PDA

View Full Version : CCB'ers going to Vegas for the BCA nationals?

ras314
04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
For the BCA nationals?

I just made reservations for May 11 to May 20, hope I got the dates correct. Just got to watch triple D run over the compatishtion (Dallas Dymamic Duo). /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well, S&S just don't sound as catchy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rip
04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey there Ras!
The first round is on me! And if you win another fancy case I'll give ya' $25 for it cash money! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif DEAL?
Seriously though, I look forward to seeing you again.
Rip

ras314
04-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi Rip,

Good to hear you are still around. Maybe try a few racks at the Cue Club?

Oddly enough I ran across someone here in the wilds of New Mexico that reconized the case. Now I'm almost scared to haul it around, it's worth more than my cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott Lee
04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Roy...I'll be there the 13th-19th! Cue-Tech will have a room with a pool table, right across the hall from the main tournament room. We'll be giving free pool tips during the day, Mon-Fri. I'll be looking for your "Big Black Hat"!

Scott Lee

ras314
04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey Scott, I'll drop by. Besides, I still owe you a steak dinner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Same hat but has a bit more "character" now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Roy

Deeman3
04-20-2007, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> For the BCA nationals?

I just made reservations for May 11 to May 20, hope I got the dates correct. Just got to watch triple D run over the compatishtion (Dallas Dymamic Duo). /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well, S&amp;S just don't sound as catchy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Dynamic Dallas Duo Defends Doubles Deal During Defeafening Drone of Deadly Dennisons Dodging Duress.....Duh?

Someone make sure and take a nice photo of these two so we can have an appropriate t-shirt made up. Just making the trip is a nice win, in my book.

ras314
04-20-2007, 03:14 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll see if my old camera still works and send you the photos.

Roy

SPetty
04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm there from the 10th thru the 19th. I'll be playing singles, scotch doubles and teams. I have a VIP ticket for the pro events, I won a free ticket to the BCA Hall of Fame Induction ceremony, and I'm planning to go to the Rio seafood buffet on Monday night. I look forward to seeing many of my old friends and meeting one or two new ones. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ras314
04-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Ah yes, the Rio buffet! I've discovered, by trial and error, that seafood in large amounts doesn't screw up the blood glucose levels. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe we can have a CCB Monday night at the Rio? Sort of like the CCB dinner at the US open. I really treasure the memory of sitting at the table with Criss Cass and Grady with his new wife. Along with many other fine folks that have the some of the same interests as I do.

Snapshot9
04-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Grady has a new wife?

ras314
04-21-2007, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Grady has a new wife? <hr /></blockquote>
That was a few years ago. Hope I haven't started any rumors.

Rich R.
04-21-2007, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Grady has a new wife? <hr /></blockquote>
That was a few years ago. Hope I haven't started any rumors. <hr /></blockquote>
Ras, I don't think she was a "new wife" then or now. I don't know the history of Grady's married life, but he was married to that same lady for at least several years before that CCB dinner.

ras314
04-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I guess new is a relative term, I had just seen an Accu-stats match where Allen Hopkins mentioned the recent marriage. It was great to get to actually meet them. As you might guess, I don't get out and around much so the US Open was a unique experience for me.

Vegas is much closer, only a 1 day drive.

Roy

Rich R.
04-21-2007, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> As you might guess, I don't get out and around much so the US Open was a unique experience for me.

Vegas is much closer, only a 1 day drive.<hr /></blockquote>
The U.S. Open is just around the corner and down the road from Vegas. What's a couple of thousand miles? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
04-21-2007, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
The U.S. Open is just around the corner and down the road from Vegas. What's a couple of thousand miles? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

8 days on the road and a whole bunch of gas round trip! LOL

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Fly, it's a lot less money.

DG - planning on coming to the Open, as long as Mrs DG can get off work

ras314
04-21-2007, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fly, it's a lot less money.

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, but it's 200 miles to the airport up in Albuquerque, where I would hit I 40 headed east anyway. Then there is parking charges, transportation issues once at the Open...

Ok, I'll fess up. I hate to fly and haven't since I retired. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

And that was a few years before before 9/11.

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2007, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fly, it's a lot less money.

<hr /></blockquote>

Ok, I'll fess up. I hate to fly and haven't since I retired. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

And that was a few years before before 9/11. <hr /></blockquote>

Have a few drinks before you get on the plane....it'll make a world of difference. I did this when I flew to Europe many years ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It worked. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DG

Rich R.
04-21-2007, 10:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fly, it's a lot less money.

DG - planning on coming to the Open, as long as Mrs DG can get off work <hr /></blockquote>
Tell Mrs DG to quit the job, if she can't get off. There are priorities. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I hope Mrs DG can get off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
04-21-2007, 10:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>8 days on the road and a whole bunch of gas round trip! LOL <hr /></blockquote>
Your retired. What else do you have to do with your time? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You either sit in the rocking chair or come to the Open. I know which one I would choose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Come to think of it, I am now retired. My seats at the Open are in the Jacoby Cues section, seats number 28 &amp; 29. Enough said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
04-22-2007, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> [Your retired. What else do you have to do with your time? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You either sit in the rocking chair or come to the Open. I know which one I would choose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

I'll have you know I don't own a rocking chair! Yet ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And I've been riding bicycles every day for exercise several years now, dropped at least 30 lbs since we met, and am turning into a lean mean pool playing machine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But yall have got me thinking about the trip, may give the booze a try. Driving over the first time I discovered there are too many good players anywhere you go these days, couldn't even make gas money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Besides, the CCB tourney was the first raffle I ever won anything in my life. It broke the ice I guess for the nice case raffle in Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Roy

dg-in-centralpa
04-22-2007, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> [Your retired. What else do you have to do with your time? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

And I've been riding bicycles every day for exercise several years now,

Roy <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe if you start now, you can ride your bike to the Open?LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I haven't been on a bike in several years. I definitely wouldn't make it by October for the Open. Hope to see you there.

DG /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
04-22-2007, 07:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I'll have you know I don't own a rocking chair! Yet ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And I've been riding bicycles every day for exercise several years now, dropped at least 30 lbs since we met, and am turning into a lean mean pool playing machine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But yall have got me thinking about the trip, may give the booze a try. Driving over the first time I discovered there are too many good players anywhere you go these days, couldn't even make gas money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Besides, the CCB tourney was the first raffle I ever won anything in my life. It broke the ice I guess for the nice case raffle in Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif<hr /></blockquote>
Roy, I assure you, any weight you have lost, I have found, and then some. I will be more than happy to return it to you, at any time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I hope you decide to make the trip. I know it is a long one, but it would be great to see you again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Travel safely to Vegas and to the Open, if you decide to come.

ras314
04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Maybe if you start now, you can ride your bike to the Open?LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I haven't been on a bike in several years. I definitely wouldn't make it by October for the Open. Hope to see you there.

DG /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ye gads, can't believe I actually started thinking about what this would take! And 10 miles is a looong ways for me, you know what with the hills and all. Let's see, 1700 miles (short route), lay over Almalagorodo, Mission Billards; Lubbuck Tx, fast Eddeys, Wacko, Dallas (hear there is a new pool hall with diamond tables opening there), PPPP, long pull to Memthis and High pockets,... Figure about 6 months or so... Think I'm liking DG's solution too earlly...Hic

Rich, I'm thinking I ain't getting any younger and you are absolutely correct, now checking the seating website. In spite of the bad attitude I had last time I had a great time.

Anyway, Vegas is first on the schedule. And Red Barn in Kingman, Az. like to meet Rude Dog if he is still there. Then give away a bit more cash at the Cue Club in Vegas, might stop back thru Tucson at Pockets for a while...

Man ain't it great being retired?

Roy

Eric.
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Just a bump to the top. I'm leaving for Vegas 5/10.

Eric &gt;Vegas, baby

DickLeonard
05-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Ras314 God dinner with Chris Cass I wish I could have traded places with you.####

SpiderMan
05-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I arrive tomorrow night, staying until Saturday evening (the 19th).

SpiderMan

ras314
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
####, I had the priviledge of sharing the motel room with him for that tournament, also video taped his matches. Didn't do a very good job filming them though. I believe Chris wound up needing one more win to get in the money, pretty impressive with the condition he was in.

ras314
05-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I should get there sometime late Friday, figure I'll check out the Riviera and a couple pool halls if I'm not too tired. A day's drive pretty well does me in these days.

SpiderMan
05-09-2007, 09:48 AM
The tentative plan is Rio on Monday night, unless we're still playing matches. I would have preferred Tuesday, when both Scotch and singles will be over, but SPetty won a ticket for some pool-related event at the Riviera on Tuesday night.

BTW, I've located some discount tickets for $8 per person off the Rio Buffet. Almost makes it a bargain - may have to go twice!

SpiderMan

ras314
05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Hmmm, $8 isn't much off for the Rio. But they sure have a lot of goodies....

I think I finally got the BCA's scheduling scheme figured out, if it hasn't changed much, and will try to keep up with your matches. Have you played on their Diamond tables?

I may see if I can sign up with the BCA there and play some of the mini tournaments if they still have them. I ain't going to be able to watch that much pool without playing somewhere! I think the Cue Club's tournament's used some sort of rating scheme, if they will accept the Arizona rating I'm in. Probably be cheaper for me than playing anyone heads up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SpiderMan
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Hmmm, $8 isn't much off for the Rio. But they sure have a lot of goodies....

I think I finally got the BCA's scheduling scheme figured out, if it hasn't changed much, and will try to keep up with your matches. Have you played on their Diamond tables?

I may see if I can sign up with the BCA there and play some of the mini tournaments if they still have them. I ain't going to be able to watch that much pool without playing somewhere! I think the Cue Club's tournament's used some sort of rating scheme, if they will accept the Arizona rating I'm in. Probably be cheaper for me than playing anyone heads up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Roy,

$8 may not seem like much, but I'd rather pay $27 than $35 any day!

Where did you find the BCA scheduling? I've been looking all over their website, and don't see any way to get match results.

As far as I know, at least in years past, you did not need to show any proof of BCA membership to play in the minis - it was strictly a cash-and-carry proposition. Pay in, play, pay out, minus the skim.

What is your Arizona rating? I was a 7, but that was about 6 years ago. I think I'd be an 8 now.

SpiderMan

ras314
05-09-2007, 12:11 PM
SpiderMan,

I was referring to the huge list of matches and locations they post during the action, took me a while to figure all that out.

Somewhere they had rules listed you had to be a BCA member to play and whoever I finally located to ask told me I couldn't sign up then. Could be that has changed.

Yeah, I have no doubt you would be rated 8 or more likely higher. I got rated an 8 several years ago also, on a particularly lucky day for me. I made no attempt to cheat the system but still two gold breaks and 10 racks or so straight wins was a bit much. Probably would have gotten slapped with a 9 had I been able to run a rack. Then promptly went 2 and out in the first tournament, as per usual. Still an 8 although maybe some improvement. I've played several 9's and think my money would be on you. The one 10 I've met is pretty fair shortstop speed, not much short of a pro IMO.

Last time I played in Tucson I had to spot everybody I met, some as much as 3 racks in a race to 5. Gets nerve racking after a while.

SpiderMan
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
When I was in Phoenix in 2001 I met Rod Elliot, who also posts here. He was rated a "10", and he was far above me in both ability and knowlege. I'm sure I'd give him a better game now, but still he would have nothing to worry about from me.

One of Rod's friends, who was on the rating committee and helped rate me, was an 8 at the time. From what I remember, he outplayed me then but I think I'd be about even now. Unless he's also improved /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SPetty
05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Hmmm, $8 isn't much off for the Rio.<hr /></blockquote>$8 may not seem like much, but I'd rather pay $27 than $35 any day!<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, but the last time I was at the Rio, it was more like $75! (Right, ras?)

If you have extras, I could use two of those coupons...

And yeah, supposedly you're supposed to be a BCA member to play in the mini tourneys, but I've never seen anyone actually verify that in any way.

And, the only thing they have in the way of scheduling is what's published in the brochure that shows the high level Scotch Doubles starts 5/11, ends 5/15; Singles starts 5/12, ends 5/15; etc. ras314's talking about the "tote boards" and how to follow them to see who's playing when and where.

Eric.
05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> The tentative plan is Rio on Monday night, unless we're still playing matches. I would have preferred Tuesday, when both Scotch and singles will be over, but SPetty won a ticket for some pool-related event at the Riviera on Tuesday night.

BTW, I've located some discount tickets for $8 per person off the Rio Buffet. Almost makes it a bargain - may have to go twice!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I did a quick Google search, is this any good? :

http://www.bigvegasbuffet.com/

Eric

SPetty
05-09-2007, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>I did a quick Google search, is this any good?<hr /></blockquote>Did you "click through"? They want $5.99 for the $10 coupon. Spidey's deal is better...

Scott Lee
05-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey Marty...How many of those coupons do you have? I'd take a couple, if you've got enough for everyone! What time are you meeting at the Rio on Monday?

Scott Lee

SpiderMan
05-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Eric, Scott, Susan - I also located my coupons via a google search, and emailed the vendor to verify the deal. I printed off the correspondence and packed it last night, and can't remember the details, but I'll have it when I unpack tonight. It was a $10 off coupon, and the vendor sells it for $2. That's why I called it "$8 off". I assume they'll have plenty for all of us, since they're in the business of selling them.

I think we're shooting for Monday night dinner, unless we're lucky enough to still be hanging in on singles at that time. If that's the case, I guess Tuesday will be the alternate since team play begins Wednesday.

SpiderMan

ras314
05-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I will plan on Tuesday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'll probably hit Vegas sometime Fri evening.

Good luck to the both of you.

Scott Lee
05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Marty...Cool deal. I'll look for you and SPetty in the Scotch Doubles on Sunday. Do you have a 'team name', so I can locate you on the tote boards?

Scott