PDA

View Full Version : Shaft/cue length customization

dusmur
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm 6'5", with a long arm span. How important is it to get a cue customized for my reach? I see that shaft length is often customizable...is this the factor that determines the cue's length? What does the forearm length do to the balance of the cue? Am I agonizing too much over options in my second cue? Does it make that much of a difference?

Snapshot9
03-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Since I am 5'7", I wouldn't know .... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, if you go to: Cash cues (http://www.Cashcues.com) and click on cues, the first cue listed is
a pretty good looking 60" cue for $250 that you could find
out with. 3 other of the cues listed there are 59" cues.
I know Dennis Cash, and he is a good guy (live in same town too). I would think that having one built the way you want it would be easier and better than trying to customize one
longer that you already had, considering taper, balancing, etc..

sygfrid
03-26-2007, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dusmur:</font><hr> I'm 6'5", with a long arm span. How important is it to get a cue customized for my reach? I see that shaft length is often customizable...is this the factor that determines the cue's length? What does the forearm length do to the balance of the cue? Am I agonizing too much over options in my second cue? Does it make that much of a difference? <hr /></blockquote>

The Shaft &amp; the Butt both determine the balance of the cue. Normally, if you lengthen the shaft, the butt should also be lengthened to keep the entire cue's balance.

In my case, I'm 5'10 &amp; I'm using a 59" custom cue. Both the shaft &amp; the butt are 1/2" longer than my other cues of the std 58"

I suggest you go customs. You'll never go wrong with customs so long as you're gonna get it from a reputable maker. They will surely know keep your cue balanced unlike getting an after-market shaft which does not have the balance profile fit for the your cue's butt

canadan
03-27-2007, 11:40 AM
just remember youll need a case to fit the longer cue most cases fit up to 30" shafts

billiardshot
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm 5'6" and prefer a 55" cue. This give me the comfort and feel I like. Since I shoot with a Dieckman which are natural balance. But I do also have a 59",58"and 47" Dieckmans'. In my collection are also 58" Tim Scrugg, 58" Schon, 58" Hurricane, and a 56"Todd Elkins Butterfly[Parrot Cue].

mr_griff
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I am also 6'5" and have been toying with the idea of a longer cue. There's a place in Gresham Oregon called Billiards and Bagels that has a lot of custom cues. I'm not sure if I trust the owner that much (he comes off like a used car salesman) because he really pushes his custom cues over the name brands, undoubtedly due to his higher profit margins. However he is very knowledgable and he seemed convinced I need a 62" cue. He carried some Schmelke's cues that were longer. I tried one but I couldnt get the feel for it, maybe the taper, weight, or balance had more to do with that than the length. He said that I just didnt give it enough time.

I think it probably has to do with your form. I usually have my head pretty far forward (close to my bridge hand) and my left elbow is bent so my bridge hand is closer in. I havent read up on posture too much and dont know if this is some critical flaw or not. I cant say a longer cue, that allows me to lock my elbow (straight left arm) put my chin down on the cue and still have may grip hand directly below my elbow, wouldnt help but it would require some pretty big changes in my stroke.

Schmelke carries a 60" cue, but I think some of the other lengths are a custom affair. If you do go to a longer cue, let me know how you like it and if your game improves.

dusmur
04-06-2007, 09:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mr_griff:</font><hr> If you do go to a longer cue, let me know how you like it and if your game improves. <hr /></blockquote>

I've just purchased a 62" cue. I should receive it in about two weeks. I'll let you know what I think of it!