took the iniative and did somethinmg to promote the sport....mike

DickLeonard
03-15-2007, 06:08 AM
jinfla to get Pepsi-CocaCola to sponsor poolplayers it would take all the poolrooms nation wide to boycott their products. Then you might wake them up.

It might take the players getting agents but they are only interested in the Tiger Woods of the world.####

jjinfla
03-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Hey Mike, Harry is right about calling the tours chump tours, because of all the chumps who go there and enter and get their brains kicked in by a pro.

They really are chumps for thinking they can beat a pro. Give me a break.

And when Harry was promoting the women and some men what thanks did he get. he sponsored some and some of them stiffed him for loans they got from him.

What thanks did he get from the pool community? He was ridiculed and called a stalker.

Where was the pool community when he got banned from AZB?

No wonder Harry is no longer a fan of pool.

Neither am I.

Jake

Deeman3
03-15-2007, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> No wonder Harry is no longer a fan of pool.

Neither am I.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I think we all want pool to have the respect and rewards it's complexity and skill deserves. However, it is just not there. We live in a world where attention is short, people give reverence to people who commit suicide by drug abuse and get out of cars without their underwear.

I would not call any tour a "Chump" tour as I don't have that right having never organized a major event. I do appreciate those who keep trying and we all owe them much.

I know the ones of us who gamble on a regular basis are blamed for this bad image pool is supposed to have. I think it is more a case of we don't have a product we know how to sell and when someone with any business accumen comes along, they mostly turn out to be foolish, unaware of the difficulties of the finances involved or are victims of players who's behaviour no one wants to "Sponsor".

I have been in a position at least twice, to make a large connection of pool to the largest company in the world and was embarrassed enough by a couple of players that I had to apologise to the people I had brought to "sell" our sport to.

On one occasion, a player who claims to be a prime mover in the new world of pool blew me off in an elevator when I was arranging for him to make $12,000 for a one day visit to a corporate headquarters. Of course, that 12 grand was a pittance to what he and others might have realized over time, if he had performed, acted with professionalism. The people I was connecting them and later him with, control ad budgets of hundreds of millions worldwide. They do not have to be put off or ridiculed, they just go on to a sport who recognizes it's pro players image makes and breaks their decisions.

You can sell Johnny Archer, Ralph, Rodney and many others. You can't sell 12 professional men and 6 clowns. </font color>

DeeMan
sorry for the rant.....

Rich R.
03-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Jake, Kelly Fisher, and some other partners, have created a new company. She will be marketing a line of cues and clothing under the name "Kwikfire" (sp).
http://www.insidepoolmag.com/billiards-industry-news/information/kwikfire-announces-introduction-of-billiards-pro-14.html

HarryDC
03-16-2007, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> No wonder Harry is no longer a fan of pool.

Neither am I.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I think we all want pool to have the respect and rewards it's complexity and skill deserves. However, it is just not there. We live in a world where attention is short, people give reverence to people who commit suicide by drug abuse and get out of cars without their underwear.

I would not call any tour a "Chump" tour as I don't have that right having never organized a major event. I do appreciate those who keep trying and we all owe them much.

I know the ones of us who gamble on a regular basis are blamed for this bad image pool is supposed to have. I think it is more a case of we don't have a product we know how to sell and when someone with any business accumen comes along, they mostly turn out to be foolish, unaware of the difficulties of the finances involved or are victims of players who's behaviour no one wants to "Sponsor".

I have been in a position at least twice, to make a large connection of pool to the largest company in the world and was embarrassed enough by a couple of players that I had to apologise to the people I had brought to "sell" our sport to.

On one occasion, a player who claims to be a prime mover in the new world of pool blew me off in an elevator when I was arranging for him to make $12,000 for a one day visit to a corporate headquarters. Of course, that 12 grand was a pittance to what he and others might have realized over time, if he had performed, acted with professionalism. The people I was connecting them and later him with, control ad budgets of hundreds of millions worldwide. They do not have to be put off or ridiculed, they just go on to a sport who recognizes it's pro players image makes and breaks their decisions.

You can sell Johnny Archer, Ralph, Rodney and many others. You can't sell 12 professional men and 6 clowns. </font color>

DeeMan
sorry for the rant..... <hr /></blockquote>

DeeMan,

No need for an apology! Been there, done that, won't do it anymore! "Chump Tour's" is a perfect name for them. I am not interested in how hard they are to develop.

They are only developed so the sponsor can advertise his product, the promotor can skim 40% to 50% off the top and the room owner picks up some business if he has any paying customers watching pool. They are like a slot machine that never pays off for the average player.

I saw one promoter is offering free ribs if you attend the tournament but no mention of an admission fee. The line for free ribs will be longer than the line for free pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryDC

HarryDC
03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Jake, Kelly Fisher, and some other partners, have created a new company. She will be marketing a line of cues and clothing under the name "Kwikfire" (sp).
http://www.insidepoolmag.com/billiards-industry-news/information/kwikfire-announces-introduction-of-billiards-pro-14.html <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.

The press release is old news. Where is she going to sell them at Big and Tall Direct, once or twice a year at a billiard expo, open her own store? "Kwikfire"? That's the the way the money will go.

She will be no competition for a World Wide Company like Puma Sport who supply Sarah Ellerby with her outfits. Hey,
I just bought a pair of Puma Sport Shoes to support my player "Velvet". Going to buy some sweats for fishing too.

Press release read like an ad for a business partnership, not a sponsor. Well, lots of luck to her.

HarryDC