PDA

View Full Version : Pool Rooms-Past & Present

Morris183
03-23-2007, 05:31 PM
During the 50's, while living in the Bronx, New York, there was AL'S Pool Room on Burnside & Jerome Avenue. It was a 2 floor walkup. Next door was a Bagel maker, and the smells on a late Saturday night would drift into the pool hall. The favorite game at the time was Chicago and plenty of side bets were made. Unfortunately, the big guys occupied the tables and being one of the kids, illegally sneaking in, I was never able to hone my skills. It was usually 5 deep at the big money table so I hung out from a distance. Moe

strokeless
03-24-2007, 10:40 PM
how about scotty's on fordham road and tully's off arthur ave.

MrLucky
03-25-2007, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> During the 50's, while living in the Bronx, New York, there was AL'S Pool Room on Burnside &amp; Jerome Avenue. It was a 2 floor walkup. Next door was a Bagel maker, and the smells on a late Saturday night would drift into the pool hall. The favorite game at the time was Chicago and plenty of side bets were made. Unfortunately, the big guys occupied the tables and being one of the kids, illegally sneaking in, I was never able to hone my skills. It was usually 5 deep at the big money table so I hung out from a distance. Moe <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red">Hi there I am from Long Island grew up in Amityville you made me think a lot about the good ole days I posted on them and my memories ! thanks for the good thoughts Peace MrLucky! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Morris183
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Present-Last night we loaded the grand kids, wife and son, friend of my son and his kids and off we went to Grovers in West Palm Beach, Fla. Got there at 7 and it turned out it was a league night. Steve the owner set us up with 2 tables in the back away from the action and off we went. It felt like 40 years ago. There was a police car outside and the sheriff inside playing along side the other regulars. We had a great time and even got to watch a few big money racks at the premier table. Gosh I'm enjoying this game but heading back North in another 2 weeks. Moe

fatrascal
03-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Yep, don't remember the name but my fall from grace into evil pool ocured at a place on west 10th in oklahoma city by the fairgrounds. Games were 10 cents a rack and it was much more intresting than english or history on a spring
afternoon following the football season. Fortunately they did not have a point system for absence in those days. Once I became of age we had a bar where the beer. game, andhunks of Cheese with crackers were all 25 cents each. I asked the owner once how he could possibly sell the beer for only a quarter and stay in business. He pointed to the 12 tables and the juke box and said they are busy from open to close and bring over a grand a week. This was in the late 60's so that was good money. He also said that beer only cost him a penny an ounce so he could pour all day long and still make money. By the way his beer were only 8 oz. With a head on it we may have gotten 6 oz beer. I guess his momma didn't raise any dummies.