PDA

View Full Version : Picture that shot

jjinfla
03-25-2007, 02:39 PM
How many of you picture the shot before you shoot it? I mean actually visualize the CB hitting the OB and the OB going where you want it to go.

I have come to believe that this is really necessary when playing this game.

I know when I visualize the shot I make it more often than not.

How many times have you missed a shot and after the miss you said, "I knew I was going to miss it". I have done that a lot and I now believe that what happens in those cases is that I actually visualize missing the shot rather than making the shot therefore the brain makes the body do what it is seeing and I miss the shot.

So, no more visualizing a miss for me.

Jake

trob
03-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Dude that's just mental play 101. lol You have to see it...feel it...and hear it drop in the pocket befor you shoot it. The real trick is for that to become second nature so that you do it without thinking about haveing to do it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Because the only thing you can really think about is makeing balls and getting position. Everything else has to be done second nature.

dusmur
03-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I think there's a fine line between visualizing the perfect shot and overthinking it. That is to say, I can walk up to a fairly difficult shot, and simply FEEL the shot happening before I take it. I invariably make the shot. Other times, I sight up, and over-mentalize what I've got to do. Where do I need to leave the QB for my next shot or two or three? Where's it going to scratch if I miscue? How will I set up my opponent if I miss this shot (8 ball)? When those thoughts enter my mind, my focus generally goes out the window. I find that accepting the FEELING of the shot, which definitely includes visualizing it, but not overthinking it, is the key to a great shot. You'll find a way to make the next few, or make a safety if no other shots are available.
The love of the game, the moment is what matters. Visualize positively, and the rest will follow.

Snapshot9
03-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Visioning a shot comes from Instinct and Imagination.
Experience breeds knowledge which becomes second hand to us, and therefore Instinctual over time.

Thinking through a shot comes from your mind, questioning, verifying, and correcting.

Visioning is viewing the 'whole' of the shot. (top down)
Thinking through a shot (bottom up) is considering all the details of a shot to reach a total goal.

Some people relate to the world through pictures more so than logic, others relate through logic to get to a picture, or goal.

Now, with this in place, it is not hard to see the Natural vs. Logic player argument, or the argument that the older one becomes, the more the tendency towards becoming a Logic
player in lieu of being a Natural player.

Even on the Natural side of things, Imagination may start with a Picture, but usually contains some thinking.

Billy_Bob
03-26-2007, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> How many of you picture the shot before you shoot it? I mean actually visualize the CB hitting the OB and the OB going where you want it to go...<hr /></blockquote>

Come to think about it, I do this before every shot. However it is more like...

Visualize the CB hitting the OB and the [CB] going where you want it to go (OB going into pocket of course).

Many times after a shot I'm watching the CB. Watching where the CB goes. See if it goes where I visualized it going. And see if it stops where I wanted it to stop - pictured it stopping.

Stretch
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> How many of you picture the shot before you shoot it? I mean actually visualize the CB hitting the OB and the OB going where you want it to go.

I have come to believe that this is really necessary when playing this game.

I know when I visualize the shot I make it more often than not.

How many times have you missed a shot and after the miss you said, "I knew I was going to miss it". I have done that a lot and I now believe that what happens in those cases is that I actually visualize missing the shot rather than making the shot therefore the brain makes the body do what it is seeing and I miss the shot.

So, no more visualizing a miss for me.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake, have you ever left the cb precisely where you did not want it to go? Like a scratch, or frozen behind the only other ball on the table, or tight to a rail you know? Well i discovered how this happens. Your subconscious mind does not recognize the words "do not" or "don't. If your down on the shot and your last thoughts were don't scratch, or don't be too heavy your mind will only hear scratch or too heavy! I swear, this is so true it's uncanny. You need to be SPECIFIC and POSATIVE for every action to be processed correctly and executed. Seeing the shot and visualizing it's results from start to finish gives all the information needed for the subconscious to create the action and feed it to your body. St.

BigRigTom
03-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Stretch!
Did you read the book "The Secret".

***Your subconscious mind does not recognize the words "do not" or "don't. ***

That is exactly what they say in that book.
I agree with it too....You need to concentrate on what you want....NOT what you DON"T want.....to happen. Some how we are MORE able to make it happen if we are positively motivated and directed.

trob
03-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I was always tought that to think make it instead of don't miss. That your mind takes out negative words like don't so all you get is miss. but again..even that has to be done second nature.

Stretch
03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Stretch!
Did you read the book "The Secret".

***Your subconscious mind does not recognize the words "do not" or "don't. ***

That is exactly what they say in that book.
I agree with it too....You need to concentrate on what you want....NOT what you DON"T want.....to happen. Some how we are MORE able to make it happen if we are positively motivated and directed. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom i'm sure i didn't get that from "The Secret". I've heard a lot about this book though so i think i might pick it up. I like reading stuff like that. If i'm not mistaken i got this information from a very good Sport Psychologist who wrote Face you Fear and do it Anyways. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

jjinfla
03-27-2007, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>
Jake, have you ever left the cb precisely where you did not want it to go? Like a scratch, or frozen behind the only other ball on the table, or tight to a rail you know? Well i discovered how this happens. Your subconscious mind does not recognize the words "do not" or "don't. If your down on the shot and your last thoughts were don't scratch, or don't be too heavy your mind will only hear scratch or too heavy! I swear, this is so true it's uncanny. You need to be SPECIFIC and POSATIVE for every action to be processed correctly and executed. Seeing the shot and visualizing it's results from start to finish gives all the information needed for the subconscious to create the action and feed it to your body. St. <hr /></blockquote>

That is what I was actually thinking when I started this thread. We "picture" the miss and then are surprised when the shot follows the picture of the miss.

Jake

Pool_fan
01-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Hello, Did anyone have trouble visualizing the shot before but now you can (any suggestions)? I can feel the shot so I rely on that but I've always heard that visualizing the shot was better.