PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use the Suitcase Style Cue Case?

Gayle in MD
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I've always like the look of them, and thought that one's cues would stay cleaner in such a case. Would seem easier to carry, also, and I don't like hanging my case on my shoulder. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Gayle in Md.

Paul_Mon
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I've always like the look of them, and thought that one's cues would stay cleaner in such a case. Would seem easier to carry, also, and I don't like hanging my case on my shoulder. Any opinions?

Gayle,
My best friends dad made one for me out of maple that holds one cue. It's simple and functional and means a lot to me because of the source. But I don't use it other than for storage of a cue. That's all it does, protect and transport one cue, no storage pockets.

regards.......Paul

Thanks,
Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Thank you for your kind response. I'm thinking of getting one, which would hold several cues. Haven't really shopped for one yet, but I plan to do so.

Thanks again.

Gayle in Md.

ceebee
03-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I have always liked the O'Neil 2-4 case. It can hold my Play Cue, my Break Cue &amp; my NEW Jump Cue, plus all the other accessories. I also have an Instroke 3-7.

The only drawback is you shouldn't throw or drop the hard case on your automobile's seat covers. You need to lay the case down a little more gently.

MrLucky
03-22-2007, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I've always like the look of them, and thought that one's cues would stay cleaner in such a case. Would seem easier to carry, also, and I don't like hanging my case on my shoulder. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <font color="green"> Hi Gayle ! There is a guy that comes into Mr Cues where I play here in Atlanta (usually during national and regional tournys ) that makes some beautiful wood cases, not heavy as one might expect ! they are costly around @300 and up but very unique let me know if you want more info Peace PC! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gayle in MD
03-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Well, hi there firend. Thanks, I'd be interested. Do you know if he has a website, or how I might reach him?

Hope all is well... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
03-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Gayle,

I had one for years and I think I gave it to my brother but I liked the security of the hardness of the case but just did not like the boxy look nor the lack of real space to put anything aside from cues and shafts. It also bothered me that thhere is only one way to carry that case, like a suitcase, where most others can be carried by the end of the center handle.

Gayle in MD
03-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi, and thank you.

Tell me, when using such a case, is it OK to rest it on it's side, as one would a suitcase, or must one always rest the case flat?

I really like the look of them, and I'm due an up-grade. The other style quality cases seem so heavy, whenever I've looked into them.

Thanks,
Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
03-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks, Dee,
I wonder, of the two styles, which seems heaviest to you. It's the weight, as much as the way one is carried, that I thought might be an improvement for a small person, with a pinched nerve in my neck, I don't like to carry things on my shoulder. Since my handbag, is often on one shoulder, it's a bit clumsey to have the other shoulder involved, too, and I don't like to have objects touching my clothes. After years of being used to carrying a brief case, and a hand bag, I thought the case style might be easier to carry around. I feel like a pack horse with the tube style case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
I have one of the cases you mention, and it is definitely lighter. But you have to carry it by the luggage handle, so it occupies one of your hands. It did come with a softcover "outer case" that has a shoulder strap, but that's another bag you have to keep up with after you arrive.

You can search my old posts from about three years ago for more comments.

I'm in Deeman's camp regarding space for accessories, though. It seems that the pouches on the outside of regular cases are handier and hold more.

SpiderMan

Snapshot9
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
I had one as my very first case, a 1 x 2, Dark Olive Green which I liked at first, but liked less and less as I went along. I could never get used to not having space to put
accessories in, and when you go to something bigger than a 1 x 2, they too start to get heavy. Besides the hard rather sterile look to them is just not me (didn't fit with my personality I felt). They also have a tendency to get scuffe3d up around the edges which detracts from their looks very fast.

The answer for you might be an envelope style case out of leather, they are lighter, easier to carry, and some come with outside pockets for accessories. Some are also tooled, and are sharp looking. There is a custom case maker that specializes in those, and it was on AZB a few months ago, but I can not remember who it was.

I have owned a few cases, It's George (which is better than suitcase style), a Porper 4 x 8 (too heavy), and others.

I have a Crystal Leisure (with the embrioded Wizard on it) that I picked up for $30) soft case that has a small and large pocket on it like the hard cases. I got it to just carry for league night or when I planned to hustle a game somewhere. Now, I carry mostly a soft/hard Action 3 x 5 case which I feel is just right for me, and it is not heavy to me. Getting a case with a wide padded shoulder strap is important, as well as a good handle (mine is industrial rubber, very comfortable to carry with.

I just do not like the boxy-ness of the suitcase styled case anymore, kind of reminds me of people who drive Volvos or Scions (squares).

Deeman3
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Gayle,

I think the case style is lighter and I had forgotten about your pinched nerve. I migfht say, that entire painful time I went through after the 18 wheeler hit DeeWoman's vett from the rear is history. I was prescribed a traction device that i used on occasion several times a week and have had zero problems since! If you remember, I was seriouly considering spinal fision surgery and just did the traction device and some deep neck massage therapy as a last ditch effort. Boy, am I ever glad I did not show up for the surgery....

If the neck is the problem, I'd get the hard case and just keep extra items in your purse.

I'll loan you my traction device if you've not tried one.

Gayle in MD
03-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Dee,
Are you sitting in a chair, hanging yourself from the back of the door, bricks for weight? LOL... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have one of those around here, I've been using it for years. Is there something more modern these days?

Well, mine (pinched nerve) won't ever go away, but I'm still not having the surgery. Most of the time, if I'm careful, it isn't a problem, depends on how many tulips I'm planting, lol.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman3
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Gayle,

I lay on my back and operate a small hand pump that apply tension to the neck...No, that's my "Other" home device, JK!

It has helped me sooo much but, as you say, our conditions may be different although mine was described as a pinched nerve caused by a crushed C7....

I thank God every day that it has made me able to function without pain and no Vicoden, with apologies to Rush...

Tom_In_Cincy
03-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I've seen two regular players use this style case. Both players are very happy with them and they look very functional.

https://www.longoniusa.com/categoryNavigationDocument.hg?categoryId=6

Thanks,

Gayle in MD
03-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Tom,
How are you doing? And, thanks for the input, I'll check out this link, too.

You take care now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks Marty,

How are you?

I don't really carry much in my case. Small towel, extra chalk, tip gadget, everything else is in my purse.

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
03-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Spiderman carrys so much stuff, he can change your tip and rotate your tires while you wait. I am guilty of carrying way too much in my case as well. I was fishing around in there last week and saw I still have my original wedding ring in there. I took it off over 10 years ago.

Bob_Jewett
03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I've always like the look of them, and thought that one's cues would stay cleaner in such a case. Would seem easier to carry, also, and I don't like hanging my case on my shoulder. Any opinions? ... <hr /></blockquote>
Right now I'm using a soft case that zips up the side. There are six terry cloth sleeves open on both ends sewed inside that the shafts and butts slip into. I can also put in additional shafts in between the sleeves for extra capacity. It is the same shape as a tube case more or less, and I use the shoulder strap, but it also has a brief-case-style handle. It's quite light. One thing I like about it is that it can take thick butts and butts with rubber wraps that would tend to get stuck in a tube case.

JimS
03-22-2007, 10:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I've always like the look of them, and thought that one's cues would stay cleaner in such a case. Would seem easier to carry, also, and I don't like hanging my case on my shoulder. Any opinions? ... <hr /></blockquote>
Right now I'm using a soft case that zips up the side. There are six terry cloth sleeves open on both ends sewed inside that the shafts and butts slip into. I can also put in additional shafts in between the sleeves for extra capacity. It is the same shape as a tube case more or less, and I use the shoulder strap, but it also has a brief-case-style handle. It's quite light. One thing I like about it is that it can take thick butts and butts with rubber wraps that would tend to get stuck in a tube case. <hr /></blockquote>

Much like you Bob I have a soft case, a Silver Fox. I've removed the sleeves and put tubes from a hard case in cue cavity. It'll hold anywhere from a couple cues to 4 or 5. I usually carry 2x3 with me and have ample room for a Tony Ryan cue extender which I've made to 27" long, and lots of stuff... towel, book, cue ball plus all the normal cue maintance stuff.

Gayle.... Hey! I like those suitcase style cases also and I bought one on ebay but I don't use it as it doesn't hold any stuff. Gotta have my stuff. Not even room for my glasses. I'll store my prize SW in it.

Hope you are well.

Gayle in MD
03-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey Jim,
Gee it's nice to hear from you. I sure hope all is well. BTW, I have a new e-mail address. If you accept pm's on here, I'll send it to you.

Well, I must say, I never realized, before posting this question, how inconvenient it can be to be a man, and have no purse! Must admit, it's nice being a gal, also, since I can always rely on my guy friends, to take care of everything from my cue tip, to a flat tire! They carry all the "Stuff" I would need if I'm out shooting pool, and take over for me if anything goes wrong! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for reminded me how much I do enjoy being a girl! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You take care now Jim, and good to hear from you friend...
Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
03-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi again Mr. Jewett,
That's is one of the problems I have, the butts getting stuck. I'm either going to go with a soft case, tube style, or the suitcase style. Any suggestions on manufacturers, for both styles?

Thanks again for your input. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrLucky
03-25-2007, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Well, hi there firend. Thanks, I'd be interested. Do you know if he has a website, or how I might reach him?

Hope all is well... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="purple"> I expect he will be at the tourny here next wkend If so I will get his info I lost your number , either pm me or call mine are the same ! Peace Phil </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bob_Jewett
03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Hi again Mr. Jewett,
That's is one of the problems I have, the butts getting stuck. I'm either going to go with a soft case, tube style, or the suitcase style. Any suggestions on manufacturers, for both styles?

Thanks again for your input. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Longoni makes a suitcase style, I believe. The case I have is made by George Aronek. I'm not sure about retail sources for that.

BigRigTom
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi Gayle,
I have been reading your thread for my own education....
I have considered those new Longoni Cases...they are cool.
BUT...pretty expensive and they are rather big and a bit bulky.

Take a look at this action case...it may be more along the line of what you are talking about.
It also serves as a travel case when you are flying to various parts of the country for tournaments.

Action Travel Case (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/acpocuedetrc.html)

It isn't as cool at the Longoni but it also isn't over $200 buck!

Gayle in MD
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks Phil, and you take care now! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks again Mr. Jewett. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Thank you tom, I'll check that out.

have a nice day... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in Md.

Snapshot9
03-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Here are those leather envelope styled cases I mentioned previously, made by Dennis Swift. You can have one made with a handle for carrying like a suitcase, and they only weigh 2.66 lbs.

Dennis Swift Envelope styled leather cases (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=53524&amp;highlight=Envelope+cases)

Snapshot9
03-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Gayle ... Just trying to give you options for what you want in a case. Look at these Ron Thomas cases, excellent cases, real nice looking (I love the large gator and textured gator cases).

There are several pages, don't miss the signature case page.

I absolutely love the first 3 left cases - sharp sharp looking cases.

Ron Thomas cue cases (http://www.indyq.com/cases/thomas/index04.html)

Gayle ... If you look at the bottom pricing, you can have a handle put onto a 1 x 2 case, and/or a pocket, depending on what you want.