PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel Open

jjinfla
03-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I see that Jose Del Rio - Wade Crane - Dennis Hatch - Rich Broumpton all went 2 zip and are out of the tournament.

As good as they play and they can't win any money. They just wasted $500 and a few days of their lives with nothing to show for it.

That is why there is no hope for pool.

And it seems that Earl and the UPA are still not seeing eye to eye as he didn't bother to show up. That says a lot when $20,000 added is not enough to attract Earl.

Another reason why pool is dead - promoters and players let their egos get in the way of what is good for pool.

Jake

Dagwood
03-17-2007, 10:19 AM
We all know how you feel about the current state of pool right now Jake. But the last thing that any of us want to read is how you think that Pool is never going to go anywhere. keep your opinions to yourself if you can't say anything positive...

For those of us who still think that something can be salvaged and done to improve the state of pool, your naysaying gets real old real quick. If you're trying to convince us, you aren't going to do anything but piss us off.

Dags

jjinfla
03-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Gee Dagwood I guess you are right so I will put my head in the sand and hide like all the rest of you guys and just ignore the facts.

It seems I just can't win. I was oh so positive on Earl and all the pros and the IPT and I got bashed for that. I never heard you complain about the IPT naysayers.

So now I tell it like it really is and I get bashed for that and called a naysayer.

I guess there just is no pleasing some people.

So be sure to let us all know all the positive stuff ahead for pool players.

Have a good day.

Jake

Morris183
03-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear Rich Broumpton lost. Met him last week at Grovers in West Palm. Very nice guy, and a pleasure to have taken my very first lesson from him. Looking to follow up next week. BTW, Grovers is quite a place. Moe

HarryDC
03-17-2007, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> Sorry to hear Rich Broumpton lost. Met him last week at Grovers in West Palm. Very nice guy, and a pleasure to have taken my very first lesson from him. Looking to follow up next week. BTW, Grovers is quite a place. Moe <hr /></blockquote>

Hello Moe,

Welcome!

Matt Krah Vs. Richard Broumpton 10-4
Kim Davenport Vs. Richard Broumpton no score posted but Kim advanced on the one loss side.

Just one of the reasons pool is dead, it lives in ignorance.
Click on AZB Brackets and you will notice most of the scores are missing.

Who in their right mind would sponsor pool when they see no score posted for one of the few big men's tournaments left in the United States.

Grovers is a very nice place and Richard and Tony Crosby are very nice people.

HarryDC

Morris183
03-18-2007, 02:00 PM
The present owner of Grover's is Steve Rubin. By the way the web site is www.groverspoolhall.com. (http://www.groverspoolhall.com.) Went back this past Saturday afternoon after golf and played at the no 1 table. The gal who was taking care of the place was telling me about all the greats that had played at this table. Seemed to work because it raised my level from rank beginner to beginner. Moe

trob
03-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I saw the kim davenport match..the reason it wasn't posted is probobly because they had to guess what the score is. lol They got into a pretty heated argument over the score because somebody forgot to mark there wins.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> Sorry to hear Rich Broumpton lost. Met him last week at Grovers in West Palm. Very nice guy, and a pleasure to have taken my very first lesson from him. Looking to follow up next week. BTW, Grovers is quite a place. Moe <hr /></blockquote>

Hello Moe,

Welcome!

Matt Krah Vs. Richard Broumpton 10-4
Kim Davenport Vs. Richard Broumpton no score posted but Kim advanced on the one loss side.

Just one of the reasons pool is dead, it lives in ignorance.
Click on AZB Brackets and you will notice most of the scores are missing.

Who in their right mind would sponsor pool when they see no score posted for one of the few big men's tournaments left in the United States.

Grovers is a very nice place and Richard and Tony Crosby are very nice people.

HarryDC
<hr /></blockquote>

rackem
03-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Just wondering what happened to the original owner Grover? Did they fix the place up. I never would have described it as nice. More like just a good action room.

Stones
03-19-2007, 03:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I see that Jose Del Rio - Wade Crane - Dennis Hatch - Rich Broumpton all went 2 zip and are out of the tournament.

As good as they play and they can't win any money. They just wasted $500 and a few days of their lives with nothing to show for it.

That is why there is no hope for pool.

And it seems that Earl and the UPA are still not seeing eye to eye as he didn't bother to show up. That says a lot when $20,000 added is not enough to attract Earl.

Another reason why pool is dead - promoters and players let their egos get in the way of what is good for pool.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

As a newbie on this forum, am I missing something here because a few players didn't hit the money and now, pool is dead?????

Actually, Jake, the average race to 10 tournament match takes about an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours to complete, so they didn't waste a few days but about 4 hours. LOL

As far as Earl goes, I'd think the best thing for him is a much needed vacation to get his head screwed back on straight after his recent performances and the Cuetec fiasco.

As for complaining about the promoter's egos............where do you think that $20K add on came from? Out of thin air?

Someone had to work long and hard to get that kind of money together along with organizing the venue, tables, etc.

Unless you've personally tried to organize and run an event like this, which I seriously doubt, running around with the Chicken Little attitude of "The sky is falling, the sky is falling.". does no one or the sport any good.

A $12K paycheck for Corey seemed pretty healthy to me.

Stones

jjinfla
03-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Hopkins always runs a great tournament and has done a lot for pool during his lifetime. For that alone he should be in the Hall of Fame.

I love to watch Earl and Charlie when they have to face each other in a tournament. The two of them standing that close to each other when you know how much hate they have for each other. Sit close and listen to the comments they make to each other. It's a ball. That is more entertaining than the game. LOL

Total prize money for the tournament was $52,000 which was great. The men most likely will not see such a well paying tournament for the rest of the year. Yet, it still falls short of what the women pay their players by $48,000.

Pool can not be successful until a time comes when the pros get paid for showing up just like every other professional sport player. I just don't see that happening in my lifetime.

What happened to Tommy Kennedy and Keith McCready? Why didn't they show up?

Jake

eg8r
03-19-2007, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see that Jose Del Rio - Wade Crane - Dennis Hatch - Rich Broumpton all went 2 zip and are out of the tournament.

That is why there is no hope for pool. <hr /></blockquote> You and Harry must be whispering in each others ears. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Why should they get paid if they performed poorly? Also, why isn't the onus on the players? They knew what would happen if they played poorly and they still chanced it. Tough luck better luck next time.

What would have happened if they stayed home and gambled it all and lost? They would have went home empty also, but hey that is not to the detriment of pool. Why not? Going to these tournaments with the chance of leaving out of the money is the same thing as gambling. This time they lost, better luck next time.

I feel real bad Richard did not do well, I always enjoy chatting with him whenever I see him at a tourney.

eg8r

Morris183
03-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Played at Grover's this afternoon. The former owner, Grover's is alive and well, according to the present owner, Steve Rubin. He shows up usually Thursday evenings to play. The place looks a bit worn but gets some very big games according to Steve.I took another lesson with Richard Broumpton, what a nice uy. He had me hitting cb into one ob for an hour using colored dots to demonstrate where the cb ends up based on varying speed and high or draw shots.