PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a CHEAP pool table...

Gremlin
04-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I am looking to buy a table for under $400... It doesnt have to be the newest shiny table in the world, just has to be something practical that I can practice on to improve. Do you have any suggestions? The ones on Ebay all are pickup only, or the delivery cost is more then the cost of the table!

Thanks for the advice,

Gremin

trob
04-13-2007, 06:16 AM
just keep checking the paper man...good deals pop up all the time.

graniteguy
04-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Check to see if you have a Craig's list near you. You can check at [url=http://www.craigslist.com [/url] It is a classified ad website.

DeadCrab
04-13-2007, 06:40 AM
This question comes up in this forum now and then. I also am in need of a practice table. My issue was not so much price, but the problems associated with having to move it within a couple of years. Slate is cheap. Moving it is very expensive.I also have the problem that the stairs to my basement take a very sharp turn, and it is impossible to get a table down them without total disassembly.

In January, I decided to build a 7' practice table. I decided that many problems could be solved by using a steel frame. We all know that MDF is not a good surface because of shape and warpage, but what about MDF attached to steel?

So, working without a plan, I started building this thing. Today and tomorrow, I will be finishing it. I will say one thing about it: it is level, and so far the surface is true.
I can also slide a 3-piece K-pattern slate on it any time.

Here is what it cost me:
Wood for legs: $20
Steel for frame: $85
MDF: $23
Cloth, K-66 cushions, Pockets: $178
Subrails: $120 (I milled my own)
Toprails: could be done with pine cheaply, I will probably use oak.
Hardware: $50

So, for $500-600 you can build your own solid, slate ready table, if you are so inclined.

I would put in a pic of how to do the frame, but I can't figure out how to do this. In my opinion, if you have some tools, a little time, and some basic skills, you may want to consider building your own.

bsmutz
04-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Walmart and Costco have had cheap tables in the past. Not sure if they still both carry them or not. Sears has some cheap tables, too.

canadan
04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
haha last time I was at wal mart they had a table set up with the price above $399........... so I walk over to it thinking hmmmmmmmm...? looks good.... untill I picked it up with one hand. I dont think it was slate I did not investagate any further just walked away from it. but it would be a good start to buikding you own,, maybe lol. then I went to the cues.........lol,,,,, thinking maybe I can get a bud light cue that would fit my 314,,,, but for some reason they had no quick releases,,,,,lol wal mart... oh nice looking 4 peice for $16 ..lol

HarryDC
04-13-2007, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gremlin:</font><hr> I am looking to buy a table for under $400... It doesnt have to be the newest shiny table in the world, just has to be something practical that I can practice on to improve. Do you have any suggestions? The ones on Ebay all are pickup only, or the delivery cost is more then the cost of the table!

Thanks for the advice,

Gremin <hr /></blockquote>

Gremlin

It depends on how cheap you want the table? I would check the wantads in your local newspaper. If going to a basement be sure to check space and humidity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

HarryDC

trob
04-15-2007, 07:05 AM
I have a crappy basement that's not worth redoing in my house. My table is foor me to stay in stroke. It's nothing fancy. I bought it from a friend who originaly bought it at Namco for like 800 bucks. I got it from him for $150. Honstly there is nothing to the thing. I broke it down and hauled it home in my bmw for gods sakes. It looks nice but all the wood is particle board. The rails play great..fast the way I like it..I put simonis cloth on it and have brunswick centenial balls and honestly it plays level and great! I think you can take a cheap table..put on good rails and felt and it will play like a high end one.