PDA

View Full Version : How important is shaft diameter?

dusmur
03-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Is shaft diameter just dependent upon your bridge style? How critical is it?

Brian in VA
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
It makes a difference in the way the cue hits, how much spin it imparts to the ball, the amount of squirt, too.

That said, shaft diameter is a personal choice. Mine is 12.25 mm.

Brian in VA

Billy_Bob
03-27-2007, 10:21 AM
In my case I prefer a dime shaped tip and I want to keep it dime shaped. If I use a smaller shaft (like 11 mm), the dime shape does not hold up very long since there is not as much tip material there.

So I want a larger shaft...

But *also* when using a dime shape, as you approach 13 mm, the edges of the tip come down almost to the ferrule. And I would not be able to reshape my tip very many times before I would need to replace it.

So for me, 12.5 or 12.75 is the optimum shaft size when using a dime shaped tip. It is as large as possible, yet allows for many tip reshapings.

(I use a hard tip and this also helps to maintain the dime shape longer.)

Ralph S.
03-28-2007, 01:59 AM
As it varies from layer to player, shaft diameter can be or not be of importance. To me it is important due to the large amount of arthritis in my hands. I prefer a shaft around 12.75mm or just slightly smaller. This makes it easier for me in certain bridging situations as I dont have the hand strength I had years ago.

MrLucky
03-28-2007, 05:45 AM
I use a dime shape on a 12.75 mm shaft with my I-2 and also on my Jacoby (my primary shooting Cues) they have MKoori Mediums installed and I have no problems with them holding shape the Jacoby tip was installed last august and has been shaped just once since ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Billy Bob I think with your dime tip shape your never allowing the tip to last long. Your weaking the sides of the tip. I never reshape the tip after I put it on unless it turns out to be a soft tip.####