PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing cues online

dusmur
03-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm in the market for a cue, but unfortunately live in a VERY remote area (nearest billiards store: 3 1/2 hour drive). What do people think of purchasing a cue online? Is it a mistake, since you're unable to actually feel/use the cue before buying? Anybody have any experience with this??

DeadCrab
03-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Check out the guarantee from billiard warehouse, and see if it addresses your concerns:

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/try_a_cue_guarantee.htm

mantis
03-25-2007, 09:54 PM
That guarantee sounds pretty good. I would not, however, buy a cue without being able to hit it and compare it to others. If yo uahve no other choice, buy one from billiards warehouse, otherwise, make a day out of it and take the 3.5 hour drive to compare cues. What would be worse, making the drive to get a cue you will use for years, or buy a cue you May not like.

trob
03-26-2007, 04:01 AM
Depends on what I'm buying. I just bought a new break jump cue on the net from ozone billiards. It's a cuetek and to be honest they seem to feel the same. Now If I'm buying something custom I prefer to hit with it. Probobly why I play with joss. they are only like 45 mins away from me. I can go down and hit with it befor I buy it.

Billy_Bob
03-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Lately I only purchase cues online. But this is because I now know what I want exactly - weight, joint, shaft, deflection, etc.

Before I purchased online, I bought at a retail store. They did not have exactly what I wanted and they never told me I could order exactly what I wanted. So I was not happy with that experience.

But on the other hand, if you can try out different weight cues at a store, then that can be good. You can find the weight you like best. Or maybe for breaking cues, the weight which gives you the best break.

sygfrid
03-26-2007, 09:15 AM
a lot of online stores are now having try-a-cue program. I don't think this should be a problem. Just check out their terms & conditions /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigRigTom
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Unless you are having a special custom cue made or if you have a VERY specific goal in mind when buying a cue...buying online is the way to go.

There are lots of sites that will be happy to get your business and you can shop the price a lot easier that driving all over town or the country in your case.

Just choose a brand name cue and get the best one you can afford.

dusmur
03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks to all for their input. I already know what weight I like, etc. So, since I know my parameters, it sounds like I'll be safe ordering online, as long as I check out the specific sites' return/exchange policies.

ceebee
03-26-2007, 07:27 PM
While I basically agree with the post, which MANTIS has posted, I have to say there have been countless Professional Cue Makers who sell a wonderful cue, which has never been hit, but was certainly paid for up front & warranted.

A Professional Cue Maker, like John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues, bases his reputation on his works & his integrity. www.auerbachcustomcues.com (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com)

There are numerous Cue Makers, that make great Cues. The combination of wood, weight, dimensions, integrity & the DESIRE TO PLEASE, make the difference.

mantis
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I really think you should be able to hit the cue before buying, or at least be able to send it back if you do not like it. My belief is that in general all decent quality cues will give a similar result, but it is the feel of the cue that can be different.

You do not just need to know the weight, but whether you like the balance point further forward or back (which makes a big difference in feel of the cue).

You also need to know if you want a harder, softer, or medium tip. That really affects the feel of the hit, and it changes how well the tip will accept chalk.

The type of joint will also change the feel.

There are a very large number of variations that can occur that will affect the feel. The wood and build style will also affect it. I just changed playing cues, and while theu both give a similar result, the "feel" is amazingly different. Unless you can hit it and compare it with a number of other cues, yo ureally will not know what you like. The exchange programs only allow 3 returns, and how can you really compare.

If you feel you can not get to a place where you can hit multiple cues, I would direct you to a custom cue maker named William Dominiak. www.dominiakcues.com (http://www.dominiakcues.com) . His father owns "cue stock", which is a company that provides cue makers with their wood. Because he does not have to pay the middle man fee for this, his cues are a great value. I do not think you will find this quality of cue anywhere else at this price.

Good Luck. It is a tough choice, but not one to take lightly, or quickly.

Snapshot9
03-27-2007, 04:58 AM
Well, when you buy cues online, it is like a pig in a poke.
Try to minimize the risk by obtaining as much information as possible. I would not buy a production cue without, at least, hitting with one, and how it feels, even if it was not the one I am buying. (for example, a Schon is probably the only production cue I would consider, and have tried a few).

Getting feedback from other posters on a Billiards mesage board helps some, and you can find out what people like about the cue(s) and what they don't like. This helps in determing a potential purchase.

But, what a lot of new people to a Billiatds forum or a newbie to the sport DO NOT KNOW at first, is that there
are many good cuemakers out there and you can buy a custom cue from them with your specs for a VERY REASONABLE price.
For example, my friend and local cuemaker, Bob Owen of Shurtz cues, has his entry custom cue at $250.

Another friend and local cuemaker, Dennis Cash of Cash cues, has a custom made 60" cue that is only $250 with buckhorn joint, rings, Irish linen.

These are inexpensive purchases that can get you into a
good playing cue, and you can get the 'feel' of their cues for little money, then you can, maybe, upgrade to a nicer custom cue later on.

I guess I am lucky since we have 3 cuemakers in Wichita, Bob Owen, Randy Anderson, and Dennis Cash.

I played with Huebler cues for over 25 years, but nothing feels as good or hits as good as a custom made cue with the specs you want.

There are a few good low end sticks like Lucasi, but given the choice and say only being able to spend $300 max., I would go with the cuemaker's entry level custom over Lucasi
since playability is more important to me than looks or inlays. Now as you go up in price, then you have more options available to you from cuemaker's as well as far as looks and inlays.

I have only purchased 2 J&J Break/Jump cues, an extra shaft for one, a jump cue, and a case online, plus a few accessories, but they have all been good experiences, and I am pleased with the products. All I bought online were new products, not used.

Billy_Bob
03-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Also note that some internet sites are like retail stores. They just list certain cues and do not give you many options.

Others allow you to order exactly what you want. Look at the following link and scroll down to custom. (Search google.com for pool cue custom for more sites.)

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/viking/viking_f63_pool_cue.htm