PDA

View Full Version : PBTA and Don Mackey

WVEAP
04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Can anyone tell me the true history of Don Mackey from the late 90's from a personal perspective rather than speculative or third person hearsay and if you know where he is now? I am doing some research on the Pro Billiards Tour and would like to find out what really happened to the tour and Don Mackey from a first person perspective.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Bob_Jewett
04-17-2007, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WVEAP:</font><hr> Can anyone tell me the true history of Don Mackey from the late 90's from a personal perspective rather than speculative or third person hearsay and if you know where he is now? I am doing some research on the Pro Billiards Tour and would like to find out what really happened to the tour and Don Mackey from a first person perspective.

Any assistance is much appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>
I talked to Don for about 20 minutes at one Trade Show, but that hardly counts as first-person. Read the various pool mags of the time for background. Talk to Mike Panozzo, Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Dick Lane, C.J. Wiley, Sammy Jones and Pat Fleming. Harold Simonsen and others at P&amp;B should also be good sources.

WVEAP
04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. What was your take of Don Mackey from your short 20 minutes? How can you suggest I get ahold of the pool mags of the time and also contacting the people you recommended?

Bob_Jewett
04-17-2007, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WVEAP:</font><hr> Thanks for the reply. What was your take of Don Mackey from your short 20 minutes? How can you suggest I get ahold of the pool mags of the time and also contacting the people you recommended?
<hr /></blockquote>
Some people have collections of the magazines. If you are near Chicago, BD has a complete collection of its issues. I assume the same is true of P&amp;B. Don't know about National Billiard News, but I would guess they have an archive as well. Those were the three principal pool mags during that time, IIRC.

I have complete runs of all three of those, but I'm not willing to lend them out.

As for the people I mentioned, I can give you a start. Pat Fleming still runs Accu-stats. Panozzo still publishes Billiards Digest. Dick Lane is probably still involved with the chain "Clicks" and located in Dallas. I think Nick Varner lives back in Owensboro. Try google.

In my brief encounter, I came to the conclusion that Don Mackey was one of the most effective speakers I had ever heard.

SpiderMan
04-17-2007, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote WVEAP:</font><hr> Thanks for the reply. What was your take of Don Mackey from your short 20 minutes? How can you suggest I get ahold of the pool mags of the time and also contacting the people you recommended?
<hr /></blockquote>
Some people have collections of the magazines. If you are near Chicago, BD has a complete collection of its issues. I assume the same is true of P&amp;B. Don't know about National Billiard News, but I would guess they have an archive as well. Those were the three principal pool mags during that time, IIRC.

I have complete runs of all three of those, but I'm not willing to lend them out.

As for the people I mentioned, I can give you a start. Pat Fleming still runs Accu-stats. Panozzo still publishes Billiards Digest. Dick Lane is probably still involved with the chain "Clicks" and located in Dallas. I think Nick Varner lives back in Owensboro. Try google.

In my brief encounter, I came to the conclusion that Don Mackey was one of the most effective speakers I had ever heard. <hr /></blockquote>

I have Dick's cell number and email, but he might not care to be solicited without permission. If the original poster wishes to PM me with a short message of what he needs and some contact info, I'll pass it on.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
04-17-2007, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>In my brief encounter, I came to the conclusion that Don Mackey was one of the most effective speakers I had ever heard. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> So was P.T. Barnum. </font color>

WVEAP
04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks again for the wealth of info. How do I PM you? I am new at this.