PDA

View Full Version : Sharking....

wolfdancer
04-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm normally a good sportsman but yesterday I could see that I was about to suffer an embarassing defeat,and decided that anything to avoid this was justified.I had a whole generation to defend....
The game was chess, and my opponent was my friend's 5 yr old son. He knows how to play.....I know the names of the pieces.
I'm thinking why didn't I read Walter Tevis's "The Queen's Gambit" instead of "The Color of Money"?
Should I employ the Sicilian defense...or the French defense, which calls for an early surrender?
I'd never live this down if I lost....
At first I tried to dazzle him with some terms like "The Ruy Lopez" and "The Guico Piano/Two Knights Defense" openings, but he was more interested in removing two of my pieces from the board.
Finally though, I wore him down, by yelling "checkmate" after every one of my moves.... he quit in disgust....(well, if you can't stand the heat....)

cushioncrawler
04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Woolfy -- Do what i did. I play chess "Loozemz". To win u must looze, ie looze your King. Everything else iz the same, the only new rule iz that "if u can take a piece, u must". Of course if u can take a number of pieces, then which one u take iz up to u. madMac.

SpiderMan
04-03-2007, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Should I employ the Sicilian defense...or the French defense, which calls for an early surrender?<hr /></blockquote>

During a battle in WW2, an Italian and a German tank backed into one another. The Italian driver jumped out and surrendered. The German shot him. Reported by a Frenchman cowering in the weeds.

SpiderMan

wolfdancer
04-03-2007, 09:48 AM
LOL !!!!

Qtec
04-03-2007, 10:27 PM
The French Defense is very passive, I must admit. Its playing for a draw.
The Scicilian was also passive till Kaspaov came along and showed the possibilities for attack.
Great game chess, wish I could play.

Q

wolfdancer
04-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Q, the story is mostly true, except i didn't know any of the terms until I got home and Googled "chess"....
Now I might just join a chess site, learn to play......then go kick some 5 yr old's butt.......

Gayle in MD
04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
That's sounds like something I'd enjoy. My Dad and I used to play a lot of chess when I was growing up. Man, I sure miss my parents. I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what he taught me, now, but Chess is a great game.

Gayle in Md.