PDA

View Full Version : 24 OF 64 PLAYERS GOT PAID. WHAT A BUST!

HarryDC
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey,

Here is the payout. Same old pool only 24 out of 64 players got paid according to this? What a bust for 40 players. Shame on pool! Same old pool going no where. I don't understand why they even bother to play? Good luck pool players you sure need it.

Gabriels Open Professional Players Championship
March 15 - 18, 2007
Valley Forge Convention Center
Valley Forge, PA

Gabriels Open Professional Players Championship payouts

01 Corey Deuel $12,000.00
02 Ronnie Wiseman $7,000.00
03 Rodney Morris $5,000.00
04 Johnny Archer $4,000.00
05 Ryan McCreesh $3,000.00
05 Fabio Petroni $3,000.00
07 Larry Nevel $2,000.00
07 Cliff Joyner $2,000.00
09 Charlie Bryant $1,500.00
09 Joey Korsiak $1,500.00
09 Evgeny Stalev $1,500.00
09 John Schmidt $1,500.00
13 Tony Robles $1,250.00
13 Shaun Wilkie $1,250.00
13 Frankie Hernandez $1,250.00
13 Tony Crosby $1,250.00
17 Stevie Moore $1,000.00
17 Jose Parica $1,000.00
17 Troy Frank $1,000.00
17 Francisco Tomati $1,000.00
17 Tang Hoa $1,000.00
17 Jeremy Jones $1,000.00
17 Kim Davenport $1,000.00
17 Danny Mullhollen $1,000.00

HarryDC

UWPoolGod
03-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I think the last 17-24 players are lucky they got anything at all. Most of the tourneys around here pay out 16 spots with a 64 person field. I understand that group is playing for a larger portion of money but a 37.5% of the field is a large amount of the field to pay to. to pay out more spots they would need to add more money. The pot can only get stretched so far, if it goes further first place for a premier tourney would be down to under $10K...but maybe that should be okay. Just my opinions.

Stones
03-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Sounds to me like someone got spoiled with the IPT payouts.

Well, at least when they were paying out at tourneys.

Most tourneys pay 25% of the field. 17-24th should be thrilled to get anything.

Stones

SpiderMan
03-19-2007, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> Hey,

Here is the payout. Same old pool only 24 out of 64 players got paid according to this? What a bust for 40 players. Shame on pool! Same old pool going no where. I don't understand why they even bother to play? Good luck pool players you sure need it.
<hr /></blockquote>

That's a deeper payout that I'm used to seeing. They gave a little more back to the lower places, good for them. Many of the guys that finish below the top 25% are used to playing "for the experience".

SpiderMan

Snapshot9
03-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Harry must be watching too many women tournaments where they get money back for going 2 and out. 37.5% is a GOOD payout of the field. I wish all my tournaments paid that .... no, I don't, I like bigger money on top .... LOL
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is the payout. Same old pool only 24 out of 64 players got paid according to this? What a bust for 40 players. Shame on pool! <hr /></blockquote> Why say, "Shame on pool"? Why should someone get paid for performing poorly and going 2 and out? Sounds like labor union mentality (btw that is not a good thing).

Congrats to Corey Deuel! Corey is my favorite player to watch at this point so it is great to see him win one.

eg8r

HarryDC
03-19-2007, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Harry must be watching too many women tournaments where they get money back for going 2 and out. 37.5% is a GOOD payout of the field. I wish all my tournaments paid that .... no, I don't, I like bigger money on top .... LOL
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Snapshot9,

I watch the PGA where the last place player makes close to a million dollars a year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The place for real men where you have rules, have to keep your tour card to be in the last place and they have real sponsors with real money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I try to interest myself in pool but they don't even post the scores. They must not know what the score is? Too bad!

HarryDC

Bob_Jewett
03-19-2007, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> ... Shame on pool! Same old pool going no where. I don't understand why they even bother to play? Good luck pool players you sure need it.
... <hr /></blockquote>
Gosh, Harry, I think you may be confused. For nearly all pool players, it's just an expensive hobby. A few can make a reasonable living at it.

Instead of whining about it, why don't you do something? Can you find a major sponsor? How about starting small with something you can do alone. 40 players went unpaid this year. Next year you could offer to pay the bottom 40 $250 each. That would at least take care of their hotel rooms if they double up. I think most of them would find it a big help.

Let us know what you decide and how the search for sponsors is going. Or, you could just continue to whine.

don_southwick
03-19-2007, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Harry must be watching too many women tournaments where they get money back for going 2 and out. 37.5% is a GOOD payout of the field. I wish all my tournaments paid that .... no, I don't, I like bigger money on top .... LOL
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Snapshot9,

I watch the PGA where the last place player makes close to a million dollars a year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The place for real men where you have rules, have to keep your tour card to be in the last place and they have real sponsors with real money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I try to interest myself in pool but they don't even post the scores. They must not know what the score is? Too bad!

HarryDC

<hr /></blockquote>
I thought you had to make the cut to get paid at a PGA tournament, meaning be in the top 75 going into Thursday? Surely there must be some guys who have never been on TV that are making less than a million, not counting sponsorship deals, etc...

dg-in-centralpa
03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Everybody knows where the payout starts when they enter. It's no secret that the top 24 get paid and the rest don't. Look at the Open Amateur tournament there, unlimited entries and the top 64 get paid. Same thing. I had a friend in the amateur several years ago, he paid $75 entry and his match was over in less than 30 minutes. He knew going in that this could happen.

DG - never made it to the money rounds....yet

TerryArdeno
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> ... Shame on pool! Same old pool going no where. I don't understand why they even bother to play? Good luck pool players you sure need it.
... <hr /></blockquote>
Gosh, Harry, I think you may be confused. For nearly all pool players, it's just an expensive hobby. A few can make a reasonable living at it.

Instead of whining about it, why don't you do something? Can you find a major sponsor? How about starting small with something you can do alone. 40 players went unpaid this year. Next year you could offer to pay the bottom 40 $250 each. That would at least take care of their hotel rooms if they double up. I think most of them would find it a big help.

Let us know what you decide and how the search for sponsors is going. Or, you could just continue to whine. <hr /></blockquote>

TerryArdeno
03-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Let us know what you decide and how the search for sponsors is going. Or, you could just continue to whine. <hr /></blockquote>

Bob,
Great post by you!
Over the years, you have answered numerous questions and gave informative and insightful responses. You and several other seasoned veterans make this forum a place worth visiting. And, you're sometimes able to give answers when many of us can just shake our heads.
Thanks for your love for our great sport.
Terry
PS-I'm thankful there even IS a Super Billiard Expo where we can watch &amp; meet world class players.

HarryDC
03-19-2007, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> ... Shame on pool! Same old pool going no where. I don't understand why they even bother to play? Good luck pool players you sure need it.
... <hr /></blockquote>

Bob Jewett,

Ah! Sour Grapes Bob! Nothing better than a spirited debate. Or is pool a can of worms? Kevin tried but no one advised him of the fact that no one watches pool. No one even helped him when he needed some help. Come to think of it, not one of you in the so called pool community helped Barry when he had trouble either.

Are you speaking for yourself or for pool players? I notice a lot of you so called informed pool people use us and we to describe yourselves. Just keep one thing in mind you don’t speak for me. I have tried for more than five years to get sponsors outside the pool industry interested in pool.

There reason against it, no one watches it. They are absolutely right!

Pool has a rotten attitude, has no discipline and can’t accept constructive criticism. The reason why I will never do what you suggest is you wouldn’t do it yourself. There would be no return on your investment or mine. I am not in the habit of dealing with people who would steal your doorknobs are you?

Someone sent me this photo. What a laugh! Who the hell would sponsor pool with these crackpots associated with it?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/Gremlin711/FUTURE_OF_POOL_S.jpg

I wonder why no one watches pool or sponsors it? You so called pool leaders are going to have to clean up your own act.

I won’t help you as I have wasted five years of my time! I almost missed my T-time.

HarryDC

Bob_Jewett
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> ... The reason why I will never do what you suggest is you wouldn’t do it yourself. There would be no return on your investment or mine. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Really? Look up the Derby City Classic 14.1 competition (2006 and 2007), and let me know if you have anything to add to your comments. (I could also point out the three most recent Las Vegas WorldCup 3-C competitions, but the financials of those are not public record.) As I said, for most of us, pool is an expensive hobby.

dr_dave
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I think this is a great advertisement for:

"STAY IN SCHOOL" ... and don't just play pool!!!

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> Hey,

Gabriels Open Professional Players Championship
March 15 - 18, 2007
Valley Forge Convention Center
Valley Forge, PA

Gabriels Open Professional Players Championship payouts

01 Corey Deuel $12,000.00
02 Ronnie Wiseman $7,000.00
03 Rodney Morris $5,000.00
04 Johnny Archer $4,000.00
05 Ryan McCreesh $3,000.00
05 Fabio Petroni $3,000.00
07 Larry Nevel $2,000.00
07 Cliff Joyner $2,000.00
09 Charlie Bryant $1,500.00
09 Joey Korsiak $1,500.00
09 Evgeny Stalev $1,500.00
09 John Schmidt $1,500.00
13 Tony Robles $1,250.00
13 Shaun Wilkie $1,250.00
13 Frankie Hernandez $1,250.00
13 Tony Crosby $1,250.00
17 Stevie Moore $1,000.00
17 Jose Parica $1,000.00
17 Troy Frank $1,000.00
17 Francisco Tomati $1,000.00
17 Tang Hoa $1,000.00
17 Jeremy Jones $1,000.00
17 Kim Davenport $1,000.00
17 Danny Mullhollen $1,000.00

HarryDC
<hr /></blockquote>

sofy60
03-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Im pretty impressed with that payout.. those guys will scrap it out for a thousand or two to the winner.

Qtec
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Pool players- any sportsman/woman- don't play because of the money but in spite of it!
The game/sport is about many things but its never really about the money.

Q

jjinfla
03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Not about the money QTec? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

No money = no players.

Harry is not whinning. He is just pointing out the hard, cold facts. That is why pool, professional pool that is, is on its last legs.

Pros should get paid to perform. The rest of us play it as a hobby and the paltry 1/4 payout and the experience.

Baseball players, basketball players, football players, etc, riding the bench, all get paid.

Pool is just a great big con game and the pros are the ones being conned. Writers, tour directors, cuemakers, table manufacturers, etc, make a few bucks by convincing the pros to play for peanuts. And the players have to supply the money for the prizes. What a con game.

The real heros in the game are Hilliard and Bell. They created a game for people to enjoy. No need to even be good at it, just go out once a week and enjoy themselves.

Yep, Dr. Dave is right, stay in school and learn a trade.

Anyone ever notice that most of the professional players in all of the other sports have college degrees? Pool players are lucky to have finished a few years in High School. How many of them brag that they skipped school to go to the pool room.

But I suppose that is why they are so easily conned to keep playing pool. They just are too dumb to realize that they are being had.

Jake

dr_dave
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Pool players- any sportsman/woman- don't play because of the money but in spite of it!
The game/sport is about many things but its never really about the money.<hr /></blockquote>I think for some of the top players with multiple endorsement deals, sponsorships, exhibitions, appearances, book and video deals, etc., the money is important and can be significant.

Dave

Ralph S.
03-20-2007, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever notice that most of the professional players in all of the other sports have college degrees? Pool players are lucky to have finished a few years in High School. How many of them brag that they skipped school to go to the pool room.
<hr /></blockquote>

Did you stop to think that the vast majority of these professional athletes from the major sports also went to higher education on scholarships which are based very heavily on athletic ability and very little on the athletes grades? Ever notice how so many of these athletes kkep leaving college early to go pro where they are just giving insane dolar amounts to these players?

The NBA is so bad now that many athletes don't even stay in college for two years, let alone four years and actually graduate. These days quite a few try and get there straight from highschool. Ofcourse, if I were making millions per year for playing a game, I would brag about leaving college after one year and not getting a degree too.

Many of these athletes just don't realize the luxury they are given of a quality education just because they can slam dunk a ball or catch a ball or what not. Quite a few of these players have trouble just to stay academically eligible. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

trob
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Pool players- any sportsman/woman- don't play because of the money but in spite of it!
The game/sport is about many things but its never really about the money.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I think what he's saying is..every one of these players would be playing every day even if they didn't make it to the pro's. It just so happens they're good enough to make a living at it. It is pathetic that you pick up billiards digest and read about a top 10 player showing up at some bar to play for a $2000 top prize. You don't see a top golfer..actually you don't see any pga golfer showing up at the local course to pick up some easy money at the local yocal tournament. The game is in sorry state.