PDA

View Full Version : That ain't a rule!

Chopstick
03-30-2007, 01:32 PM
I have played pool in bars and pool rooms all over the southeast for the last thirty years. It never fails that every time I play, somebody has yet another idiotic eight ball rule that they blurt out in the middle of a game.

I was playin in a bar last night(for free, not bet or anything). Stripes had a ball in each corner pocket below the rack. I was solids. On my first shot, I shot a solid into the stripe in the corner, made the stripe, and the solid followed it in. It was one of my better shots. Perfect pocket speed, perfect full contact, no lateral movement after contact, the solid took one roll forward and plopped in. It was a nice shot.

I went on with turn run and took off two more balls and come up on the second stripe blocking the other corner pocket. I had planned on doing the same thing again. I hit this one even better than I hit the first one. I walked around the table to line up and finish the rack and this guy sitting at the table says, "You got to call that, the next time you do it."

WHAT!!!

I just looked at the guy mystified like huh?!? I shook it off and finished the rack. It's always something with these people. One time I was in the final match of a money tournament, I had the guy 2 to nothing in a race to three. All I had left was the eight ball and it was frozen to the 12 ball in a perfect carom position 3 inches in front of the corner pocket. I had a clear shot at it 2 feet away. Naturally I call the 8 ball in the corner. My opponent calls out, "You can't shot that ball."

He said that because the 8 ball was already touching the 12 ball I couldn't shoot at it "cause the 8 ball's got ta go clean!". I called the tournament director AKA bar tender over for a ruling and he agreed. I explained to them that that ain't in any rule book anywhere and they just said that's how we play here. I just said ya'll just keep it then. I ain't playin by some made up rules and I started to walk out on the tournament.

The bar tender stopped me and convinced me to at least finish the tournament. OK whatever. I looked at the balls and I saw a way to get even with this creep. I slow rolled the cue ball to the bottom rail and brought the cue ball up behind the 8 ball and just barely tapped it enough to break the 12 ball off of it. Now he is behind the 8 ball and frozen to it a quarter inch from the bottom rail. I just stood back while he embarrassed himself with a ridiculously lame attempt the make a kick at his ball. I walked up shot off the 8 ball, took the money and left.

Did that make the game any better? Do any of these stupid rules make the game any better? What I object to the most is where they came from. They came from LOSERS! Some guy sitting on a bar stool about to lose a game because he can't play and he's trying to make some nit pickin rule to get another shot. That is what these rule sets represent.

For many years I have been engaged in a personal campaign to stamp out this pestilence. Everyone should at least question it by saying "That's not in any rule book. Where did you get that rule?"

Well, that's my rant. Now I'm sure everyone at Petty Point is gonna be askin me "Did you call that?"

ras314
03-30-2007, 02:20 PM
VNEA rules? Not sure about that but when it happened to me that's what the TD claimed. Or maybe an add on the VNEA rules?

Only way I've ever found to figure out bar rules is to play enough at the same place to figure 'em out. For sure just because your opponent does something it don't mean it's ok for you to do the same. Then there are the "real pool rules" and the "tournament rules" both diffenent at the same place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jayman
03-30-2007, 09:16 PM
I've never heard the one about playing off a frozen ball,Sounds like a sudden "you aint done yet" rule? But in every bar I have played in, you had to call it off any ball it would hit. clean or off, even though sometimes its jus f*ing to obviouse! its always been the rule in bar play where I've been. and god help you if you forget to anounce it!

Billy_Bob
03-31-2007, 07:32 AM
Bar rules means no rules. They are not posted. They are not in any book. No one has a copy of these "rules".

So lately when some "expert" advises me of some new bar rule I have never heard of (usually invented for the specific situation - You can't do that, etc.), I say "Show me where it says that! Where is this rule written?"

Then when they fail to back up what they are saying, I say "I have the rules. I have a BCA rule book in my car. Want me to go get it?"

That shuts them up...

Get BCA rule books here...
https://www.bcastore.com/product_info.php?products_id=118

jjinfla
03-31-2007, 07:44 AM
C'Mon Chopstick, who you trying to kid? Fess up you're just toying with the boys.

When I moved here 9 years ago that was standard in all the bars, 8 goes clean. Not only that but you had to call all the bumps, hits on all the other shots too.

It is only common courtesy that when you go to a man's home you abide by his rules of etiquette. Same holds true at a bar.

Jake

Deeman3
04-02-2007, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> C'Mon Chopstick, who you trying to kid? Fess up you're just toying with the boys.

When I moved here 9 years ago that was standard in all the bars, 8 goes clean. Not only that but you had to call all the bumps, hits on all the other shots too.

It is only common courtesy that when you go to a man's home you abide by his rules of etiquette. Same holds true at a bar.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I think the call all bumps rule is now "standard" in all places where more beer than food is consumed. However, I first ran into the "clean 8" rule here in South Alabama and Northern Florida. It's sort of funny, any added precision, banks, last pocket, etc that they add only benefits the better player in the long run. The possible exception is the not having ball in hand after a bad hit. Of course, a wise old bird can soon out flounder the locals if he just pays attention. If a C player can intensionally scratch when the customer's (excuse me, opponent's) ball is in the kitchen, an A or B player can do it even better!

I gave up trying to change these local rules, I just adapt very quickly and have made mental list of scores of them around the coutry, the benefit of too much travel playing.

Heck, as long as they use round balls, the better player, if he pays attention, should still come out on top. In a new place, make sure you ask for their "house" rules first. Note: sometimes gambling and tournament rules are different in the very same bar and with the very same people!

FatsRedux
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Here are the House Rules I put together for my local pub. Copies of the rules are posted in a small binder right next to the board where players write their name down to play.

They are basically BCA rules with some modifications for use on a coin op table. I had to ditch the "ball in hand anywhere" rule and replace it with "ball in hand behind the headstring" after the local bangers cried bloody murder. They're far better than what we had before, and everybody's gotten used to them. After some initial confusion and grumbling everyone has gotten on board with the program.

House Rules for 8 Ball

1.) Object of the game: Eight Ball is a call shot game played with a cue ball and 15 object balls, numbered 1 through 15. One player must pocket balls of the group numbered 1 through 7 (solids), while the other player has 9 through 15 (stripes). The player pocketing his entire group first, and then legally pocketing the 8 ball wins the game.

2.) Call Shot: In call shot obvious balls and pockets do not have to be indicated. It is the opponent’s right to ask which ball and pocket if he is unsure of the shot. Bank shots, combination shots, and kicks are not considered obvious and must be called. When calling a shot it is never necessary to indicate details such as the number of cushions, banks, kisses, caroms etc. The opening break is not a called shot and the player breaking may continue to shoot so long as any object ball is legally pocketed on the break.

3.) Challenger racks / Winner breaks: The incoming challenger puts up the quarters and racks. The player who won the previous game breaks.

4.) Racking the Balls. The balls are racked in a triangle at the foot of the table with the 8 ball in the center, the one on the foot spot, a stripe in one corner and a solid in the other.

5.) Scratch on the break: If a player scratches on the break, the table is open and the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string and may not shoot at an object ball behind the head string unless he first shoots the cue past the head string and causes the cue ball to come back and hit the object ball.

6.) Balls jumped off the table on the break: If a player jumps any ball off the table on the break it is considered a foul and the incoming player has the choice of: a.) accepting the table in position as is, or: b.) taking the cue ball in hand behind the head string.

7.) 8 Ball on the break: If the 8 ball is pocketed on the break it is an automatic win for the breaker.

8.) Open Table: (Defined) The table is “open” when the choice of groups (stripes or solids) has yet to be determined. When the table is open, it is legal to hit any solid or stripe first in the process of pocketing the called ball. However, on an open table it is a foul to contact the 8 ball first and no pocketed ball will be scored in favor of the shooter. The shooter loses his turn; the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string and the table is still “open”.

9.) Choice of Group: The choice of stripes or solids is not determined on the break, even if balls are made from only one or both groups. The choice of group is determined only when a player legally pockets a called object ball after the break.

10.) Legal Shot: (Defined) On all shots (except the break, and when the table is open, the shooter must hit one of his group of balls first and: a.) pocket a numbered ball, or: b.) cause the cue ball or any numbered ball to contact a rail. It is permissible for the shooter to bank the cue ball off a rail before contacting the object ball. Failure to meet these requirements is a foul.

11.) Safety Shots: For tactical reasons a player may choose to execute a legal shot and also give up his turn at the table. If the shooter intends to pocket one of his balls in the execution of a safety he must make his opponent aware of his intention. If this is not done and one of the shooter’s object balls is pocketed, the shooter will be required to shoot again.

12.) Scoring: A player is entitled to continue shooting until failing to legally pocket a ball of his group. After legally pocketing his entire group of balls, he shoots to pocket the 8 ball.

13.) Foul Penalty: Opposing player gets cue ball in hand behind the head string. . If all of the incoming player’s object balls are behind the line he can request that one of his object balls be spotted (placed on the foot spot).

14.) Combination Shots: Combination shots are allowed; however the 8 ball can’t be used as the first ball in the combination unless it is the shooter’s last remaining ball. Otherwise, should such contact occur on the 8 ball, it is a foul.

15.) Balls jumped off the table: If the cue ball or any object ball is jumped off the table it is a foul and loss of turn, unless it is the 8 ball which is loss of game. Jumped object balls are not re-spotted.

16.) Cue Ball Fouls Only: it is not a foul to accidentally touch stationary balls located between the cue ball and the shooter while in the act of shooting. If such an accident occurs, the player should inform his opponent who may then request that the ball be placed back where it was originally, or opt to leave it as it is.

17.) Jump and Masse’ Shot Foul: While cue ball fouls only is the rule of play, players should be aware that it will be considered a cue ball foul if during an attempt to execute a jump, curve, or masse’ shot over or around an impeding ball that is not a legal object ball, the impeding ball moves (regardless of whether it was moved by a hand, cue stick, or bridge).

18.) Illegal Jumping of Ball: It is a foul if a player strikes the cue ball below center ("digs under" it) and intentionally causes it to rise off the bed of the table in an effort to clear an obstructing ball.

19.) Playing the 8 Ball: When the 8 ball is the legal object ball, a scratch or foul is not loss of game if the 8 ball is not pocketed or is not jumped off the table. The shooter gives up his turn at the table and the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string.

20.) Loss of Game:
A player loses the game if he, or she:
a.) Fouls when pocketing the 8 ball.
b.) Pockets the 8 ball on the same stroke as the last of his group.
c.) Jumps the 8 ball off the table (at any time).
d.) Pockets the 8 ball in a pocket other than the one designated.
e.) Pockets the 8 ball when it is not the legal object ball.

Note: All infractions must be called before another shot is taken, or else it will be deemed that no infraction occurred.

Fats

Deeman3
04-03-2007, 03:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FatsRedux:</font><hr> Here are the House Rules I put together for my local pub. Copies of the rules are posted in a small binder right next to the board where players write their name down to play.

Fats

<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> Fats,

You are making a large leap of faith that most people who frequent bars in Southern Alabama are literate.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

However, those are reasonable rules so they would not have a chance of being adopted here. One place I play does not allow jump shots...because of danger?, because of breaking glass or tearing cloth? Nope. The owner and his son can't legally make a ball jump, so you gotta be careful when you jack up, even if you only want a nip draw!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

SpiderMan
04-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Looks like a bastardization of BCA and "straight 8" rules. Didn't see anything not found in one or the other.

Basically BCA rules but 8 on break wins and ball-in-hand must be taken behind the headstring, with option to spot a ball if all are in the kitchen. You note that the shooter can request one ball be spotted, but you don't say who decides which ball. Could be quite important, strategically.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FatsRedux:</font><hr> Here are the House Rules I put together for my local pub. Copies of the rules are posted in a small binder right next to the board where players write their name down to play.

They are basically BCA rules with some modifications for use on a coin op table. I had to ditch the "ball in hand anywhere" rule and replace it with "ball in hand behind the headstring" after the local bangers cried bloody murder. They're far better than what we had before, and everybody's gotten used to them. After some initial confusion and grumbling everyone has gotten on board with the program.

House Rules for 8 Ball

1.) Object of the game: Eight Ball is a call shot game played with a cue ball and 15 object balls, numbered 1 through 15. One player must pocket balls of the group numbered 1 through 7 (solids), while the other player has 9 through 15 (stripes). The player pocketing his entire group first, and then legally pocketing the 8 ball wins the game.

2.) Call Shot: In call shot obvious balls and pockets do not have to be indicated. It is the opponent’s right to ask which ball and pocket if he is unsure of the shot. Bank shots, combination shots, and kicks are not considered obvious and must be called. When calling a shot it is never necessary to indicate details such as the number of cushions, banks, kisses, caroms etc. The opening break is not a called shot and the player breaking may continue to shoot so long as any object ball is legally pocketed on the break.

3.) Challenger racks / Winner breaks: The incoming challenger puts up the quarters and racks. The player who won the previous game breaks.

4.) Racking the Balls. The balls are racked in a triangle at the foot of the table with the 8 ball in the center, the one on the foot spot, a stripe in one corner and a solid in the other.

5.) Scratch on the break: If a player scratches on the break, the table is open and the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string and may not shoot at an object ball behind the head string unless he first shoots the cue past the head string and causes the cue ball to come back and hit the object ball.

6.) Balls jumped off the table on the break: If a player jumps any ball off the table on the break it is considered a foul and the incoming player has the choice of: a.) accepting the table in position as is, or: b.) taking the cue ball in hand behind the head string.

7.) 8 Ball on the break: If the 8 ball is pocketed on the break it is an automatic win for the breaker.

8.) Open Table: (Defined) The table is “open” when the choice of groups (stripes or solids) has yet to be determined. When the table is open, it is legal to hit any solid or stripe first in the process of pocketing the called ball. However, on an open table it is a foul to contact the 8 ball first and no pocketed ball will be scored in favor of the shooter. The shooter loses his turn; the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string and the table is still “open”.

9.) Choice of Group: The choice of stripes or solids is not determined on the break, even if balls are made from only one or both groups. The choice of group is determined only when a player legally pockets a called object ball after the break.

10.) Legal Shot: (Defined) On all shots (except the break, and when the table is open, the shooter must hit one of his group of balls first and: a.) pocket a numbered ball, or: b.) cause the cue ball or any numbered ball to contact a rail. It is permissible for the shooter to bank the cue ball off a rail before contacting the object ball. Failure to meet these requirements is a foul.

11.) Safety Shots: For tactical reasons a player may choose to execute a legal shot and also give up his turn at the table. If the shooter intends to pocket one of his balls in the execution of a safety he must make his opponent aware of his intention. If this is not done and one of the shooter’s object balls is pocketed, the shooter will be required to shoot again.

12.) Scoring: A player is entitled to continue shooting until failing to legally pocket a ball of his group. After legally pocketing his entire group of balls, he shoots to pocket the 8 ball.

13.) Foul Penalty: Opposing player gets cue ball in hand behind the head string. . If all of the incoming player’s object balls are behind the line he can request that one of his object balls be spotted (placed on the foot spot).

14.) Combination Shots: Combination shots are allowed; however the 8 ball can’t be used as the first ball in the combination unless it is the shooter’s last remaining ball. Otherwise, should such contact occur on the 8 ball, it is a foul.

15.) Balls jumped off the table: If the cue ball or any object ball is jumped off the table it is a foul and loss of turn, unless it is the 8 ball which is loss of game. Jumped object balls are not re-spotted.

16.) Cue Ball Fouls Only: it is not a foul to accidentally touch stationary balls located between the cue ball and the shooter while in the act of shooting. If such an accident occurs, the player should inform his opponent who may then request that the ball be placed back where it was originally, or opt to leave it as it is.

17.) Jump and Masse’ Shot Foul: While cue ball fouls only is the rule of play, players should be aware that it will be considered a cue ball foul if during an attempt to execute a jump, curve, or masse’ shot over or around an impeding ball that is not a legal object ball, the impeding ball moves (regardless of whether it was moved by a hand, cue stick, or bridge).

18.) Illegal Jumping of Ball: It is a foul if a player strikes the cue ball below center ("digs under" it) and intentionally causes it to rise off the bed of the table in an effort to clear an obstructing ball.

19.) Playing the 8 Ball: When the 8 ball is the legal object ball, a scratch or foul is not loss of game if the 8 ball is not pocketed or is not jumped off the table. The shooter gives up his turn at the table and the incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string.

20.) Loss of Game:
A player loses the game if he, or she:
a.) Fouls when pocketing the 8 ball.
b.) Pockets the 8 ball on the same stroke as the last of his group.
c.) Jumps the 8 ball off the table (at any time).
d.) Pockets the 8 ball in a pocket other than the one designated.
e.) Pockets the 8 ball when it is not the legal object ball.

Note: All infractions must be called before another shot is taken, or else it will be deemed that no infraction occurred.

Fats

<hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick
04-03-2007, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Looks like a bastardization of BCA and "straight 8" rules. Didn't see anything not found in one or the other.

Basically BCA rules but 8 on break wins and ball-in-hand must be taken behind the headstring, with option to spot a ball if all are in the kitchen. You note that the shooter can request one ball be spotted, but you don't say who decides which ball. Could be quite important, strategically.

SpiderMan

<hr /></blockquote>

The rules used to state that it was the ball closest to the kitchen string instead of the players choice. The measurement point was the base of the ball not the edge in determining if a ball was in or out of the kitchen.

Chopstick
04-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Fats

<hr /></blockquote>

That's a good idea. I think I'll make up a bunch of those and pass em out to every bar in the area. If we educate the the general playing public we can put an end to this nonsense.

Maybe call it the General Rules for Bar Table Eight Ball. Make it look official somehow. Maybe people would abide by it.

SpiderMan
04-03-2007, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote FatsRedux:</font><hr> Here are the House Rules I put together for my local pub. Copies of the rules are posted in a small binder right next to the board where players write their name down to play.

Fats

<hr /></blockquote>

That's a good idea. I think I'll make up a bunch of those and pass em out to every bar in the area. If we educate the the general playing public we can put an end to this nonsense.

Maybe call it the General Rules for Bar Table Eight Ball. Make it look official somehow. Maybe people would abide by it. <hr /></blockquote>

Just print up BCA rules and pass them out instead - there's almost no difference, and when there is I'd say BCA is simpler. If the patrons would accept Fats rules, they'd accept BCA, and then we'd be one step closer to world peace and harmony. The real "trick" is getting bar bums to accept the idea of accepting a foul for not getting a rail after a hit.

Where's my pitchfork?

SpiderMan

FatsRedux
04-03-2007, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Looks like a bastardization of BCA and "straight 8" rules. Didn't see anything not found in one or the other.

SpiderMan

<hr /></blockquote>

"Bastardization" has such negative connotations. I prefer the term "modification". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The old bar rules, which are pretty much the standard bar rules around here (North Jersey) did not include any requirement to make a ball contact a rail on a legal shot. In addition they required "call all details", and the 8 ball had to go in "clean". /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The new modified rules kept the "8 on the break is a win" because the table is coin operated and no one wanted to have to put up another buck just to get the 8 ball back in order to spot it.

The incoming player decides which of his balls gets spotted if all of his remaining balls are in the kitchen.

The new rules have been well received, although in all fairness the majority of the regular players at the pub are league players (APA, TAP, and / or the local Tavern Owner's League rules) so they are used to rules other than the old bar rules.

There is a notice right next to the name board which states: "If you are not familiar with our house rules please see our rules manual. If you don't like them, don't play!" OTOH, if a couple of knuckleheads want to play by the old rules, they most certainly can--as long as both players agree ( a challenger is not bound by their previous agreement).

Oh and BTW Spidey, I heard about the lousy winter weather out your way--sounds like you could use a little global warming! Hmmm, maybe Algore (TM) could go there and spout a mess of hot air! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's nice and sunny here and the temperature is a balmy 60 degrees right now. I have all the windows open to air out my apartment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fats &lt; Thinks Spider has one of those "Dorian Gray" portraits in the attic at home cuz he hasn't aged much! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BRussell
04-03-2007, 12:55 PM
The best one I've personally seen is when someone I was playing said the rule was that, if the cue ball was on a rail, you could move it out by the diameter of a cue butt.

FatsRedux
04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FatsRedux:</font><hr>
Oh and BTW Spidey, I heard about the lousy winter weather out your way--sounds like you could use a little global warming! Hmmm, maybe Algore (TM) could go there and spout a mess of hot air! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's nice and sunny here and the temperature is a balmy 60 degrees right now. I have all the windows open to air out my apartment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

OOoooops, I'm sorry! For some reason I thought you were in Montana! Dang it all, on top of everything else I must be getting alzheimer's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fats &lt; Down to only a handful of marbles. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I see young kids doing that from time to time. Makes me think that the practice must have originated somplace like the YMCA, where there are never any tips on the sticks and hitting off-center almost guarantees a miscue.

SpiderMan

dr_dave
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote FatsRedux:</font><hr> Here are the House Rules I put together for my local pub. Copies of the rules are posted in a small binder right next to the board where players write their name down to play.

Fats

<hr /></blockquote>

Maybe call it the General Rules for Bar Table Eight Ball. Make it look official somehow. Maybe people would abide by it. <hr /></blockquote>

Just print up BCA rules and pass them out instead - there's almost no difference, and when there is I'd say BCA is simpler. If the patrons would accept Fats rules, they'd accept BCA, and then we'd be one step closer to world peace and harmony. The real "trick" is getting bar bums to accept the idea of accepting a foul for not getting a rail after a hit.

Where's my pitchfork?<hr /></blockquote>
Fats,

If you think the BCA rules are too long, here's a concise, printable version (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/resources/rules_summary.pdf).

Regards,
Dave

trob
04-03-2007, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I see young kids doing that from time to time. Makes me think that the practice must have originated somplace like the YMCA, where there are never any tips on the sticks and hitting off-center almost guarantees a miscue.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
lol that is so funny because I didn't remember doing that until you brought it up. When I was a kid playing at the Y they would play you could move the ball off the rail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BRussell
04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I see young kids doing that from time to time. Makes me think that the practice must have originated somplace like the YMCA, where there are never any tips on the sticks and hitting off-center almost guarantees a miscue.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>You're probably right. And I think it's a rule in some other games. Mini-golf, maybe?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-03-2007, 04:17 PM
When I was younger and played in bars, when someone started to spout out rules... I would just state, "Oh... it's been a long time since I played beginner rules, do they still use them here?"

yeah... usually a dumb look and anger would follow... I didn't say I was smart back then. But I did play by the rules (most of the time)

Deeman3
04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> When I was younger and played in bars, when someone started to spout out rules... I would just state, "Oh... it's been a long time since I played beginner rules, do they still use them here?"

yeah... usually a dumb look and anger would follow... I didn't say I was smart back then. But I did play by the rules (most of the time) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Tom,

Great line! I will steal it the next time I play in a new bar! Hey, I need at least one more black eye before I turn 55 next month.</font color>

Sid_Vicious
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
"before I turn 55 next month"

What day in May Dee?

Deeman3
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "before I turn 55 next month"

What day in May Dee? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> May 16, 1952...a day that will live in infamy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

I'm just thankful God has allowed me this many years. Any more are a bonus as I still have better than 20/20 and my "hindsite" is even better than that!

kd5kfl
04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
In my 34 years in bars, the following have always been true:

The loudmouth who says "You can't take that shot, mother..." is not playing, and doesn't have quarters up.

The authority cited for the rule is either "My grandpaw" or "If a member of the ( insert name of insignificant criminal gang here ) says it's a rule, it's a rule"

If you point out that grandpaw was as clueless as grandson, you get "Are you calling my grandpaw a lahr?" accompanied by a puffing of the chest and eye-bugging-out.

The made-up rule invariably holds a scholar down to the playing level of a clueless banger.

The rule inventor invariably has an opinion about people who have their own cues.

If you get in their face and say ( Baritone with a hint of menace ) "Do what you're gonna do when you don't get your way, because you ain't getting your way", they shrivel, shrink and slink.

Chopstick
04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I heard a knew one the other day. I had a three ball combo in the corner. They were lined up stripe, solid, stripe. I called it. The guy says if I shoot it I get to keep the ball I made but it would be his shot after because I had to use one of his balls to make one of mine. Where do these people come from?

I was playing over in Tampa a while back. I had a ball frozen on the rail right by the side pocket. I had another ball straight in the side. Well, nobody with any sense would pass up an opportunity to break that frozen ball loose so I called it in the side off the frozen ball. The guy says I can't do that cause it's slop. I said it ain't slop, I called it off the other ball. He says it's slop and you can't call slop.

What I used to do when people acted like that is go over to the bar and pick up a bar napkin. I would come back and put it on the table and say OK, you wanna play some real no slop pool? We put this bar napkin where the cue ball is gonna stop after every shot. If the cue ball is not touching some part of the napkin when the shot is over you don't get to shoot again. Anybody wanna play some that way? (I practice that way.) If you slop a ball you get one ball. If you slop your shape you can get three or four balls you don't deserve. Do I have to bring a lawyer along just to shoot a game?

Things like that usually draw the comment "You better watch it old man." When did I get to be old man? The first time I heard it I was playing this guy and I came to the table with a moderately complex lay of balls. The guy says(yells) what are you gonna do now OLD MAN? I told him "Just have a seat sonny and lemme show you what I was doing while you were learning how to walk."

There has to be some way to spread the word or this crap is going to go on forever.

Cornerman
04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I heard a knew one the other day. I had a three ball combo in the corner. They were lined up stripe, solid, stripe. I called it. The guy says if I shoot it I get to keep the ball I made but it would be his shot after because I had to use one of his balls to make one of mine. Where do these people come from? <hr /></blockquote>This is a standard bar rule in the Leominster/Fitchburg, MA area.

So, I'll guess they came from there (here).

Fred

SpiderMan
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I heard a knew one the other day. I had a three ball combo in the corner. They were lined up stripe, solid, stripe. I called it. The guy says if I shoot it I get to keep the ball I made but it would be his shot after because I had to use one of his balls to make one of mine. Where do these people come from?
<hr /></blockquote>

At least he warned you before you shot /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SpiderMan

ras314
04-16-2007, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I say "Show me where it says that! Where is this rule written?"

Then when they fail to back up what they are saying, I say "I have the rules. I have a BCA rule book in my car. Want me to go get it?"

That shuts them up...

<hr /></blockquote>

You must have a better, er.... , different, class of bar players than I usually run across.

Was a time when I actually liked to meet the types that said "hey you didn't call how many rattles in the pocket" or whatever. They were usually good for gas money at least, that is if they could get some fool to back them.

On a more serious note, there is an understanding that often needs to be cleared on the "call shot rules" called the "short rail rule" for lack of a better name. This usually comes up when you have a kick shot at a ball near a rail and a close pocket. Basically this concerns how far up the rail from your ob your cb can contact the rail first. Many places will consider 1/2 spot up from the ob as good even though you didn't call the rail first. Usually I just call the shot "no rail" or "rail first" to keep the fuss down.

All of this means little in most bar tournaments anyway, it's mainly in playing for a little cash in a strange place that things can get serious. I've also noticed the grayer my beard gets the more belligerent the youngns get. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
04-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey Ras,

I'm making chili this weekend, even though there's no cookoff. Didn't you bring the green "hot sauce chili" year before last? How about some more?

SpiderMan

ras314
04-17-2007, 11:55 AM
SpiderMan,

I won't make it over there this time. That was plain old New Mexico green chili, made as mild as possible according to the chili cook ( I cheated /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) Around here if you want a bowl of chili they ask you "red or green" and will figure you are kinda strange if you mention beans.

I hope to see y'all kick butt and take names over in Vegas though. You might ought to get more rest than whatever that SWEL doings was... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Tantalizinggurl
04-26-2007, 02:05 AM
This I know. That is not a VNEA rule. And as for bar pool whom ever has the table knows the rules from where I come from. I dont have to like the rules they have but winner of table has right to play what ever he or she wants /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif