PDA

View Full Version : Shot Clock Question

nnn
04-14-2007, 08:17 PM
When does the shot clock begin?
At the moment that the opponent hits their ball?
At the time you step up to the table?

I watched some televised matches, and I couldn't really tell!!

Sometimes the player after hitting a shot, would then go and change cues. Seems that the clock stops at this point?

I'd like to understand this concept, thanks!!

underdog
04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
I think it's after all the balls come to rest...(i.e. stop spinning.)

CarolNYC
04-15-2007, 02:54 PM
If in the opinion of the referee a player is impeding the progress of the tournament or game with consistently slow play, the referee can warn the player and then at his discretion impose a time limit up to a maximum of 45 seconds that applies to both players between shots (that is, both players are put on a shot-clock). If the referee does impose a time limit and that limit is exceeded by a player who has received a 10 second “time” warning, a foul will be called and the incoming player is rewarded according to the rules applicable to the game being played. During a player's inning, the shot-clock starts when the previous shot ends, and runs until tip-to-ball contact begins the next shot. The
time while a shot is in progress is not counted. If a player begins with cue ball in hand, the shot-clock starts when he has possession of the cue ball, and any spotting or racking is finished. If a player has not approached the shot, a warning with the announcement of “time” should be made 10 seconds prior to the time limit being reached. If a player exceeds the time limit specified for the tournament, a foul will be called and the incoming player is rewarded according to the rules applicable to the game being played. In the case of a player down over the ball at the 10 second mark prior to the time limit, no announcement is to be made and no penalty is to be imposed. In the event of a player standing up off the shot, “time” will be called at that point and normal shot clock procedure is followed. Each player may call for one extension per rack. The extension period is identical to the time limit imposed. In the event of a tie score with only one game remaining, each player may utilize two extensions. Player must insure that the referee/timekeeper is aware when an extension is called.

bsmutz
04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I think there are different rules for different tournaments. Sometimes it looks like they hurry to get their jump cue, sometimes it looks like they tell the ref they are going to get their jump cue and the ref stops the clock while they do. Same thing with the bridge. Also, sometimes the ref keeps the shot clock in their hand and other times there is an official shot clock that is kept by someone else. I've seen "ten" called and it seems like as long as the player stays down on the shot, they can go longer than the ten seconds. It's tough to tell as I've only seen one violation in all of the televised tournaments I've watched. I've never seen the clock stop when the ref isn't keeping the clock and of course, you can't really see what's happening when the stopwatch is in the ref's hand.

Snapshot9
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
When they are at the table.

If they decide they need their jump cue, the clock is stopped until they again come up to the table with it in hand.