PDA

View Full Version : GORE FACES HILL GRILLING ON 'WARMING'; QUESTIONS A

eg8r
03-19-2007, 11:36 AM
From the Drudgereport... [ QUOTE ]
Temperatures are predicted to reach a high of only 43-degrees on Wednesday in Washington, but look for high-heat to come out of Al Gore's scheduled appearances on The Hill!

Gore is set to appear before Rep. John Dingell's [D-MI] all powerful Energy and Commerce Committee in the morning and Sen. Barbara Boxer's [D-CA] Environment and Public Works Committee in the afternoon.

Both are expected to have overflow seating, and protesters, both for and against Gore.

Gore will get a 30 minute opening and then Boxer and her republican counterpart, Sen. Inhofe, each get 15 minutes each of questioning in addition to their opening statements. Other senators will only get 5 min of Q & A.

"Democrat Dingell is a big global warming skeptic, so do not expect him to go too lightly on Gore," predicts a congressional source.

[Dingell has also invited Gore critic, Dr. Bjorn Lomborg, Adjunct Professor, Copenhagen Business School, to appear at the hearing. Lomborg is author of the book 'The Skeptical Environmentalist.' He recetly wrote: "The cacophony of screaming does not help." ]

Proposed questions for Gore, which are circulating behind-the-scenes, have been obtained by the DRUDGE REPORT -- question that could lead Gore scrambling for answers!

Mr. Gore: You have said several times that we have 10 years to act to stave off global warming. Was that 10 years from the first time you said that or 10 years from now? We just wanted to get a firm date from you that we can hold you to.

Mr. Gore: How can you continue to claim that global warming on Earth is primarily caused by mankind when other planets (Mars, Jupiter and Pluto) with no confirmed life forms and certainly no man-made industrial greenhouse gas emissions also show signs of global warming? Wouldn’t it make more sense that the sun is responsible for warming since it is the common denominator?

Mr. Gore: Joseph Romm, the executive director for the Center for Energy and Climate Solutions, has said we must build 700 large nuclear plants to stave off climate change. Where do you stand on the need for nuclear energy?

Mr. Gore: Do you think the earth is significantly overpopulated and that is a major contributor to your view of climate change. (If yes, what do you think is a sustainable population for the planet?)

Developing...

<hr /></blockquote> My favorite question would be the one I bolded. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Could you just imagine seeing his deer in headlights look if that was asked. Hilarious.

Now, I was wondering if anyone can dig up any dirt on Lomborg?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
03-19-2007, 01:08 PM
We don't have to. We have the studies and predictions of 98% of our world-wide Scientific Community, all in agreement of the emergency we face as a planet.

You, and a few Republican Neoconed Oil Cartel Supporters, have your uneducated opinions.

What else is new? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sack316
03-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I thought that 98% number looked familiar. I never realized that 41 congressional democrats made up the scientific community. What I refer to is a "congressional insiders poll" from April 2006 in which 98% of democrats answered yes to the question "Do you think that it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the Earth is warming because of man-made problems?"

Also, since then the % of dems that voted yes DROPPED by 3%.

That's the fun with numbers part, but actually that was only from 41 votes by dems, so the 3% drop I suppose in not a big deal.

And for Gayle's benefit, I will also add that the 31 republicans polled had 23% answer yes in April '06, dropping to 13% now.

Those are from the National Journal btw.

I am curious as to where the 98% you referred to came from though, Gayle. I'm not so much weighing in here (as I've already posted some of my thoughts in other threads), I'm just more curious where a 98% agreement of any world wide community was found---- since it's probably still unlikely to get 98% of a worldwide group of anything to even agree that the Earth revolves around the sun, much less such a high level of concensus on global warming.

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Dear Sak,
I didn't say 98% of the people in tyhe world, I said the Scientific Community, which I think I got from a study done by Johns Hopkins University. I will try to find that for you. If I'm off, I don't think it is by very much...

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
03-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Reaction to WGI
In the weeks before publication of the first report, controversy broke out about the report's projections of sea-level change, which in the new report was estimated at less than previous estimates. The now published text gives a warning that the new estimation of sea-level could be too low: "Dynamical processes related to ice flow not included in current models but suggested by recent observations could increase the vulnerability of the ice sheets to warming, increasing future sea level rise." The mid-points of the sea level rise estimates are within +/- 10% of those from the TAR; but the range has narrowed.

Lord Rees, the president of the Royal Society, said, "This report makes it clear, more convincingly than ever before, that human actions are writ large on the changes we are seeing, and will see, to our climate. The IPCC strongly emphasises that substantial climate change is inevitable, and we will have to adapt to this. This should compel all of us - world leaders, businesses and individuals - towards action rather than the paralysis of fear. We need both to reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases and to prepare for the impacts of climate change. Those who would claim otherwise can no longer use science as a basis for their argument."[8]

U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman told a news conference that the report was "sound science," and "As the president has said, and this report makes clear, human activity is attributing to changes in our earth's climate and that issue is no longer up for debate."[9]. Kurt Volker, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs said We support the recent IPCC report, in which U.S. scientists played a leading role.[10]

Based on the report, 46 countries in a "Paris Call for Action" read out by French President Chirac, have called for the creation of a United Nations Environment Organization (UNEO), which is to have more power than the current United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and is to be modelled after the more powerful World Health Organization. The 46 countries included the European Union nations, but notably did not include the United States, China, Russia, and India, the top four emitters of greenhouse gasses.[11]

http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/page_deleted.asp

It seems this page has expired, no longer available. However, If you don't believe in man made pollutants affecting the climate....check out Asian Brown Cloud....and think of that multiflied by the millions.......

As for my 98%, I have read that figure in several places...IIRC, and will continue to try to find it for you...

later,
Gayle...

Bobbyrx
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Quote Gayle:
We have the studies and predictions of 98% of our world-wide Scientific Community, all in agreement of the emergency we face as a planet.

You, and a few Republican Neoconed Oil Cartel Supporters, have your uneducated opinions , <font color="blue"> along with the U.N., PETA and those wacky cows that work for Chick-Fil-A </font color>

pooltchr
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>

Mr. Gore: You have said several times that we have 10 years to act to stave off global warming. Was that 10 years from the first time you said that or 10 years from now? We just wanted to get a firm date from you that we can hold you to.

<hr /></blockquote>

Ed, I hope it's ten years from now. I will be 65 and be able to retire to Missouri. I always wanted to live at the ocean! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

hondo
03-20-2007, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bobbyrx:</font><hr> Quote Gayle:
We have the studies and predictions of 98% of our world-wide Scientific Community, all in agreement of the emergency we face as a planet.

You, and a few Republican Neoconed Oil Cartel Supporters, have your uneducated opinions , <font color="blue"> along with the U.N., PETA and those wacky cows that work for Chick-Fil-A </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

The cows have now reversed their opinion! Those liberal
flip-floppers!

hondo
03-20-2007, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bobbyrx:</font><hr> Quote Gayle:

<hr /></blockquote>

WOW! A neo-con looking to the U.N. for support!
Will wonders never cease?

Bobbyrx
03-20-2007, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr>WOW! A neo-con looking to the U.N. for support!
Will wonders never cease?
<font color="blue">and PETA too!! What's happening to me? </font color>