PDA

View Full Version : 1970 custom George Balabushka cue--value?

gerryll
03-28-2007, 06:53 PM
My father was George Balabushka's lawyer in the late 60's and early 70's, and I was hanging out in a pool hall. For my birthday in 1970, my parents had him make me a custom cue. It's pristine, never used to break, still has the original tip, in the original case, but I don't have the provenance. What's it worth?

Rich R.
03-28-2007, 10:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gerryll:</font><hr> My father was George Balabushka's lawyer in the late 60's and early 70's, and I was hanging out in a pool hall. For my birthday in 1970, my parents had him make me a custom cue. It's pristine, never used to break, still has the original tip, in the original case, but I don't have the provenance. What's it worth? <hr /></blockquote>
The cue and the case together are worth about $50 tops.
Send them to me and I will send you a check. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Of course, I'm kidding. Not about sending it to me for $50, but about what it is worth.

Contact cue maker Pete Tascerella. He is considered one of the top experts on Balabushka cues. For a fee, he can certify that it is an original Balabushka, which will help with both the price and the sale.
Then contact Dick Abbott, at http://www.billiardcue.com/
He should be able to give you a value, after inspecting the cue.

Bob_Jewett
03-29-2007, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gerryll:</font><hr> My father was George Balabushka's lawyer in the late 60's and early 70's, and I was hanging out in a pool hall. For my birthday in 1970, my parents had him make me a custom cue. It's pristine, never used to break, still has the original tip, in the original case, but I don't have the provenance. What's it worth? <hr /></blockquote>
For the upper end... At a BCA trade show ten years ago or so, there was a Balabushka in its original shipping package with Balabushka's return label on it. It had never been used. It sold for $25,000.