PDA

View Full Version : Billiards - College tournaments in 1938

Snapshot9
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Interesting reading.
Billiards in 1938 (http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/02/billiards-by-wire/)

cushioncrawler
04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Bob Jewett won the singles title that year i think. Bob shaved with Treet blades, and puffed on Velvet tobaccy. But hiz game went downhill after they changed over from ivory balls. madMac.

wolfdancer
04-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Mac, Bob was one of the forces behind the equal offense tournaments, conducted over the internet. His team "usually" won...in fact, may have won them all.
My team never really contended, but we did beat out a team of Japanese schoolgirls....
It was kind of neat....we played on sat morning, recovering from hangovers, and before the room was open for business. It's hard to pocket balls while the janitor is trying to vacuum your table......

Bob_Jewett
04-09-2007, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Mac, Bob was one of the forces behind the equal offense tournaments, conducted over the internet. His team "usually" won...in fact, may have won them all.
... ..... <hr /></blockquote>
Not even close to all of them. I think Don Feeney still holds the high total with 176 (of 200 possible) in the Internet Equal Offense tournaments. His team from Chicago and one from Oklahoma were very strong as I recall.

For those who haven't heard of Don Feeney, he has a series of instructional tapes out and set the remarkable personal record of running 100 at 14.1, making a century break (running 100) at snooker and running 10 at 3-cushion billiards all on the same day. (And some people worry that playing eight ball will hurt their nine ball game.)

wolfdancer
04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
You're being too modest...I didn't know about the other teams, but your team won it's share...
I had Don's tapes.....good info, but Don's commentary was so slow, as to be boring.
I didn't know he was that good a player...I only recall seeing him as a referee, tux and white gloves, for a pro tournament.
running 10 in 3c, and 100 in 14.1 in the same day is awesome....that might be a "day (walk) in the park" for you????