PDA

View Full Version : New Policy for WPBA?

jjinfla
03-28-2007, 10:03 AM
I heard that the WPBA is no longer going to publish how much their players win in a tournament.

I thought it was nonsense but then I can't find any payouts listed for the Great Lakes Classic.

How much did Pan win? $10,000 or $14,000.

Or maybe the reason they are not listing the payouts is because the payouts will be a lot less than in previous years?

Jake

HarryDC
04-02-2007, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I heard that the WPBA is no longer going to publish how much their players win in a tournament.

I thought it was nonsense but then I can't find any payouts listed for the Great Lakes Classic.

How much did Pan win? $10,000 or $14,000.

Or maybe the reason they are not listing the payouts is because the payouts will be a lot less than in previous years?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

Pool lives in almost complete anonymity among the average citizen of the world, so why not keep it that way? If that is what pool wants so be it. It has almost nothing going for it to begin with, so with no scores or payouts, how do they expect anyone to pay any attention?

I find more times than not that being associated with pool and or billiards, as it sometime called, is more of an embracement than something to be proud of. Well, opening day here, itís off to baseball for me.

HarryDC

Gayle in MD
04-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Harry,
Unfortunately I think your observations are right on target. Seems to be even worse for a woman's reputation, than a man's. Some of my elderly aunts are still outraged knowing that I shoot pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I often wonder if they wouldn't be more forgiving if I were running a high class call girl operation for the D.C. politicians since they're all name droppers! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JK... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

jjinfla
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
That's funny Gayle. Think CCB would allow a link to your new "profession" in your signature.

But as strange as people might think your idea is I do know a person who is in the process of opening up a pool room in Gainsville and he has been approached by the powers to be to make it a strip club.

First thing I asked him when I was there last week while they were working on the place was to ask him where the dance floor will be.

So far he wants pool, Diamond tables and the college crowd.

By the time I left he was thinking about where that dance floor will be saying he will try and make it as a pool hall.
But you never know what the future holds.

Harry, as far as the WPBA not posting money that is won I suppose it is a moot point since nobody seems to care. Nobody responded to it anyway. I just wonder if they don't care how much the women win or just don't care about the women playing pool.

Cubs at Reds today. Cubs are spending big this year. Salary around 500 million. Trying to buy a penant ala New York.

Basketball tonight. 500 million to be earned there. That is what is expected to be sold by the merchants selling whatever they have to sell. Cheap seats, if you can get them, go for $200.

Jake

Gayle in MD
04-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Maybe the gals already here and on the WPBA tour would like their winnings kept quiet, to dampen the European/Asian invasion /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif...JK

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nostroke
04-02-2007, 02:45 PM
More likely if true, the earniings are an embarrassment to them. All the hoopla, excitement and gushing they do and they have to announce that first prize is $12k. Also It turns off new fans who either cant believe they are really watching the "best of the best" if that is what the prize is or if so "who gives a sh##-cant be much of a tournament".

wolfdancer
04-02-2007, 05:42 PM
"You do what!!, for money"?
C, mon...them "trouble in River City" days are long past, ain't they?
Besides, have they seen what a pol will do for money?

wolfdancer
04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
There is a strip club in Portland, with pool tables. One needs to have strong focus to avoid being distracted while playing.
Sudden thought though.....adding this feature to pro tournaments could make pool into a major TV viewing sport.

Gayle in MD
04-03-2007, 08:09 AM
No doubt. I don't suppose pro women could make it financially if not for teaching, and appearances. I'd just be happy if women in general recieved equal pay for equal work, talent, athletics, whatever. I would suppose that those at the forefront of the pool and billiards industry, in general, have missed the boat on how to acquire advertising money from higher paying sponsors, like beer, and coke, etc., for example, and I've never figured that out. If one considers how many bars in this country, also have pool tables, and sell liquor, it's a bit of a mystery to me. One would think that pool, liquor, food and gambling would be base enough for return rewards. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
[ QUOTE ]
them "trouble in River City" days are long past, ain't they?
<hr /></blockquote>

That's what I keep telling my aunts!

[ QUOTE ]
"You do what!!, for money"?
<hr /></blockquote>

Honey, at my age, I'd have to give a rebate! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

jjinfla
04-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Gayle, the way I see pool there are two professional tours right now. The first is the woman's WPBA and the other is the Men's Florida Pro Tour and that is not really restricted to just men.

Anyway, as far as equal pay for equal work the WPBA pays out about three times as much as the FPT does for each stop.

Why no beer and cigarette sponsors? Remember the Camel and Busch tours? Before my time but I have heard stories that the promotors sold out the sponsors and ran off with the money.

Jake

Gayle in MD
04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, as far as equal pay for equal work the WPBA pays out about three times as much as the FPT does for each stop.
<hr /></blockquote>
No kidding? Seems like everytime I watch the men's tournaments, their walking off with $50,000.00 I've never seen that kind of pay out for the women. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Remember the Camel and Busch tours? Before my time but I have heard stories that the promotors sold out the sponsors and ran off with the money.
<hr /></blockquote>

No, I've only been shooting for about eight or nine years, so I am not aware of beer sponsors for billiards, nowever, I'd be interested in knowing just whom those promoters were. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
04-03-2007, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote>
No kidding? Seems like everytime I watch the men's tournaments, their walking off with $50,000.00 I've never seen that kind of pay out for the women. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Remember the Camel and Busch tours? Before my time but I have heard stories that the promotors sold out the sponsors and ran off with the money.
<hr /></blockquote>

No, I've only been shooting for about eight or nine years, so I am not aware of beer sponsors for billiards, nowever, I'd be interested in knowing just whom those promoters were. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

I heard that some of them were league operators /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Of course, it could have just been another case of Texas Tall Tales.

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
04-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I must say, before I started shooting at the American Legion, I certainly had my fill of league operators. Don't know if it was just an isolated experience, but they were, to a man, seriously lacking integrity.

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I must say, before I started shooting at the American Legion, I certainly had my fill of league operators. Don't know if it was just an isolated experience, but they were, to a man, seriously lacking integrity.

Gayle in Md.
<hr /></blockquote>
If you make it to PettyPoint, I'll tell you a story or two /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

CarolNYC
04-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Hey Woman,
Whats going on? Man, after the Superbilliards, I was hit with a flu and lived on Nyquil for a few days,but,all better now /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
[ QUOTE ]
those at the forefront of the pool and billiards industry, in general, have missed the boat on how to acquire advertising money from higher paying sponsors, like beer, and coke, etc <hr /></blockquote>
This is interesting-I was talking to someone about this,because, you know my burn center charity? Well,the banners that I sell to local merchants,restaurants,etc. are sponsored by Budweiser-they make ALL the banners for me (last year I sold 53)-and these arent cheap banners,either-I have pictures,but dont know how to put them on here-pm me your email and I'll send you one to take a look at /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyways, it had to do with the IMAGE of liqour/beer to the pool image-like, to stay away from that image.ya know what I mean?
Now, I personally watch Tennis-are there any pro sports like, tennis,golf that ARE sponsored by liqour/beer?
I was just wondering......hmmmmm.

By the way, Im headed up to the Burn camp this summer for the week,like I mentioned /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anxious for the firehose fight with the kids,ha ha ha!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brian in VA
04-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Hi Carol!

Here in VA next month the LPGA tour stop, referred to as the "5th major" by many in the press, is the Michelob Ultra Championship. Michelob is also a sponsor of several players on the men's tour, Sergio Garcia being one of the most visible. Crown Royal sponsors the VA State Open golf championship. On The Golf Channel, Grey Goose Vodka sponsors a 30 minute talk show called the 19th hole.

Seems to me that golf has embraced beer and liquor sponsors. Perhaps that's because all of those events are not for profit and help charitable causes at every tour stop and it gives the sponsor a charitable deduction.

Stay well kiddo!

Brian in VA

Gayle in MD
04-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi kiddo,
Well, I'm glad you're better now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't watch any sports other than pool, football, and a little golf and ice skating, so I'm not a good one to ask, about tennis advertisers, but, strictly from a marketing perspective, I think the policy you mention, ie. Pool being sponsored by alcohol, is a silly decision. If you want to build up any sport, the money win is the best way to do so. That's what pulls in interest, how much the pay outs will be. Like it or not, most of the pool played in this country, is played in bars, where alcohol is sold, which makes the sport very attractive to the alcohol industry.

As for hurting the image of pool, I think the rewards, would far outweigh any damage. Take baseball, for example, that all American Sport, and Football,... alcohol commercials and sponsors sure haven't done any harm there. WPBA, IMO, has never had a lot going for it in the marketing department. JMO, of course. Even the regional qualifiers, could do a much better job of marketing, locally, from what little exposure I have had, that became quite obvious, to me atleast, very quickly. But then, I'm a marketing nut! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey, I forgot where that burn camp is located, but you go girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My hat goes off to you Carol. A very worthy cause. I see lots of folks in the same condition, and it is something that I don't think most folks could fully appreciate, unless it is seen first hand.

I'll pm you my e-mail, again,

Love to Jimmy, and the girls, and you keep on keepin' on!

Take care now...

Gayle /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Hiya Gayle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Like it or not, most of the pool played in this country, is played in bars, where alcohol is sold, which makes the sport very attractive to the alcohol industry.
<hr /></blockquote>

I agree-I was a bar player myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifand lots of tournaments are played on so-called "bar-box" tables-
I don't know................oh well!
I emailed ya,Lady! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have a nice Easter!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Hi Brian,
How are you /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
[ QUOTE ]
Seems to me that golf has embraced beer and liquor sponsors. Perhaps that's because all of those events are not for profit and help charitable causes at every tour stop and it gives the sponsor a charitable deduction.
<hr /></blockquote>
Hmm, now thats interesting-
I believe many pool events hold charity events alongside also-???????
Once again, I wish I knew the reason a corporate sponsorship from a beer/liqour company isnt feasible-we have the connections /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
and isnt there a "Jack Daniels "pool shootout or something like that???-
Brian, ALWAYS a pleasure-you stay well and have a wonderful,wonderful Easter!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Hiya Jake,
To be honest with you, I didnt even know they published it,ha ha ah-
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>
I can definitely say that this is NOT the case /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Take care!
Carol~oh,have a nice Easter /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjinfla
04-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Carol,

They used to list the payouts right on the brackets that the WPBA posts.

Of course the WPBA can go to the system that the men use and just pay out to the top 1/4 or 24.

First place would then be 40K to 50K and the rest of the money would be split among the next 23. It would really be a cat fight for first place. LOL

Or maybe they should pay out only the top 32.

Of course if they did do it that way would they still have as many women competing? Right now the women know that if they win one match they win money. Would they still come if they had to win two or three matches to get in the money?

I am sure the up and coming women who are really good would.

Jake

Gayle in MD
04-05-2007, 07:40 AM
You do the same kiddo.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Love,
Gayle

DickLeonard
04-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Brian tell me where you can get 1200 to 1500 volunteers working 100+hours a week for nearly a month putting on a Golf Tourney. All you have to do is align the Tourney with a Charity and you have pro Golf. The only way pro golf works is the 60,000 volunteer hours needed to run a successful tourney.

Pool has never understood what makes pro golf tick. If we were a Geico Ape we wouldn't be offended by their ads.####

CarolNYC
04-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi Jake,
Thanks for the info-ya learn something new everyday /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Im not sure,but, I think BEFORE it became a 64 field, you didnt even have to win a match-the "win one match" thing has made it harder /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I know I played the Vegas pro event once and went two and out and received money,but I think that was a BCA thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I just wanted to apologize for taking so long to respond-on top of minding my grandson, I am dog-sitting my daughters 45lb. -3 month old MONSTER German Shepherd PUPPY,ha ha ha-I think he's a mutant-he's gonna be huge,so my house is a war-zone-

Have a very nice Easter!
Carol~thanks God for the strength everyday /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi Dick,
Isnt that the "Geico Gecko"??????
Say that 3x fast....ha ha ha!
Take care Dick!My best to your daughter /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

Brian in VA
04-07-2007, 08:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Brian tell me where you can get 1200 to 1500 volunteers working 100+hours a week for nearly a month putting on a Golf Tourney. All you have to do is align the Tourney with a Charity and you have pro Golf. The only way pro golf works is the 60,000 volunteer hours needed to run a successful tourney.

Pool has never understood what makes pro golf tick. If we were a Geico Ape we wouldn't be offended by their ads.####
<hr /></blockquote>
That's a great question Dick! Typically, the charity that benefits is in charge of providing all the volunteers for the event. It's interesting but they never seem to be lacking enough help. I think it's because of two things, one is people helping charities and if you have a week to take off work and do this, what better place to do it. Second is about having the chance to rub elbows with the pros and their families. My limited experience in the pool world has been that everyone is trying to make a buck instead of working for a charity.

The sad thing is, I don't think you'd need that many volunteers to put on a pro pool tournament. Certainly not as many as a golf tournament. Perhaps when I've retired I'll try it. Only ten or so years to go! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best regards,
Brian in VA

mr_griff
04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> There is a strip club in Portland, with pool tables. One needs to have strong focus to avoid being distracted while playing.
Sudden thought though.....adding this feature to pro tournaments could make pool into a major TV viewing sport. <hr /></blockquote>

Which strip club is that? Sassy's?