PDA

View Full Version : 33 YEARS AGO

SpiderMan
03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
33 years ago, Chopstick convinced me it would be fun to learn to play pool.

We've both improved quite a bit since then, but it amazes me that after all these years we're still so competitive.

Always had a lot of miles between us, but not many years went by that we didn't manage to meet up in a poolroom somewhere and try to beat one another's brains out. Sometime's he'd have the upper hand, so I'd be inspired to start playing more, other times it was the opposite.

One thing never changed - we always became more handsome with the passage of time /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick 1974 (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=/55f4re2&.dnm=a5b5re2.jpg&.src=ph)
SpiderMan 1974 (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=/55f4re2&.dnm=df97re2.jpg&.src=ph)

Chopstick Today (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=55f4re2&.dnm=dc22re2.jpg&.src=ph)
SpiderMan Today (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=55f4re2&.dnm=d4b8re2.jpg&.src=ph)

Respect your lifelong friends - it's too late to get more.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
03-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Spiderman,

That is my blue Kawasaki 750 Two stroke, three cylinder monster, bought at Southhaven Cycle City in Jan. 1972. It was the fastest production motorcycle in the world when I bought it. It's mine or a reasonable facimile!!!!

Both of you looked "Groovey" in the 1970's and Charlies is wearing a shirt I made in the recent picture. Boys, Funland forever....

SpiderMan
03-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Yep, and knowing Bob, he charged you the full $1248 sticker price. Today, in prime condition, that bike would bring an easy $6,000.

If yours was like Charlie's, it also got about the same gas mileage as my 1973 Camaro (but only carried about 4 gallons)!

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Marty,
You look like Barry Manilo in the seventies picture. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan
03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>

Marty,
You look like Barry Manilo in the seventies picture. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I've always had a big nose, but maybe back then my head was smaller /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Spiderman,

That is my blue Kawasaki 750 Two stroke, three cylinder monster, bought at Southhaven Cycle City in Jan. 1972. It was the fastest production motorcycle in the world when I bought it. It's mine or a reasonable facimile!!!!

Both of you looked "Groovey" in the 1970's and Charlies is wearing a shirt I made in the recent picture. Boys, Funland forever.... <hr /></blockquote>

That's unbelievable. The same bike from the same shop, at the same time frame. It's a wonder we didn't see each other in the shop. That picture sure does bring back some memories. I bought the second one that arrived in town. The first one, the guy killed himself on it the first week he had it.

I remember the first drag race I had with it. It was on Shelby Drive at the stop light by the mall. This fellow in a green ford Torino gunned his engine at me. The bike was a new model back then and the guy didn't know what he was messin with. The light changed and I revved it up and dumped the clutch.

That thing jerked me straight out over the bike. It threw my legs back straight behind me and I was hangin on by the handle bars layin across the top of the bike. It took some effort just to pull my legs back down to the foot pegs. I turned around to look where the Torino was, his headlights were just two dots way back there.

What a beast that thing was. There wasn't a car around anywhere that could touch it. It had the weight of a Honda 350 and more HP than a Honda 750. Just flick the throttle and you get a wheelie. I had the front end come up on me once at 100 mph. That was not fun. It's a miracle I never got killed.

Chopstick
03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
In a pool hall I used to play in in Springfield, IL, there was these two old guys that were always playing each other. They would walk around the table exchanging jibs with each other the whole time. Seems like they must have been at it for about fifty years.

I thought to my self then that would be a good way to go. Two grumpy old men grousing at each other over the pool table.

"I told ya 25 years ago you wuz droppin your elbow too soon on the break. Now you're gonna git a whoppin."

Funny thing is there was a period for both of us that we had quit playing and we got each other started again.

I'm gonna have to put down these cigarettes if I am gonna live long enough to give you the proper thrashing you so richly deserve. You too Deeman.

SPetty, I am trying to talk Joe out of one of his laser gizmos to bring down there and show ya.

PettyPoint 2007 (I'm gonna get killed...I'm gonna go practice now)

Deeman3
03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Spiderman,

Both of you looked "Groovey" in the 1970's and Charlies is wearing a shirt I made in the recent picture. Boys, Funland forever.... <hr /></blockquote>

That's unbelievable. The same bike from the same shop, at the same time frame. It's a wonder we didn't see each other in the shop. That picture sure does bring back some memories. I bought the second one that arrived in town. The first one, the guy killed himself on it the first week he had it. <font color="blue"> I remember hearing about that guy as well but I think I bought about the 10th bike they sold. What a rush? They actually came out with the 900 4 stroke that was slower but listed it faster in the quarter mile so that they could sell the KZ900. it was hard to say a smaller cheaper bike could kick it's butt! </font color>

I remember the first drag race I had with it. It was on Shelby Drive at the stop light by the mall. <font color="blue">I have raced many a car at that same intersection, they never had a prayer.... </font color> This fellow in a green ford Torino gunned his engine at me. The bike was a new model back then and the guy didn't know what he was messin with. The light changed and I revved it up and dumped the clutch.

That thing jerked me straight out over the bike. It threw my legs back straight behind me and I was hangin on by the handle bars layin across the top of the bike. It took some effort just to pull my legs back down to the foot pegs. I turned around to look where the Torino was, his headlights were just two dots way back there. <font color="blue"> I bent the handlebars at Lakeland racing it! It was that "Bad" on accelleration. Power wheelies were unheard of on stock bikes in that era. </font color>

What a beast that thing was. There wasn't a car around anywhere that could touch it. It had the weight of a Honda 350 and more HP than a Honda 750. Just flick the throttle and you get a wheelie. I had the front end come up on me once at 100 mph. That was not fun. It's a miracle I never got killed. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I do not know why I am still alive. That was the second motorcycle I owned and had absolutely no business owning one! Rear tires were about $24 and I considered that outragous but still changed the rear one about every month. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

God must protect Southern boys, fools and democrats...
..and I was two out of three...</font color>

Eric.
03-29-2007, 10:50 AM
D@mn, Spidey, you've only aged, like 10 years since then?!

Glad you got rid of the Sgt. Peppers look, tho /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

SPetty
03-29-2007, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> SPetty, I am trying to talk Joe out of one of his laser gizmos to bring down there and show ya.<hr /></blockquote>That would be too cool. Is he selling those things yet?

Chopstick
03-29-2007, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> SPetty, I am trying to talk Joe out of one of his laser gizmos to bring down there and show ya.<hr /></blockquote>That would be too cool. Is he selling those things yet? <hr /></blockquote>

No, not yet. He hasn't ironed out the deal with a manufacturer yet. He is meeting with some guys this week. We will know pretty soon when the on sale date will be. I am on the waiting list.

Chopstick
03-29-2007, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> D@mn, Spidey, you've only aged, like 10 years since then?!

Glad you got rid of the Sgt. Peppers look, tho /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

I know. Can you believe it. The guy lives on canned beans and coke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
When i look at a photo of myself 33 yrs ago....i look exactly the same now as I did then....the only thing that has changed over the years is my eyesight.....

cushioncrawler
03-29-2007, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> When i look at a photo of myself 33 yrs ago....i look exactly the same now as I did then....the only thing that has changed over the years is my eyesight..... <hr /></blockquote>Woolfy -- I think u showed me a photo of u at the drive-in allso -- but werent u with your sister. madMac.

SpiderMan
03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> D@mn, Spidey, you've only aged, like 10 years since then?!

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

I know. Can you believe it. The guy lives on canned beans and coke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Gimme a break now ... I LIKE beans, but I can't live without a couple or three "super big gulps" a day. Besides, Eric knows better - he went with us to the Rio buffet /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

wolfdancer
03-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Mac,................that was your sister!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cushioncrawler
03-30-2007, 03:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Mac,................that was your sister!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote> I mentioned this to Barbara. She remembers that night very well. Barbara never married, and she has looked after her twin kids for 32 years now, with no help or support. I gave her your email address, and i am sure that she will send u photos of Ermie and Dulcie. They are great kids (a bit old but), and just karnt wait to meet their dad. madMac.

Eric.
03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Besides, Eric knows better - he went with us to the Rio buffet /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Boy, do I ever! I think you single handedly performed "genocide" on the Alaskan king crab population /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric &gt;do it again, this year?

Chopstick
03-30-2007, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Besides, Eric knows better - he went with us to the Rio buffet /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boy, do I ever! I think you single handedly performed "genocide" on the Alaskan king crab population /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric &gt;do it again, this year? <hr /></blockquote>

That was fun. When is it this year? We should go again.

I know a guy who can probably take SpiderMan in a eatin' contest. Grady Matthews. He can really put it away and he's fast. When he went to dinner with me and SPetty he was done before we even got started good.

I think the most upset I have ever seen Spiderman is when he lost his special Big Gulp cup. He had been carrying the same one for five years. He even brought it with him in his suitcase when he came to Orlando. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
03-30-2007, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>I know a guy who can probably take SpiderMan in a eatin' contest. Grady Matthews. He can really put it away and he's fast. When he went to dinner with me and SPetty he was done before we even got started good.<hr /></blockquote>Well, I've seen Grady Matthews eat fast and I've seen Spidey eat at the seafood buffet at the Rio. I'd have to give the speed edge to Grady (for normal non-crab-leg food) - but I can't see Grady eating as much at one sitting as Spidey does. Grady could come a lot closer than I could, though.

Count me in for the Rio - I'd like to not go Tuesday night, though, because I won a free ticket to the BCA Hall of Fame ceremony thing being held that night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope my luck holds out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
03-30-2007, 01:53 PM
The BCA this is May 11 thru the 19th.

I'll be there from May 11 to the 15th.

Anyone for Monday 5/14 at the Rio buffet?

Eric

SpiderMan
03-30-2007, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>I know a guy who can probably take SpiderMan in a eatin' contest. Grady Matthews. He can really put it away and he's fast. When he went to dinner with me and SPetty he was done before we even got started good.<hr /></blockquote>Well, I've seen Grady Matthews eat fast and I've seen Spidey eat at the seafood buffet at the Rio. I'd have to give the speed edge to Grady (for normal non-crab-leg food) - but I can't see Grady eating as much at one sitting as Spidey does. Grady could come a lot closer than I could, though.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey, you've never seen me TRY to eat fast. 15 years ago I won a watermelon speed-eating contest down in Houston, with my hands behind my back. I weighed about 100 lbs less than the guy that took second.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I'll be there for the whole tournament. My girlfriend will be there part of the time. She doesn't eat much, but she does like crab legs.

I bought her two boxes of very special candy for Valentine's day, and she won't eat it.

SpiderMan

SPetty
03-30-2007, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Hey, you've never seen me TRY to eat fast.<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, you're probably right, but the glory of Grady is that he wasn't trying to eat fast!

Eric.
03-30-2007, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>I know a guy who can probably take SpiderMan in a eatin' contest. Grady Matthews. He can really put it away and he's fast. When he went to dinner with me and SPetty he was done before we even got started good.<hr /></blockquote>Well, I've seen Grady Matthews eat fast and I've seen Spidey eat at the seafood buffet at the Rio. I'd have to give the speed edge to Grady (for normal non-crab-leg food) - but I can't see Grady eating as much at one sitting as Spidey does. Grady could come a lot closer than I could, though.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey, you've never seen me TRY to eat fast. 15 years ago I won a watermelon speed-eating contest down in Houston, with my hands behind my back. I weighed about 100 lbs less than the guy that took second.

Ummm, wieght has aboslutely nothing to do with it. Ever watch the kid from Japan eat hotdogs? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric

Eric.
03-30-2007, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I'll be there for the whole tournament. My girlfriend will be there part of the time. She doesn't eat much, but she does like crab legs.

I should be able to fit you, SPetty and Chopstick in my car.

Eric &gt;Mmmmm, Crablegs

fatrascal
03-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, the thing about that 'Kawi' was the power band. It didn't come on until about 5 grand, but from there to 11 is just 'hang on'. Nothing could keep up with it at the time.

SPetty
03-30-2007, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Anyone for Monday 5/14 at the Rio buffet?<hr /></blockquote>Sounds perfect. No Suzie?

Eric.
03-30-2007, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Anyone for Monday 5/14 at the Rio buffet?<hr /></blockquote>Sounds perfect. No Suzie? <hr /></blockquote>

Susie's coming. We should bring this up again in 5 weeks...

Eric &gt;viva Lost Wages