PDA

View Full Version : Would you say that to his face?

Tommy_Davidson
07-23-2002, 01:47 AM
> To all the people that have trashed Earl Strickland on this board,I have a simple question. Would any of you,given the opportunity,say any of these things to his face? If I had the same opinions that most people here do,I sure as hell would. I don't,however. The next time I see him,I'll congratulate him on his 6th WORLD TITLE,and agree that if that doesn't get the attention of the BCA,nothing will. Tommy D.

Cueless Joey
07-23-2002, 02:03 AM
So you're advising his haters to CONFRONT him?
Should I go to OJ and call him a murderer in his face?
Should I confront John Rocker too?
Last time I saw Earl play was against Mika in L.A. It was rack your own tourney. He whined like a boy b/c Mika was beating him badly. Scotty went and racked for Mika. Earl kept whining. The people hated him.
6 world titles and still acts like a 6th grader.

07-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Well, much as _I_ prefer to post anonymously, and I can tell you, too, that _I_ wouldn't be the one to confront him, I can say without a moment's hesitation that several of the posters who I do know are very clear in what they think of him, and why they think it, and while many of these same people would not be the type of people to heckle or deliberately rile him, they sure as hell wouldn't hold back their opinions if prompted just because little old Earl might pout a bit.

Personally, I think Earl is a great player, and surely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, but it's more than obvious that his antics are, on occasion, both irrational, uncalled for, confrontational, and bad for the game.

Just exactly what kind of a person says to another player "Be a man" (rather than hit a jump shot) as I heard he did in Cardiff? That kind of antic is what you expect from the unwashed hustlers that sleep on the stools in Chelsea Billiards (sadly missed), not a player in a World Championship. If you heckle your opponent in a tournament, you should forfeit the game, if not the match.

Is a jump shot in the rules? Yes, then respect the rules. Earl doesn't respect the rules, doesn't respect his opponents, and sure gives a good impression that he doesn't respect anything except himself, far less the game.

Of course, he might just be misunderstood.

07-23-2002, 06:13 PM
what 6 titles ithought it was 3?

Nostroke
07-23-2002, 06:53 PM
In defense of Earl on the specific comment, I was there and neither I nor any of the people i was with heard Earl say "Be a man". What he did say AFTER Takahashi put away the jump cue was "So you decided to play like a man huh?" or something extremely close to that.

He did intimidate Takahashi prior to that by making gestures to the crowd that Tak should use his playing cue to jump and one other anti jump-cue gesture to the crowd afer a Takahashi safe. Earl was a bit out of line but Takahashi should never have fell for it. During this match Earl would periodically glare at the crowd, his eyes darting around in search of an "offender" and overall he did not present a good image.

Bustamante's first shot after the break in their match was a push-out to a jump shot just to aggravate Earl and show him that he wouldnt be intimidated. Takahshi let his ego get the best of him.

Barbara
07-23-2002, 07:07 PM
I would say, "Congratulations."

I stay out of a lot of personality/name-calling threads because I have been on the negative side of a few. Not as a World Champion (LOL), but in my area of the world, never-the-less.

Okay, I still have my opinion, but until I have really seen the other side of the coin, I just don't voice.

Like I said, I used to love to watch the bad boys of Tennis. They were good AND entertaining!!

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
07-23-2002, 09:53 PM
I will be seeing Earl in Va. in September. I have all the intentions of congratulating {sp} him on his victory. I also will state to his face; "I love pool, I dont care about the crowds hating you or you lashing back at them. All I care about is watching the best in the world and you Earl Strickland are it". Then Kato will take a photo of the Earl and I for my wall at home. I might even let Kato send that very picture to SPetty so she can show it to the world. I'm not put on the earth to judge people...that takes way too much time out of life. Anyone that knows me {a few on CCB} knows I kiss no man's ass...its how I truly feel! How do you like me now?

07-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Obviously, you've never met me face to face. Yes, I would, given the proper situation, tell Mr. Strickland that being a great player (and he is truly great) does not give him license to act like an a$$hole. What I would not do, however, is to tell him that in the middle of a match, or in front of others with the intention of publicly ridiculing him.

07-24-2002, 11:52 AM
Howdy,
The 6 titles that he won were in both WPA and the PBT Tour Championships. Archer won World titles from both organizations as well.

Lester
07-24-2002, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I will be seeing Earl in Va. in September. I have all the intentions of congratulating {sp} him on his victory. I also will state to his face; "I love pool, I dont care about the crowds hating you or you lashing back at them. All I care about is watching the best in the world and you Earl Strickland are it". Then Kato will take a photo of the Earl and I for my wall at home. I might even let Kato send that very picture to SPetty so she can show it to the world. I'm not put on the earth to judge people...that takes way too much time out of life. Anyone that knows me {a few on CCB} knows I kiss no man's ass...its how I truly feel! How do you like me now? <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Well said Steve! My sentiments exactly. ***Lester***

07-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Tommy, I have not been among the "earl bashers" on the board as of late, but I've previously commented that I have little or no respect for him as a person or as a professional or as a sportsman. I respect his acumen and skill with the cue, but I think he's a horrible representation for pool.

And yes, I would tell him so given the opportunity.

07-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Tommy the chances of me meeting Earl are slim. But given the fact that i'm bigger than him, i certainly wouldn't hold back given the opportunity ;-)