PDA

View Full Version : shot advice

sofy60
03-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Playing on a very fast table I was left with the 8 and 9 remaining in a game of 9 ball naturally. I had to thinly cut the 8 ball into the left corner pocket sending the cue ball to the bottom rail while trying to keep on the brakes by not hitting it hard to stay up for the 9 which was close by. I had to stay on this part of the table or go back and forth 9 feet each way.. Holding up this shot seemed impossible and ive tried it many times today practicing. outside english doesnt get around as the cue loses spin on rail 3. Inside english does even worse dying on rail 3

Hopefully a player may understand this dilemma.. im going to try some more tommorow ill keep the post updated.

TennesseeJoe
03-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Show us the shot with Cuetable. There are two many variables.

Billy_Bob
03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
What I do in situations like this is to use english to get the cue ball to come straight back up table, then use enough speed to make the shot, hit the rail, come up table, then back down and stop for a shot on the 9.

Might want to practice doing this...

Deeman3
03-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm sure you know that you can get a little slower speed off the rail by using draw (kill shot) on this shot, especially if the ball you have thinly cut is close to the cushion the cue will contact. Otherwise, you'll just have to learn how back and forth workd and how the thiness or thickness of the cut effects the cue ball travel and add appropriate side to keep it on your intended line of travel.

DeeMan

dg-in-centralpa
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Great website Dee! I have to check these closer and get some of those shirts.

DG

mantis
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
If you are on a fast table and have a shot that will not hold, don't fight it. Just go up the table and back. If you want to be a good player, you have to be able to do this. Look at the tangent line. If the ball will naturally come to a place that leaves a shot on the 9, then all you have to do is play the right speed. If it won't, slight spin one way or another (depending on the ball location of course) will get you there. Shooting this shot will allow you to let your stroke out anyways, which often makes for a more comfortable shot.

Stretch
03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> If you are on a fast table and have a shot that will not hold, don't fight it. Just go up the table and back. If you want to be a good player, you have to be able to do this. Look at the tangent line. If the ball will naturally come to a place that leaves a shot on the 9, then all you have to do is play the right speed. If it won't, slight spin one way or another (depending on the ball location of course) will get you there. Shooting this shot will allow you to let your stroke out anyways, which often makes for a more comfortable shot. <hr /></blockquote>

Mantis good post. Yes the thin cut says it all. Your going to loose the cb. Better to go back and forth with full stroke as try to be " too cute" with something else. If the ob is close to the rail you need to play this shot with low draw or you'll hold the shot up and not make it back. St.

Rod
03-22-2007, 12:43 AM
You have to take what the table gives you. Fast tables need a lot more finesse. If you can't handle such then you have to go extra rails. The trick is, is knowing the easy/best route to come into the angle.

Rod

Snapshot9
03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
My motto has always been 'When in doubt, go the extra rail'.

But, the best way to 'hold' the cue ball is with low inside english shot as a draw drag shot. (kill shot).

Players get themselves in trouble all the time trying to hold a cue ball for shape, when it is much more natural to just go the extra rail, and come back into your shape instead of going away from it.

Rod
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Low inside could be a good option. I wasn't clear on the exact layout, a wei could have helped. Thing is though, get the diagram off a balls width and your answer can be wrong. If its not up close in person the best advice is go the extra rail.

Rod

Deeman3
03-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks DG!

I'll get an Amish version out soon! NO, folks I know he's not Amish! We both just have thought of them a lot over the years.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mantis
03-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Low inside may be an option, but if it is thin enough, it certainly makes making the OB harder, and still may be difficult to hold the CB. In fact, it may be a harder shot to try and hold it than just let it go with a natural stroke.

cushioncrawler
03-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I dont think anyone haz mentioned the method mentioned by Jimmy White in hiz book. If the OB is close to the qball, and not too close to the cushion, uze max screw. The qball hits the OB at highish pace, then loozez pace while skidding between the OB and cushion, and begins rolling just before it hits the cushion (going slow by now), and then it stays in that half of the table. Otherwize u karnt stop it from going to the far end. But, the qball will come off the OB at greater than 90dg, so u will need to decide if that angle iz ok. madMac.