PDA

View Full Version : 31+ Students KILLED on Virginia Tech campus

sack316
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Massacre at Virginia Tech: 29 Confirmed Dead

By DAVID SCHOETZ, NED POTTER, and the staff of ABC News

Apr. 16, 2007 At least 29 people are dead in what may be the biggest mass killing on a college campus in American history and the death toll may rise.

Police at Virginia Tech, in Blaksburg, Va., said that the shootings happened at a dormitory and a classroom on opposite sides of the university campus.

Law enforcement sources tell ABC News the shooting may have been set off by an off-campus incident.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said that one person was killed in the first shooting, which occurred just after 7 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a large dormitory. Flinchum said that at least 20 more people were killed at Norris Hall, an academic building.

The gunman, whose identity has not been released, is among the dead. Flinchum wouldn't say whether the shooter had killed himself.

ABC News has confirmed that there were two separate bomb threats last week at Virginia Tech that targeted engineering buildings. The first was directed at Torgersen Hall, while the second was directed at multiple engineering buildings. Students and staff were evacuated, and the university had offered a $5,000 reward for information into the threats.

Two local hospitals have reported treating 21 people, though it is unclear how many of those may have died.

University president Charles Steger said that police have not officially tied together the two shootings.

Steger described today's events as an incident of "tragic proportions" and said, "the university is shocked and horrified that this would befall us."

The campus is closed today and classed are canceled today and tomorrow. Families seeking to reunite with their children have been directed by the university to the Inn at Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech, located in western Virginia near the borders with West Virginia and Tennessee, has more than 25,000 full time students. Its campus, which spreads out over 2,600 acres, has more than 100 buildings.

S. Daniel Carter, senior vice president for Security On Campus, Inc. who has been studying campus crime for 15 years, said he watched the news at Virginia Tech unfold in "utter shock." Carter is based a couple of hours' drive away, in Knoxville, Tenn.

"Nothing like this has happened before," he said, adding that the average number of killings on all American campuses combined has hovered around 20 since the Department of Education formally began collecting data in the early 1990s.

While information had not been released about the gunman, Carter said he suspected that whoever the shooter was suffered from some deep psychological problem and was likely connected to the university campus in some way.

"In the past, in similar cases, it's usually been a psychological issue and not just a security issue," Carter said. "One of the people who was killed was an older individual, maybe a faculty member. That could be a likely underlying factor in this case someone who has failed."

Pretty f'ed up stuff,
Sack

cueball1950
04-16-2007, 12:49 PM
we all should say a prayer for the deceased and wounded. May the deceased rest in eternal peace and the wounded recover fully. What a terrible tragedy to happen. So sad what this world is coming to.......mike

Gayle in MD
04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
A horrible, senseless tragedy. Heartbreaking.

pooltchr
04-16-2007, 06:43 PM
My wife's brother is a Hokie graduate who still lives up there. He and Del Curry were the two players drafted by the NBA the year they graduated, so we have been following the story very closely. Bobby told us they are really not getting any more information than what the rest of the country is getting, but I will pass along anything relevent that I hear.
Meanwhile, our prayers go out to the entire Hokie family.
Steve

Gayle in MD
04-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Thank you Steve. This is so horrible and sad. All those young folks, gone before they had a chance to live their lives. So tragic.

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
04-17-2007, 08:56 AM
As the perpetrator was South Korean, I am dealing with a bunch of guilt ridden employees this morning and, no matter how I try to explain that we, as Americans, don't blame them personally, they are still very nervous that this will change our relationship.

This is tragic. We will all ask why would someone do this terrible thing but our world is just much different that we are accustomed to?

My heart goes out to all the families and the good folks of Virginia Tech and Blacksburg.

I wish simple gun laws would change this but it will not.

eg8r
04-17-2007, 09:36 AM
What a horrible day. My prayers are with the students and their families.

The one gaurantee in all this is the gun control termites will be coming out of the wood work on this. Here is a quote from Boortz's site which should ring home with Virginia Tech... [ QUOTE ]
Now here's something that I have yet to see reported in the mainstream media. Earlier this year the Virginia General Assembly failed to act on House Bill 1572. The citizens of Virginia are permitted to carry concealed weapons if they get a proper permit from the state government --- unless you are on a college campus. This bill would have allowed college students and employees to carry handguns on campus --- with appropriate permits, of course. It died in subcommittee. After the bill was thrown out up steps Larry Hincker, a spokesman for Virginia Tech, the site of today's carnage, who says "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus." <hr /></blockquote> I absolutely believe if they would have allowed handguns, for only those with concealed weapons permits, on the campus then the number killed would be drastically lower.

eg8r