PDA

View Full Version : Greatest telvised match ever

bigalerickson
07-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Clearly, the best match I've seen yet on television. I think Mike Sigel did a great job, even my parents hung around and watched it after dinner! Finally, a television showing to be proud of. Even the commercials and the sponsors were improved.

Its good to be back. I've missed the forum.

07-22-2002, 08:00 PM
BIG AL!!!!! Welcome home buddy! Missed ya here. Where ya been?

bigalerickson
07-22-2002, 08:04 PM
As i mentioned in a later post I was in the UK. I was there working in and around homeless missions in Edinburgh mainly, but also spent some travel time all around Scotland, as well England.

Oh, the stories I could tell.

Lester
07-23-2002, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigalerickson:</font><hr> Clearly, the best match I've seen yet on television. I think Mike Sigel did a great job, even my parents hung around and watched it after dinner! Finally, a television showing to be proud of. Even the commercials and the sponsors were improved.

<hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I agree with you Big Al. The play wasn't perfect, and the combatants were friends. And Mike Segal explained the situation about roomies playing each other in the finals perfectly. His commentary was informative, and insiteful even with the "speeded up" play. When it ended, I wished I had taped it. ****Lester****

Fred Agnir
07-23-2002, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> I agree with you Big Al. The play wasn't perfect, and the combatants were friends. <hr></blockquote>

??? Charlie Williams broke and ran all but one rack. Tony Robles broke and ran all but two racks. Charlie missed one shot, length of the table jacked up. Robles missed two shots. I'm guessing Charlies TPA was in the 950+ range. That's pretty damned close to perfect.

Fred

Lester
07-23-2002, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Lester:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I agree with you Big Al. The play wasn't perfect, and the combatants were friends. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

??? Charlie Williams broke and ran all but one rack. Tony Robles broke and ran all but two racks. Charlie missed one shot, length of the table jacked up. Robles missed two shots. I'm guessing Charlies TPA was in the 950+ range. That's pretty damned close to perfect.

Fred <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;You're right Fred, but had it been perfect - it wouldn't have been as fun to watch. JMHO ****Lester****

cuechick
07-23-2002, 08:56 AM
I missed it last night; but I was there so can't really complain. I am sure it will be repeated. I wanted to suggest that all of you who enjoyed it so much send emails to ESPN and let THEM know. I still think it is amazing that the biggest event in the world is not covered by them (even though they had the oppurtunity to show it)!!
Make it count! Also now Fox has a competteive channel to ESPN so maybe emailing them, asking them to pick up Match rooms coverage of the World Championships!
www.espn.com (http://www.espn.com)

Eric.
07-23-2002, 09:25 AM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: bigalerickson:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Clearly, the best match I've seen yet on television. I think Mike Sigel did a great job, even my parents hung around and watched it after dinner! Finally, a television showing to be proud of. Even the commercials and the sponsors were improved.

&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

What's up with M Sigel?! It irked the sh!t outta me when he would comment on a ball, then explain the color of it i.e. "Tony is trying to hit the three ball, that's the red ball." Well no sh!t, Mike. I know we don't play at your level, but c'mon!

Eric &gt;I feel better now, deep breaths

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2002, 09:30 AM
[quote=EricWhat's up with M Sigel?! It irked the sh!t outta me when he would comment on a ball, then explain the color of it i.e. "Tony is trying to hit the three ball, that's the red ball." Well no sh!t, Mike. I know we don't play at your level, but for c'mon!

Eric &gt;I feel better now, deep breaths <hr></blockquote>

He does that on his insructional tapes too. Must be just in case there's a novice watching.

9 Ball Girl
07-23-2002, 10:02 AM
ESPN
Sat., August 10, 2002 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Women's Finals

ESPN2
Mon., Aug 5, 2002 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Women's Semi-Finals
Tue., Aug 13, 2002 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Men's Semi-Finals
Mon., Aug 19, 2002 11:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Women's Finals

Fred Agnir
07-23-2002, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric.:</font><hr>
What's up with M Sigel?! It irked the sh!t outta me when he would comment on a ball, then explain the color of it i.e. "Tony is trying to hit the three ball, that's the red ball." Well no sh!t, Mike. I know we don't play at your level, but c'mon! <hr></blockquote>
We can assume (and hope) that the television audience isn't restricted to seasoned pool players.

What does irk me about Mike is that every shot is "one of the greatest shots I've ever seen."

Fred

nAz
07-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Hey Eric i think he was mentioning the colors of the ball because they dont show so well on TV sets, atleast not on mine
sometimes i wondering which is the 3 and which is 7...

Eric.
07-23-2002, 11:11 AM
Hey Fred &amp; Wally,

I hear what you guys are saying but if you can't figure out which ball is what, it's safe to say that all the other strategy commentary is also wasted? I know everyone isn't a seasoned player and if you are a non-player that just wants to watch, I sure just watching the balls go into pockets are enough entertainment. Could you imagine watching football and having the color guy tell you over and over which color jersey was which team( the Giants, with the blue and white jerseys are kicking off to the Raiders, with the black and silver jerseys...)!

Eric &gt;just shoot me now

Lester
07-23-2002, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> Hey Eric i think he was mentioning the colors of the ball because they dont show so well on TV sets, atleast not on mine
sometimes i wondering which is the 3 and which is 7... <hr></blockquote>
That's what I was thinking too Naz. Not to mention the 2 and the 4 balls. And the eight ball doesn't show up well from a distance. But hey, they're not as bad as when they used the "Beautiful Elephant Balls". You couldn't tell any of them apart on TV. ****Lester****

Eric.
07-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Naz,

You need to buy a better T.V.!

Eric &gt;hope's Naz doesn't take it seriously

Eric.
07-23-2002, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> ESPN
Sat., August 10, 2002 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Women's Finals

ESPN2
Mon., Aug 5, 2002 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Women's Semi-Finals
Tue., Aug 13, 2002 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Men's Semi-Finals
Mon., Aug 19, 2002 11:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Women's Finals
<hr></blockquote>

Hey Wendy,

Don't forget, a replay of Tony and CHarlie on ESPN 7/27 4PM to 5PM. I think I'll tape it.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
07-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Yup. I've seen matches on Naz's TV. Balls don't look too clear sometimes. Especially if they use those elephant beautiful balls.

Wendy~~thinks all balls are beautiful--close up!

9 Ball Girl
07-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah. Thanks!

Rod
07-23-2002, 12:22 PM
nAz, that's my guess, they don't show up well on any TV I've watched except when they get closer to the balls.
Maybe it's my eyes? Na could'nt be I can see cars comming!

nAz
07-23-2002, 12:30 PM
well Eric maybe i should save up 6 grand for a liquid plasma
TV with a built in Flux capacitor. no wait with that $$ i can get Goldcrown 4 table and bar set hmmm lol

DEADSTOKE32
07-24-2002, 09:08 AM
MAN I HAD NO CLUE WHAT COLOR THE BALLS WERE .I HAVE A BLACK N WHITE TV...I JUST KNOW CHARILE WON .AND TONY WAS VERY VERY RESPECTFUL TO EVERYBODY..YOU GOT 2 LOVE HIM....

07-24-2002, 12:26 PM

Eric.
07-24-2002, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> It is very hard to see the balls at all, so I personally appreciated him pointing out that it was the red ball. I loved the announcing also. You almost sound like a movie critic - and I don't pay any attention to them anyhow. <hr></blockquote>

W.wolf,

I don't think you caught the gist of my post. I felt it was redundant to say "He's shooting the 3 ball, that's the red ball".

Eric &gt;isn't EVERYONE a movie critic

07-24-2002, 12:56 PM

Eric.
07-24-2002, 01:02 PM
No flag, no penalty. Looks like I also misunderstood your post.

Eric

07-24-2002, 01:03 PM
While it may seem redundant to you to say "the 3-ball, the red one", YOU play pool. I'm fairly certain the broadcast is meant to catch the interest of the general public, not just those who play pool.

Thus, I would imagine the program will be viewed by those who may not know that the 3-ball is red, and for them I'm sure it's helpful.

Is it really that stressful for you to hear it?

07-24-2002, 01:14 PM
I have to say that I feel sorry for all the non-pool-playing folks out there who won't get a chance to learn anything about the game (and perhaps decide to take it up) all because you cannot seem to find the mute button on your remote.

I'll tell you that a number of my non-playing friends in fact don't derive a great deal of enjoyment "just from watching the balls go in the pockets"....it's boring to them because they cannot appreciate how difficult a shot is to execute or why a safety was played. As far as they know, all the balls appear to go in the holes, so how much finesse could this actually take? The commentary, with ALL it's information, is a way for them to find out.

Is this really all you have to worry about? It's this kind of attitude from those who play that discourages others from wanting to find out more about pool or perhaps play.

9 Ball Girl
07-24-2002, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: aldewey:</font><hr>It's this kind of attitude from those who play that discourages others from wanting to find out more about pool or perhaps play. <hr></blockquote>

Geez, I don't think Eric intended to discourage anyone from playing. If someone's going to play, then they're going to play. I think Eric was just stating his opinion on redundancy. JMHO

Good Humour is more than Ice Cream /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif
-Eric

SPetty
07-24-2002, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: aldewey:</font><hr> While it may seem redundant to you to say "the 3-ball, the red one", YOU play pool. <hr></blockquote>I play pool, and I still have not memorized the colors with the numbers. Apparently, my brain doesn't think it's necessary because the numbers ARE RIGHT THERE on the balls!

I'll call "the orange stripe one" rather than the "the 14". They know what I mean.

SPetty~~~yes, it was a joke that I said 14, I know it's the 12.

hahaha~~~yes, that was a joke too...

07-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Begging your pardon, Mr. Petty, but in most televised matches, the shots (even close-ups) are not tight enough to afford an opportunity for non-players to read the numbers on the balls.

Again, hurrah for you that you don't need further help, but have a little indulgence for those who might. Don't sweat the small stuff.....again, your remote *does* have a mute button, right?

07-26-2002, 10:30 AM
I did understand the point of his post....I realize it was a comment on redundancy. Some phrases (i.e. a wet rain) are truly redundant in any sense of the word.

What I said it that such information is not redundant to a NON-player. If I told one of my friends, "Max is going to shoot the 3-ball", the next question would likely be "which one is the 3-ball." Where they don't know, it isn't redundant.

I didn't suggest, by the way, that it was Eric's *intention* to discourage beginners. I said that his scorn for giving additional information relating to the ball color may cause some beginners to feel slighted for their lack of knowledge. Such a thing can be demotivating to beginners who are trying to learn.

SPetty
07-26-2002, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: aldewey:</font><hr> Begging your pardon, Mr. Petty, but in most televised matches, the shots (even close-ups) are not tight enough to afford an opportunity for non-players to read the numbers on the balls.

Again, hurrah for you that you don't need further help, but have a little indulgence for those who might. Don't sweat the small stuff.....again, your remote *does* have a mute button, right? <hr></blockquote>Um, aldewey, I think I was coming down on your side on this one... I think it's great that they call out the number and the color. I think that's what this thread's about, right?

08-01-2002, 12:35 PM
Yes, the thread is about the commentator noting the number and color of the balls.

My deepest apologies; I misread your post and thought you were agreeing with Eric's comment that it was redundant (and in fact irritating) to have the announcer give both pieces of information. I firmly believe that more information for those aren't already pool-addicated will help generate an interest and swell the ranks of those of us who are. Then everyone wins because there are more folks to play!