PDA

View Full Version : 100 year old quote.....

Dagwood
03-25-2007, 02:52 PM
The year is 1907.....but the speaker knew what he was talking about

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Still applies today...maybe even moreso.

Dags

pooltchr
03-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Very true! Good post!
Steve

eg8r
03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Still applies today...maybe even moreso. <hr /></blockquote> I agree with you, but there is probably a large group of African-Americans that might not agree. It is impossible to be in agreement with this statement, "But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here ", and still state you are African-American, Cuban-American, or whatever else-American you wanna call yourself.

The only other thing I have to say, is that in this day and age we need to clarify the first sentence a little. To heck with coming here in "good faith" even if it does mean come here legally. In today's world you need to state the word legally and call those who do not come here legally criminals.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
03-26-2007, 02:55 AM
Difficult. What about all of the native languages, "indian" "eskimo" "etc". Strange fruit indeed. madMac.

hondo
03-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Good post, Eg. Well stated.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Still applies today...maybe even moreso. <hr /></blockquote> I agree with you, but there is probably a large group of African-Americans that might not agree. It is impossible to be in agreement with this statement, "But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here ", and still state you are African-American, Cuban-American, or whatever else-American you wanna call yourself.

The only other thing I have to say, is that in this day and age we need to clarify the first sentence a little. To heck with coming here in "good faith" even if it does mean come here legally. In today's world you need to state the word legally and call those who do not come here legally criminals.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman3
03-26-2007, 08:05 AM
madmac:

Is that an Aboriginal dialect I detect? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
03-26-2007, 08:19 AM
How about Jewish Americans eg8r?
Do jews owe alliegence to the US or Israel?
It can't be both!. Right ?

Q

Gayle in MD
03-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Good post. Alarming when our immigration laws are diluted. Reagan's amnesty program was like a big invitation.

I don't think identifying one's country of origin in one's description of one's heritage, as a legal immigrant, is the same thing as being an illegal immigrant, and waving both flags in protest and demands in the streets of our country, as an illegal alien, or on behalf of illegal aliens, is the same thing, however.

It seems that the issue of illegal aliens, and legal immigrants, have been lumped together as the same status. A complete disolution of law.

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Are you acting like a fool on purpose?

eg8r

DickLeonard
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Eg8r that job is already taken, right ED.####

eg8r
03-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes, Q is filling in nicely.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> madmac: Is that an Aboriginal dialect I detect? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote> Frayed knot. Born in Germany. Polish parents. Came to Ozz when i woz 2. von Macski.