PDA

View Full Version : Earl the Pearl, and a little respect

07-22-2002, 11:45 PM
Most of the comments I have read on this message board have done nothing but criticize Earl Strickland. You don't have to like Earl as a person. From what I have seen and heard, I don't like Earl as a person. You do have to respect the man a little for winning a major title like this and for every other tournament the man has won. Face the facts, the man can play some 9 ball. Everyone has met or will meet people that they don't like during their life time, that is expected through human nature. You must remember, everyone has something special about them, and for Earl, he may not be the most wholesome or polite person in the world, but he sure can play some jam up 9 ball.

07-23-2002, 01:36 AM
i don't think anyone would deny earl's greatness as a player. so you're really only agreeing with everyone else. but he's still a jerk and he beat someone that everyone was pulling for.

07-23-2002, 01:38 AM
Actually, not everyone was pulling for. I was hoping Earl would win, and I am not everyone.

07-23-2002, 08:02 AM
I too, was pulling for Earl to win as a fellow countryman and arguably the best nine ball player ever. However, once he won I am embarassed and ashamed that our country is represented by such a bigot and racist. He hides behind our flag to to pretend he is just like the rest of us Americans.
He isn't. As a pool player he is a giant. As a human being barely a recognizable dot. I applaud his talent and envy his skill but I wish he was more like the majority of Americans.

Voodoo Daddy
07-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Clicking ring to side of cue....good shot Art. Finally, I thought it was me and Tom from Cincy vs. the board on this one.

ted harris
07-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Me too...

Kato
07-23-2002, 02:20 PM
I didn't exactly endorse Earl but I certainly didn't dog him out.

Kato

phil in sofla
07-23-2002, 02:28 PM
I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if what Earl has done that is bigoted or racist might not be fairly close to what a majority of Americans just might do. (Didn't follow this particular episode of Earlisms, so cannot say, specifically).

As to Earl's demanding nature, his perfectionism, etc., that is quite common among persons considered 'stars' in their fields, who are high achievers/earners. Pool might not have so many, because really, no one makes so much money in pool as to get out of the upper middle class and imagine they should be getting 'millionaire' type catered to treatment-- but I'll bet Earl's not the only one in pool with such behaviors.

The tempermental prima donna is a definite American type. Usually, all they have to do is win, baby ((c) Al Davis), for all to be forgiven by most Americans. John McEnroe and Ty Cobb come to mind as exceptions, for despite their excellent achievements, still their level of antics turned off a fair number of Americans. If Earl were more widely known, he might be inducted into that small club of those who, despite winning and achieving, still alienate the general public.

John in NH
07-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Hi Art,

Right on, In my generation it was John McEnroe, you can't dispute the fact that the man could play some mean tennis, the fans turned out in droves to see his temper tantrums.

Regards,

John

Tom_In_Cincy
07-23-2002, 08:01 PM
People may dislike Earl, but if they ran a tournament, they wouldn't make as much if Earl didn't show up... and they know it.

07-23-2002, 10:51 PM
if i had to choose between earl or the top filipinos, i would take the filipinos. i think they would be a bigger draw. i would prefer to see efrem, busta, and alex. there's something attractive that the filipinos have brought to the sport.

since pool isn't exactly a big money sport, earl's absence or presence wouldn't mean as much as in other sports.

DEADSTOKE32
07-24-2002, 09:02 AM
SO HE STILL A JERK .HE TREATS PEOPLE LIKE THAY A LOWER THEN HIM .AND THAT IS BAD FOR POOL ALL OVER THE WORLD .AND FOR THE PLAYERS FROM THE USA.WHEN THAY GO OVER SEAS .THAY SEE "EARL AND COREY" .AND POW THAY THINK PEOPLE FROM THE USA ARE THE SAME .. BUT HE IS WHAT HE IS.....

07-24-2002, 11:59 PM
I guess your post goes to show the illiteracy of America as well. "Thay" is THEY.

Voodoo Daddy
07-25-2002, 12:43 AM
NO heart, no stroke foreigner's or US Bashers {there is a few on CCB} wont even post a screen name. I for one am tired of the Earl/America/Euro-babies, let it go folks. Earl is and always will be pool's poster child for the First Amendment{sp}. I'm sure a few of you dont like what I'm saying...get to the pool room and hit some balls, beat Earl then you cant rant and rave all you want too. Thats fair, isnt it?

DEADSTOKE32
07-28-2002, 09:41 PM
O THAT IS SO TRUE BUT IT'S HARD ..BUT THAT'S LIFE .
SOME DAY I GUESS.