PDA

View Full Version : What is a laminated shaft?

Sig
04-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I haven't been able to find a good explanation. I've seen it used in the context of low-deflection shafts, so does it have to with the interior construction of the shaft, or is it the exterior? If the latter, does it change the feel in comparison to bare wood? (I mean the actual feel, not how it hits)

ras314
04-20-2007, 06:35 AM
A shaft made from layers of wood glued together. Should be no difference in feel of the wood. They can use pie shaped strips of wood glued up like the Predators or flat laminations like plywood as the Mueccis.

The low deflection hype is supposed to be due to special construction, whether laminated or not. The 314 shaft's tip ends are hollowed out near the tip and use low weight ferrules to reduce the end mass which is thought to reduce squirt.

Rich R.
04-20-2007, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sig:</font><hr> I haven't been able to find a good explanation. I've seen it used in the context of low-deflection shafts, so does it have to with the interior construction of the shaft, or is it the exterior? If the latter, does it change the feel in comparison to bare wood? (I mean the actual feel, not how it hits) <hr /></blockquote>I'm no expert in this area, but the way I understand it, any shaft made from more than one piece of wood can be considered a laminated shaft. Some are pie shaped and some are flat pieces of wood. There are a number of laminated shafts on the market, such as the Predator shafts, the Tiger X shafts, the OB-1 shafts and some custom cue makers, such as Lambros, make flat laminated shafts.
I believe the laminated shafts offer varrying degrees of low deflection and some have things done to them internally and some don't. From the outside, they should all feel like any other shaft.
For further information, I suggest you go to the web sites of the different makers, as they all have different methods of putting their shafts together and they all have their own claims of what their method does for you.
You will find that a lot of people love certain laminated shafts and not others. There are also many, many people who prefer the traditional one piece shafts.
Don't get caught up in the hype of any one manufacturer. Try cues and shafts for yourself and see what you like best.
Hope this helped a little.

BTW, I personally used a flat laminated shaft, by Lambros, for a period time and I liked it a lot. I hate the feel, or lack of feel, of the Predator shafts. Currently I use a traditional, one piece, shafts on my cues from Mike Capone.

ceebee
04-22-2007, 07:59 PM
You can have flat laminations (example - Muecci), pie shaped laminations (example - Predator) &amp; the multi-laminations (example - OB1). I like them al, but I also like a regular shaft.

I have a custom made 8-ply by Joe Sanko &amp; a Predator 314. They are very nice to play with. I also have two Pechauer shafts, that are great too. 50 plus years as a good player has been fun, I really enjoy the game &amp; the new things that come to my chosen little corner of the world.

cueball1950
04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
and if anybody wants a brand new tiger X shaft for a pin size of 5/16--18 cue i have 1 real cheap. Half price......mike