PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me why they say Charlie plays slo

07-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey everyone!
Am I missing something here? I just caught the last few racks of the finals in Vegas, and I gotta ask, Why does everyone say Charlie Williams plays slow? I mean, this is the only time I've seen him play, ever, but he seemed pretty damn quick to me!
BTW, I missed the stare-down, but the racks I did see were pretty impressive. Looks like all the scuttlebutt we got about these two was dead on! Great representation, guys!

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2002, 06:04 AM
The TV matches have a 30 second time clock. I haven't seen him live either but Chris in NC has commented on his slow play.

Lester
07-23-2002, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The TV matches have a 30 second time clock. I haven't seen him live either but Chris in NC has commented on his slow play. <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;On the TV match, he was like a "rocket-possessed", but I've seen him play without the clock and he was excrutiatingly slow. He seemed to get down and get up on every shot 4 or 5 times. But he never missed because of over analyzing, and his position play was right on the money. ****Lester****

socrates
07-23-2002, 06:46 AM
Caught the match last night also and it was great. Remember they had a 30 second shot clock last night with one extension per rack.

Fred Agnir
07-23-2002, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Hey everyone!
Am I missing something here? I just caught the last few racks of the finals in Vegas, and I gotta ask, Why does everyone say Charlie Williams plays slow? I mean, this is the only time I've seen him play, ever, but he seemed pretty damn quick to me!
BTW, I missed the stare-down, but the racks I did see were pretty impressive. Looks like all the scuttlebutt we got about these two was dead on! Great representation, guys! <hr></blockquote>
He normally gets down, and then gets back up and then looks around. He did it a couple of times on TV, but nowhere near what he normally does.

Fred

Rich R.
07-23-2002, 07:49 AM
Lorri, I have seen Charlie play without a shot clock and, believe me, it is like a different player. Without the clock, watching grass grow is more exciting than watching Charlie. Last night, I could not believe that this was the same guy I had seen before. The difference was unbelievable.
Rich R.

Lester
07-23-2002, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> Lorri, I have seen Charlie play without a shot clock and, believe me, it is like a different player. Without the clock, watching grass grow is more exciting than watching Charlie. Last night, I could not believe that this was the same guy I had seen before. The difference was unbelievable.
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>
When watching him (without the clock), I remember thinking "He's trying to lock in the "feel" for what he's planning to do. Maybe he's got something there. In any event, it sure unbalances his opponent. ****Lester****

Rich R.
07-23-2002, 08:01 AM
At the D.C. Classic, I watched Charlie play Archer. I swear the match took a day and a half. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Or it just seemed that way. The real competition between the two was who could play a straight-in shot slower. LMAO.
Rich R.

cuechick
07-23-2002, 08:44 AM
I saw his other matches in Vegas as well, and I think his slow play hurts himself more than anyone else. He'll get down, stroke and stroke, then get up chalk, walk around the table, chalk again, get down, stroke, stroke, get up, reach for the chalk, ugh!
It's obvious after the finals, he is often over anyalizing, he dosen't need this...no one should at that level. I think there is a lot to besaid for trusting your instinks and the importance of establishing a good rythmn. He has shown can shoot when he has too, on the clock.
I thought he made more mistakes and unforced errors when he was not on the clock. IMO

Eric.
07-23-2002, 09:11 AM
I think a few people mentioned it-the shot clock. Personally, I think Charlie plays that slow to take his opponent outta rhythm. Either way, everything you heard is true(slower than watching: Paint dry, Grass grow, etc).

Eric &gt;slower than 2 turtles mating

07-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Lorri, I can also confirm firsthand what others here have said about Charlie's slow play - having watched him play at the US Open last year. I couldn't believe I was witnessing the same player last night in the TV match! Perhaps hopefully (for our sakes) he will take this as a hint that he can play just as good or perhaps even better at the fast pace he exhibited with such success in the BCA finals TV match.

Players do go through changes in their tempo/rythym from time to time - as they work on swing/stroke changes and searching for that tempo that suits them best. For example, I noticed since the U.S. Golf Open Sergio Garcia has drastically reduced the number of waggles/re-grips in his pre-shot routine - which he received so much negative criticism for here on the CCB (by myself) and throughout the entire sports world. It will be interesting to see his routine when he plays in the upcoming live televised Battle at Big Horn coming up later this week. - Chris in NC

DEADSTOKE32
07-23-2002, 03:00 PM
WHEN I SAW CHARLIE IN NEW YORK. BE 4 HE BECAME PRO .HE SHOT FAST AND I ALWAYS KNOW HIM AS A FAST PLAYER .IF YOU EVERY SEE "FRAKIE H' FROM NEW YORK. JUST ASK HIM HOW FAST CHARLIE PLAYS .HE HAD CHARLIE LOCKED UP IN "WHITESTONE BILLIARDS" ONE TIME WHEN IT WAS OPEN.I THINK THAY PLAY FOR 2 DAY I THINK. I MIGHT BE WRONG..I LEFT AFTER ABOUT 6 HRS..
CHARLIE ALWAY'S A FAST SHOOTER.