PDA

View Full Version : Differences between pool and carom cues?

07-23-2002, 03:53 AM
What differences are there between pool and carom cues? Is there any reason not to use a carom cue when playing american pool?

Chris Cass
07-23-2002, 09:06 AM
Hi A,

I can't think of one. I've played carom pool or TicTic as the Asian population refers to it. It helped my 9ball game tremendously. Well, what you should never do is play caroms with your regular playing cue. IMO

The Billiard balls are too big and flattens out tips in a heartbeat. The ferrules mushroom if you play when your tips low also. I would have a very stiff cue for caroms. Something like the standard Brunswick house cue. Those seem to be best to play with. IMO

I see know problem, playing regular pocket billiards with a carom cue. You'll have to adjust to using side spin slightly but they are back heavy? I can see where you might just want to change cues, to a more forward balanced two piece cue. I would however suggest changing shafts, if your shooting with a European tapered shaft. JMHO I hoped this helped a little.

C.C.

TonyM
07-23-2002, 01:45 PM
You might find some in-depth answers in the archives as this question has come up before.

To summarize:

Carom cues are a bit shorter than pool cues. Pool cues are typically about 58" in length, while carom cues are more likely 55" to 56" in length.

Carom cues are often a bit lighter than pool cues. A typical pool cue weight is 19.0 ounces, while a typical carom cue is nearer 18.0 ounces.

Many carom cues are balance a bit more rearwward than a typical 9 ball cue.

Carom cues use a smaller tip and ferrule than pool cues. A carom tip is often 11.5 to 12.0 mm in diameter, while a pool tip is more likely to be 12.5 to 13.5 mm in diameter.

Carom cues use a conical shaft taper, while pool cues use a shaft taper that is much more cylindrical.

Carom cues are often far "stiffer" than typical pool cues. This is to suit the heavier and larger cueball used in carom games.

It is certainly possible to use a carom cue to play pool with. But it might appear to be a bit short, and a bit stiff than what would be considered ideal.

A good compromise might be to get a carom cue with a spare "pool" shaft that is a few inches longer, and with a pool-like taper and tip size.

Good luck!

Tony