PDA

View Full Version : What makes a player?

07-23-2002, 02:55 PM
In my ongoing self anlysis and debriefing, I've come to a point where I need a simple question answered from as many of you as possible. What makes a real pool player? Is it his or her ability to win or is it his or her ability to win for $$$. Which one stands for what this sport is all about. Forget trying to be a pro tournament player. I'm talking about us average Joes. Is it that guy that enjoys beating someone for nothing, loving the fact that they played an excellent set of games or is it the guy who takes home the cash? What defines the player? I once wholeheartedly believed it was the guy who took home the cash, now, I'm not so sure what a poolplayer is supposed to embody.

07-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Kahn, I respectfully submit that it is not necessarily either of your two descriptions.

To me, a pool player is one who is a student of the game. Someone who takes the opportunity to learn, and someone who works at his game.

Anyone else, IMO, is just a person who plays pool.

- Steve Lipsky

socrates
07-23-2002, 03:19 PM
I think you might enjoy reading the book "The pleasures of small motions" by Bob Fancher. Also liked what Steve Lipskey said in his post.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-23-2002, 05:30 PM
This question comes up from time to time and I enjoy the replies.

My definition of a player is one that is capable of "getting out" when they are suppose to. Some players get out when no one thinks that it is possible. Some players get out only a small fraction of the time.

But, if you want me to call you a "player" you have to be able to "get out" when you are suppose to consistantly.

07-23-2002, 07:33 PM
A Pool Player: One who plays all games well. Tournament, League or the Cash and is always a competitor. One who can practice with as much enthusiam as they play.

Randy believe's that there is a world of difference between a 9-ball (8-ball) player and a pool player although many are the same......thank you....randyg

Rod
07-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Good reply Steve, it is a per-suite of acheving the best you can be, and it never ends. Most people who play pool settle for second best, while a pool player always finds ways to improve, IMO usually related to, but not limited, to technique.

07-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Love your answer dude, but ever since I've started playing this sport, I've heard about pressure proofing your game. Ice water in the veins, mental toughness. Ask any of the few hundred serious players in my town, they will tell you there is only one way to get there $$$. Unless someone has been lying to me, I would like to know the alternative to the two headed beast that is gambling. And I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious. If there is another way let me know an I will do it. Today. Someone may mention tournament play but I neglected to say, the tournament scene in my town is scarce. The pool of A players is 3 now 1 the pool of B players is probably 30 and an over abundance of c to d guys. The Bs don't want the A in their tournament the c won't put there money up if B are in the tournament and the A just wants to play anybody. In the end 5 guys religiously show up. Now, with that said. Please enlighten me.

Alfie
07-24-2002, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kahn:</font><hr> Today. Someone may mention tournament play but I neglected to say, the tournament scene in my town is scarce. The pool of A players is 3 now 1 the pool of B players is probably 30 and an over abundance of c to d guys. The Bs don't want the A in their tournament the c won't put there money up if B are in the tournament and the A just wants to play anybody. In the end 5 guys religiously show up. Now, with that said. Please enlighten me. <hr></blockquote>
Do these guys gamble with each other?

07-24-2002, 11:47 AM

07-24-2002, 01:51 PM
This place is gamble central. However, whereas most players elsewhere want a handicapped race of somesort, here the weaker players want a last ball or two or three off or they want you to play last pocket 8 ball while they play straight 8. Oh, they'll gamble you this way but if I had to race to 6 while they race to 3, they wouldn't take it. It has to be last balls off.

bluewolf
07-24-2002, 02:00 PM
This is interesting that this even came up.It reminds me of a meeting I once went to where the people there argued for three hours about the color of the teeshirts.

Swimming, golf, billiards, karate, what do they have in common?

Even when on a team, the competition is with one self. It is not winning that matters, but mastery over self.

Laura

07-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Man you sound just like me. Those free games got me no respect. Funzy player is all the disrespect you got. Oh, you got off light. I got bi#$h, coward, punk, f-ing girl. You name it. I was the big kid in high school and college, I am not accustomed to be talked to in such a manner. Good thing about this game is the stick does the talking. I eventually did the dance for $5 and $10 think that was enough, hell no. Then I was playing this guy one day $20 a rack. I was down $200 he asked to raise bet to $50 a game. I declined. Man with the amount of peole sucking there teeth in disgust, I thought the entire stray canine population would show up at the bar room door. I did not get any respect until, that day, I agreed to a $100 a rack. After being down $200, I came out $800 ahead. People who dissed me once, praised me then. That's all I needed to get hooked. Hooked on the gamble, the adrenaline the so called respect. Got so bad, I didn't want a free game with anyone who I knew played for cash. The "funzy players" I never troubled because I remember how much fun it was in that category. To play for play. From beginning to end it was fun. With money games it isn't fun until my pocket has that familiar bulge. Damn I remember detesting money players. Now I'm a member of this cut throat fraternity. I'm hoping this feeling that's taken hold of me, this feeling of disgust with the scene is the sign that I want out. But I haven't made up my mind if getting out of the frat is worth loosing the "respect" and that feeling of being the host of your own tv show where you are the star and everyone is watching you and the amazing sh#%t you can do.

Get creative are the right words. Our tournament scene is the pits. The A's killed it sneaking into tournaments they don't belong in. The Bs ruin it by letting the As intimidate them enough to stay home and the C's ruin it cause, through no fault of their own other than being a novice, they don't have the skill to win a few here and there to show the others they have a chance. Even with say a 6 - 2 handicapp they suck. Now us B's are talking about having an informal gamble/tournament. We intend to put up like $50 each secure two tables through funzy play and then start a double elimination tournament. This keeps the A, who happens to be the owner of the joint, out of our mix and we can finally decide which B is the best. Cause as it is. We don't know who is the number 1 B in this place. This is going on 3 years now. I like your ideas with the girls man. These guys love to throw their winnings away in a strip club. Maybe we can bring the excitement to us. But you see, I can't take having fine women around when playing for cash so I know in tournament I get kicked out early. Curvacious females are one of my main reasons for missing a shot. Thank goodness my opponents have been just as distracted. But I would have to say, if the tournament scene were real here, I think I would quit gambling today. Just got a bad taste in my mouth man.

07-24-2002, 04:10 PM
besides flat out more pure talent than us mortals, i think it's a complete and utter hatred for losing.

the whole money business? well, does that make nagy or mikula or euphemia bad? if a player can play under pressure, then that's just another feather in his cap, but a great game is a great game.