PDA

View Full Version : shooting rail-frozen cue

DeadCrab
04-08-2007, 01:58 PM
OK, I am an expert at leaving the cue ball frozen to the rail, or close to it.

When shooting a cue ball tight to the rail, can the "follow" being forced by striking the cueball above center be mitigated by raising the stick, or is it best to just hit as close to center as possible?

bsmutz
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, it can. By raising the cue enough, you can actually masse the cue ball and put draw on it. Be aware that every degree of elevation makes the shot that much harder, so it is best used on relatively easy shots. I've had some success lately with this type of shot by making sure I'm lined up correctly, then watching the cue ball last during my final stroke rather than focusing on the object ball. This helps me get the center ball hit more consistently.

dave
04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I have a seperate but related question concerning follow through distance under these same conditions. Do you follow through as completely as possible, or is the length of you follow through a mirror image of the restricted length of your backswing?

Stretch
04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave:</font><hr> I have a seperate but related question concerning follow through distance under these same conditions. Do you follow through as completely as possible, or is the length of you follow through a mirror image of the restricted length of your backswing? <hr /></blockquote>

For these shots it's better to restrict your follow through. I go ruffly 50/50. 2 inch backstroke, 2 inch follow. Or 4 inch backstroke 4 inch follow. For the best results i use an open bridge. Just lay the cue on the rail and brace your bridge hand on the outside edge of rail under cue. Raise up your v (formed with thumb and pointer finger) up till cue just barely lifts of rail. Now use back hand to slightly press shaft into your v bridge, this helps prevent the cue tip from jumping up off your hand when you contact the top of the cueball. Remember to use a shortened follow through or use the 50/50 method. Practice these! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

wolfdancer
04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
It's against the rules here to use big, obscure words like "mitigated"....there are women, children, and Republicans that read these posts.

Cydpkt
04-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Mostly the republicans are reading it out loud then explaining it to the Democrates. (Sorry couldn't help myself)

JohnnyP
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Elevating the butt of the cue causes the cueball to jump slightly.

If the cueball is against the rail, the equator of the cueball will be under the nose of the cushion.

When stroked, the cueball will hit the underside of the cushion, and squirt out.

dave
04-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I mentioned this because I remember hearing Allison Fisher being quoted as saying that the follow through should mirror the length of the backswing on virtually all shots.