PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hall

Gibsy
03-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Gday Guys and Girls,

Just joined your forum today and i was wondering about setting up my own Pool Hall. It has always been a dream of mine and I know it would be successful in my area. What are some tips you can give me for a few things:

1) Starting up and what brand tables to hire.

2) Alcohol or no Alcohol or should I have a seperate area
for drinking?

3) Where is a good place to find Pro's to help run workshops and things for younger players.

4) How many tables should I hire?

5) How many Accessories per table?

6) Anything I may have missed.

I appreciate everything and thankyou in advance for your advice.

BLACKHEART
03-24-2007, 06:41 PM
The latest figures I've seen, show that 1/3 of the profit comes from food. 1/3 from alcohol & the rest split between table time & pro shop. It's really hard to make it with a pool hall, but without food & booze, it ain't gonna happen. Even busy pool halls, are only full for a few hours a day. Let's say you have 10 tables & they are all full for 6 hour @ $10 per hour. That's $600 for table time for your busiest days. On your slow days, you will only have a fraction of that. You will have to know how much your building rent & utilities are & see if you can make a profit after expences. You will have to OWN all of your equipment or you'll be splitting your profits. I don't own a pool hall, but I have talked to several who do & these are some of the things they have told me. GOOD LUCK...JER

Gibsy
03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
The thing that i am worried about with owning my own equiptment is the servicing fee's.

Also, now that I think about it, is it wise to have a snooker section set up aswell?

BLACKHEART
03-24-2007, 08:09 PM
I worked in a pool hall as a kid. We retiped our own Qs & recovered our tables. As far as Snooker goes, you'll have to decide how popular Snooker is, in your area. Locally we have a pool hall, with 6 tables & 2 of them are Snooker. Other than that, there isn't another Snooker table, within 60 miles...JER

trob
03-25-2007, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I worked in a pool hall as a kid. We retiped our own Qs &amp; recovered our tables. As far as Snooker goes, you'll have to decide how popular Snooker is, in your area. Locally we have a pool hall, with 6 tables &amp; 2 of them are Snooker. Other than that, there isn't another Snooker table, within 60 miles...JER <hr /></blockquote>

I've been playing pool for 20 years and I've never seen a snooker table other then pictures. lol The ivory billiard room set up a billiard table for awhile only because the owner had bought an antique one and wanted to hit around on it for a little for shits and giggles.

Gibsy
03-25-2007, 08:08 AM
We have snooker tables at almost every RSL and Lawn bowls club in my area, but no quality pool tables and thats what Ive always wanted. I would also like it to be a place where you can get tuition and a good place to run Leagues and competitions and such. I love the game, I've only been playing legally lol for 3 years but I have instantly fallen in love with it and want to be a part of it as my career.

MrLucky
03-25-2007, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gibsy:</font><hr> We have snooker tables at almost every RSL and Lawn bowls club in my area, but no quality pool tables and thats what Ive always wanted. I would also like it to be a place where you can get tuition and a good place to run Leagues and competitions and such. I love the game, I've only been playing legally lol for 3 years but I have instantly fallen in love with it and want to be a part of it as my career. <hr /></blockquote>The snooker table s are in use in the two places here that I play at! as far as the rest ! You need to develop a business plan that incorporates the things that were suggested analysis of your market and competition the return or average return on tables versus upkeep / maintenance etcetera ! and the return from bar and food versus labor and space rents etcetera this will guide you to a profitable investment ! Good Luck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-25-2007, 09:54 AM
First question to answer is, what kind of a PH do you want, players house, recreational, sports bar, etc.? You can get more revenue off of coin-ops if your clientele is possibly going to be rusty locals, plus the real estate for a 7-footer gives more tables per room. I'm not condoning a totally recreational hall but at the same time I've seen non alcohol rooms catering to the teen crowd with mainly sevens, and they had a thriving business. If it's a players house, then alcohol will usually be required for a profit. BTW non of the regular halls I play at have a bar table at all, my choice of venues for the most part. OOPS! The new place I play at now has several Cougar tables, and will also have snooker and billiards as well. There's a lot of investment bucks in this place.

Having a seperate roon for drinking might get you both a rec and a players type business. sid

canadan
03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
The pool hall I goto has a cafe and its packed in the A.M. With coffee drinkers then about 3:00 the regulars come in for a few drinks after work I'd say most of the income comes from drinks for tables they have 1 pay table (brought in for our league team) 3 7's 2 9' 2 9' billiard tables(no pockets).and pre maid meals that just have to be heated and lots of sandwiches and small pizzas

mantis
03-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I would go with either Brunswick Gold Crown, or Diamond tables. They are the best, and are what real players will want to use. I would have them covered with Simonis 860 cloth. It is used in almost every tournament, and is a household name to pool players. Balls would be Aramith super pro, and would be cleaned daily. Chalk would be Masters.

While die hards may not like this, I would not be against having both bar size tables and 9 footers. Real tournaments are generally played on 9 footers, but a lot of people play in leauges on bar sized tables. Also, the lesser player may be less intimidated by the smaller table, and see it as a stepping stone. I played at a hall in college that had mostly smaller tables, and one 9 ft gold crown. I never had trouble getting that table, because most people used the smaller ones. With that being said, I would not choose a hall that only had smaller tables if one with larger ones was around. The serious regulars will want 9 footers.

Be sure to have leagues and handicapped tournaments. That will bring people in consistently. Affordable lessons won't hurt either, nor will a pro shop with anything from the more affordable, to the more extravagant. Your patrons will want to support you as long as the prices are not too high.

Good Luck.

Gibsy
03-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Hmm, I'm starting to think about 8 tables, 3 bar 5 9 footers with a bar/cafe area where you can bring your drinks and food to the pool area, just not at the tables and a pro shop, maybe some test cue's of Maple Ash and Graphite so people can see what they prefer.

jjinfla
03-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Before you jump in stop in at the local Police Station and talk to the Commander there and find out what pitfalls (legally) may befall you.

Also, stop in and talk with your City Representatives and ask them the same question.

The local pool room owner here thought he could add a dance floor (that's where the big bucks are along with the bar) and is running into all kinds of legal problems.

The main one being no one under 21 is allowed in the room at any time.

Now he is suing the City and the Cops are camped outside the room stopping the patrons to see if they can write DUI's. Not exactly good for business.

Jake

Gibsy
03-26-2007, 09:38 AM
yeah I was going to anyways to see if I can find a suitable place aswell.