PDA

View Full Version : Shaft weight?

irunrax
03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I bought a predator z-shaft for my jacoby which is noticibly lighter than the jacoby shaft and changes the balance point of the cue. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, did it bother you enough to not use it? It is a problem for me, but i wonder if i will get accustumed to it over continuois play. Thanks, David

sygfrid
03-25-2007, 11:28 PM
That's the problem if you buy an "after market" part. Normally, you have to send the after market shaft to the cue maker to fit & balance it with the butt since the original shaft is made to balance the butt.

What's wrong with your original shaft?

Chopstick
03-26-2007, 06:28 AM
If it really bothers you that much, just go down to the golf store and get some lead tape and rebalance the cue. I would put it on the back of the shaft near the joint. Once you have the feel you like, take it off and weigh it. You will then know how many grams to add to the shaft to rebalance the cue the way you want it.

There are a couple of ways to permenantly fix it. I would do it with tungsten powder, also available at the golf store or online. One you have the exact weight you need, ask a cuemaker for advice. Adding weight to the back of a shaft will not affect it's deflection characteristics.

Snapshot9
03-26-2007, 07:51 AM
That is exactly my argument with all of the after-market shafts. IT CHANGES THE BALANCE, and that is worse, to me, that any benefit gained on aiming by the After-Market shafts.

It is like having your thumb hole constant on a bowling ball, and moving the finger holes 1/2" to the right.

Chopstick
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Interesting points. I just compared the wieghts of a 314 shaft and a comparable Joss shaft. I find the 314 is 4 grams of 1/8 once lighter. I haven't had a cue that had a balance that I liked in many years. I have lost my sensitivity to it.

Back in the old days when we used to order cues we inststed that both shafts had to exactly the same weight and feel or we sent the cue back.

I don't have any cues that I can test this with. How far would you say the balance point moves?

irunrax
03-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I sold the shaft to a friend for what i paid. He wanted one and was happy. I only bought the z-shaft to try it out and see if i would like it. I like the shaft which came with my jacoby, but i was curious to see if i would like the shaft. I have played with one on someone elses cue but it was hard to judge the shaft on a couple of shots. I still have a 314 on order with jacoby, however, i am hoping it will be matched up a little better since the maker of the cue is installing the joint. Thanks for the replies, David