PDA

View Full Version : Grady vs Hopkins

02-24-2002, 11:01 AM
So whats next Grady. Can you still drive that Cadillac and arrive at your destination 800 miles aways within 5 minutes or less? I am sure you can. Can you bash Hopkins for ................. I am sure you can.
With all your knowlege of planning and setting up to play and effectively defeat your opponent on the pool talble, I know you can do it from the business side. Use your knowledge/experienve and energy to make it better for the sport. You will have your day in court (so to speak) in the future. Evelyn Wanderone said to me, "fatty spent much more time making the game than he ever did playing the game". Grady, you KNOW how to set up a winner, like myself have tried and failed and learned alot. Its the way of all great players etc. not afraid to miss, take their lumps move on and be much better for it. I have a daughter that will never put her finger into a fire because I told her "Its HOT" now my other daughter wants to know for sure HOW HOT IT IS and will always have a blister to prove it. You know what not to do and what TO DO. Looking forward to your next venture. BF

Grady
02-24-2002, 12:08 PM
Thanks,BF By the way my next venture is Eight Ball, One Pocket, 14.1, Bank Pool and amateur events.As usual no invitationals and when I'm done my books are open to anybody who is interested. It's a shame that, despite my efforts to reconcile with the BCA, I will once again have no help from them with the Straight Pool portion of my tournament.If they would assist, I'd love to stage it under their umbrella and I could have a fifty or sixty thousand dollar Added affair.But apparently they want to continue to do business with Barry DuBow, who always loses money and only has a tournament every few years.I have even offered to have no after hours gambling(you might as well ask me to cut out my soul)and everything pretty much the same as their past events except: a.It's ridiculous for the players to not be able to practice on the tournament tables and b.Anything I do has to have championship size pockets-four and a half inch and c.I would never have an invitational where qualified players have to sit at home with that familiar sinking feeling in their stomachs.
I'll have ads everywhere.

Grady
02-24-2002, 12:23 PM
I forgot, BF about the prejudice that's always going to be there for good players if they don't fight back against the status quo.When I lived in Maine( two and a half years) I couldn't go play in England or in Matt Braun's travestry of an event or in Zuglan's invitational or in the last NYC Straight Pool tournament.It wasn't just me.The BCA invited one player who had never played a game of 14.1.
These min-tours really suck.Show me even one where the added dollars are real added dollars.You can't.So I intend to have my own small tour where when I say I'm adding whatever amount that's what'll be there.
We are blessed with an inordinate talent pool of young players everyone of which will be taken advantage of unless something is done.THERE JUST IS NO EXCUSE FOR INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENTS THAT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST QUALIFIED MEN AND WOMEN,PERIOD.
In fact this sort of thing makes me so angry that I intend to begin my own trade show, actually our,meaning all of us,and open events and a Retirement fund, insurance benefits and a credit union.Some small companies have done a lot within our industry but collectively it hasn't stood behind the game, the sport and the players very much. Case in point, Brunswicke who'd rather sponsor foreign amateurs and tournaments than imminently qualified Americans.Well, I'm tired of it and it's going to be a lot of fun to take this ride with me and at the same time do the right thing for a great sport.

02-24-2002, 02:58 PM
As for the 14.1 contact Tony Annagoni, he is wanting to get in touch with DuCoff at the BCA for the name rights. Tony is actively evolving the Gene Story handicapp system on a National level and I am sure both your combined talent could help all. My new room won't be much bigger than yours on Platte and Union but sometimes you have to start small to get big. I would not try to do toooooo much, stick with basics, make them work and slowly you ball per inning average will increase. Take care.
BF

02-25-2002, 09:04 AM
'But apparently they want to continue to do
business with Barry DuBow, who always loses money and only has a tournament every few years.'

I just finished reading your book, and if I am not mistaken, you state that you lost money on all but two of the tournaments that you promoted. I know that you are trying to do good for the pool community, but shouldn't you at least break even, and if you are working that hard, one would think you would like to get paid something for your time.

02-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Grady, I would love to see you start your own trade show. I agree with you about Allan the GANGSTER. In his tournament there are 800 players at $75 per player, that's 60 grand and the top prize is only 5 grand. Forget added money this man is a CROOK. GO GET EM GRADY.