PDA

View Full Version : pinky or no pinky?

trob
03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Just trying to get an idea of the more experienced players opinions on the pinking touching or not touching in your grip. I've been playing this game for a good 20 years. Early in my playing days I had my pinky touching but for I changed that about 5 years ago. loosened my grip a bit. Now that I'm hitting on the bigger tables again I'm finding that the loose grip my get me more spin. But that snap of the wrist it brings takes from my accuracy. Have any of you guys experimented with this? I just feel the full grip is much more acurate..although it does feel like it impeades your stroke a bit. I'm decided to permanitly go back to it and spent quite a few hours in the last couple days getting it to be 2nd nature.

dusmur
03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Well, I am most definitely not a "more experienced" player, but I've recently discovered that I tend to be more accurate and smooth with my shots when I don't use my pinky, i.e. a looser grip. I've got no real theories to back this up, unfortunately. Next time I head down to the pool hall, I'll give it some thought.

Deeman3
03-27-2007, 07:08 AM
I don't think it matters but, then again, I miss balls on occasion...

scaramouche
03-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Ronnie Alcano shoots with both the pinky and the ring finger pointing down. He seems to do ok /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sygfrid
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
so long as you're cradling the cue & not "gripping" it, it doesn't really matter.

For most people, it is easier to loosen the fingers, and the grip for that matter, if the pinky & the ring fringers are away from the cue. You can also achieve a loosen stroke with all your fingers touching the cue by just keeping your fingers relaxed & remember that you're "cradling" the cue