PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Pete cues

dusmur
03-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Hello all,

I've just joined and have a (probably) stupid question.
What is a Sneaky Pete cue? What differentiates it from a 'standard' cue?

JPB
03-25-2007, 01:53 PM
A sneaky pete is a 2 piece cue that looks like a house cue. Sometimes it may start as a house cue and get made into a 2 piece by a cuemaker. Other times a custom maker or production cue company will make it. Some are very plain, others have some stuff added so you know it isn't a house cue. A lot of times they are a very good value, you get a solid cue without paying for anything fancy. In your other post you asked about cues from 100-200 it looked like. You might be wise to get a 200-250 sneaky pete rather than something fancy. Search the archives for various makers. Showcase Billiards in the Denver suburbs advertises custom sneakys starting at 190 or so I think. I have only hit with 2 of their sneakys, but both were solid and great value for the money. Many other makers get mentioned for good or great value in sneaky petes.

dusmur
03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
So essentially its a "no-frills" cue? But usually still a good-playing one?

Thanks for the info!!!

trob
03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dusmur:</font><hr> So essentially its a "no-frills" cue? But usually still a good-playing one?

Thanks for the info!!! <hr /></blockquote>

I see alot of the younger guys playing with sneaky pete's. It's not to fool anybody..you can see right away by the quality of it that it's not a house cue but they want a hit from a certain custom cue maker and they just can't afford all the bells and whistle's.

dusmur
03-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Ahh...I do believe I'm beginning to understand...sounds like exactly what I'm in the market for...now all I've got to do is decide on the brand...

Dagwood
03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Just one thing to remember. The "hit", or playability of a cue is highly dependant on the player. i.e., what feels good to you won't feel good to me. From my experience, what most people like about sneaky pete's is that they employ a straight wood to wood joint, no collars, or inserts. This is about as close as you can get to the hit of a house cue, which most consider to be the ideal hit. but it might not be what feels most comfortable for you. Try a few different kinds out...straight wood to wood joints, wood to wood with an insert in the shaft (usually to accomodate a smaller pin), different size pins, and different material in the butt. (ebony, cocobolo, ect...). Each will give a different feel to the cue. Happy hunting!

Dags