PDA

View Full Version : WPBA San Diego Classic

jjinfla
04-20-2007, 06:50 AM
The women are battling again. Sarah Ellerby won her first two matches as did Tiffany Nelson. These two lovelies are in a tight battle for 13th place in the standings.

What happened to Sarah Rousey? Why didn't she enter? Not playing will drop her out of the top 30 for sure. Too far to travel? Too expensive? Is her dream to be in the top 16 over?

Jake

HarryDC
04-20-2007, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> The women are battling again. Sarah Ellerby won her first two matches as did Tiffany Nelson. These two lovelies are in a tight battle for 13th place in the standings.

What happened to Sarah Rousey? Why didn't she enter? Not playing will drop her out of the top 30 for sure. Too far to travel? Too expensive? Is her dream to be in the top 16 over?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake

I noted Tiffany defeated Pam Treadway 9-8, Anna Kostanian 9-4 and will play Allison Fisher in her next match. "Velvet" defeated Susan Willams 9-4, Ramona Biddle 9-3 and will play
Vivian Villarreal in her next match.

Did you note Jeanette Lee 9-4 over Jasmin Ouschan. Proud of Jeanette Lee. The revenge for no American being picked for the World Pool Masters. Jeanette can beat the Europeans.

Kim White who did so well in the worlds beat Cathy Metzinger 9-7 and lost to Alice Rim in a 9-8 thriller.
I hope Kim comes through on the one loss side.

Sarah Rousey ????????

HarryDC

HarryDC
04-20-2007, 08:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> The women are battling again. Sarah Ellerby won her first two matches as did Tiffany Nelson. These two lovelies are in a tight battle for 13th place in the standings.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake

I noted Tiffany defeated Pam Treadway 9-8, Anna Kostanian 9-4 and will play Allison Fisher in her next match. "Velvet" defeated Susan Willams 9-4, Ramona Biddle 9-3 and will play
Vivian Villarreal in her next match.

Did you note Jeanette Lee 9-4 over Jasmin Ouschan. Proud of Jeanette Lee. The revenge for no American being picked for the World Pool Masters. Jeanette can beat the Europeans.

Kim White who did so well in the worlds beat Cathy Metzinger 9-7 and lost to Alice Rim in a 9-8 thriller.
I hope Kim comes through on the one loss side.

Sarah Rousey ????????

HarryDC <hr /></blockquote>

Jake

Sorry, the brackets had a type-O which has been corrected

Angel Paglia defeated Vivian Villarreal 9-8 to advance to play "Velvet" in the third round WS bracket.

Kim White won her one loss side match with Kirsten Haney 9-5 and advances to play Hsin Huang in the next round.

HarryDC

jjinfla
04-21-2007, 05:32 AM
I see Sarah beat Angel 9-7 moving her into the sweet sixteen. How sweet it is!!!! The best part is that by winning her last match she now is guaranteed not to have to face Karen, Kim, Kelly, Allison, Ga young, or Pan in the next match.

She will get one more "practice" round before she has to go up against the big guns. And she gets added points for not losing.

I wonder if the players who finished 33-64 received any money?

Jake

Rich R.
04-21-2007, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> She will get one more "practice" round before she has to go up against the big guns. And she gets added points for not losing. <hr /></blockquote>
Jake, you better take another look at the one loss side of the chart. There is a lot of talent there and, depending on the redraw, I wouldn't necessarily say that Sarah will have another "practice round". If the redraw doesn't go in her favor, she may be fighting for her tournament life in the next round.

jjinfla
04-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Think positive Rich R.

Only losers go to the losers side so no matter who Sarah plays it will be a loser.

But no matter who it will be that person will not be as big a threat as any one of those I mentioned above. The ones I call the really big guns.

You have to like Sarah's odds now.

Of course to be a big gun you have to beat a big gun.

Jake

jjinfla
04-21-2007, 06:53 AM
I should have added Janet Atwell to that list.

She has been flying under the radar and is having a great tournament.

P&amp;B had a nice article about her in the December issue. This is one accomplished, achieving, beautiful lady.

Not only does she plays pool well, but she also opened up her own pool room and is also a Registered Nurse. No easy tasks to accomplish. It takes determination, skill and talent.

Now there is a roll model for the young women to emulate.

Jake

HarryDC
04-21-2007, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I see Sarah beat Angel 9-7 moving her into the sweet sixteen. How sweet it is!!!! The best part is that by winning her last match she now is guaranteed not to have to face Karen, Kim, Kelly, Allison, Ga young, or Pan in the next match.

She will get one more "practice" round before she has to go up against the big guns. And she gets added points for not losing.

I wonder if the players who finished 33-64 received any money?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

The only problem "Velvet" may have is having the right bag at table time! Cue bag or golf bag!

"Velvet" knows win or lose she will always be loved by this
fan.

To my knowledge the prize awards haven't changed. Everyone
receives something.

"Velvet" always wins and has beaten Pan and GYK both in the all Japan Championships. Just think in good old lucky 9-Ball
if your break goes south anyone can win. Ask Jasmin? he he he

HarryDC

HarryDC
04-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Jake,

"Velvet" plays Anna Kostanian in the draw round. Jasmin made it through with a 9-4 win over Angel Paglia.

Note due to the crap format Kim "The Cooler" Shaw has to play Julie Kelly twice.

It's all single elimination now.

HarryDC

Rich R.
04-21-2007, 10:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Think positive Rich R.

Only losers go to the losers side so no matter who Sarah plays it will be a loser.

But no matter who it will be that person will not be as big a threat as any one of those I mentioned above. The ones I call the really big guns.

You have to like Sarah's odds now.

Of course to be a big gun you have to beat a big gun.
<hr /></blockquote>
Jake, it looks like Sarah has had a really bad "practice round". Too bad.

Sarah Ellerby - 5
Anna Kostanian - 9

Let me be clear on this.
I didn't wish Sarah any bad luck. She seems to be a nice young lady and has been working very hard on her game, the same as others. However, once a player gets to the final 16, there are no "practice rounds" and any match is up for grabs.

HarryDC
04-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Hey Jake,

"Velvet" played well but lost to a loser Anna Kostanian 9-5. He He He Then Anna Kostanian a loser lost to Kelly Fisher 9-3, and the great winner Allison Fisher lost to Jasmin Ouschan 9-5, Monica Webb the last American player left lost 9-5 to Xiaoting Pan and Julie Kelly defeated Karen Corr 9-6.

The WPBA America's oldest pool tour will have no America's
in another tour final.

The first semi-final will be Jasmin Ouschan Vs. Xiaoting Pan and the second semi-final will be Kelly Fisher Vs. Julie Kelly.

I try but it's become more and more easy to forget about pool all together.

Till the next tournament Jake!

HarryDC

jjinfla
04-22-2007, 06:28 AM
What the hell Rich. Even the great Earl Strickland loses a match once in a while.

At least Sarah has scored more points than Tiffany Nelson so she should move ahead of her in the standings. The higher in the standings, the higher her rating, the higher her seeding, the better her chance of repeating her success.

But it seems like there are a lot more women now who play around the same level. Both Karen and Allison seem to have dropped their level of play and a whole bunch of women now have stepped up their level. It is no longer the Allison and Karen show. They had a good, long run but time has caught up with them.

Jake

jjinfla
04-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi Harry,

I have never followed, nor seen Anna Kostanian play, so I had no idea what Sarah would be up against.

Out of the eight that Sarah could have faced I would think that her best chances would be against Anna, Janet or Alice. Perhaps she let herself relax. Too much wait time between matches?

But one race to nine, is not the end of the world. Well, maybe it is when it is single elimination.

Tell Sarah that we are behind her and to keep trying and maybe next time she will be in the final four.

I have decided that I will no longer go to bars or pool rooms to compete or even to watch. Old age has caught up to me and I just can no longer tollerate the smoke. I went to the local bar yesterday afternoon and was only there for two hours when the pain in my eyes and head started so I had to leave. My eyes are still sore right now. So I decided that it just is not worth it. Luckily I do have 6 nice tables right here where I live.

Have a nice day,

Jake

Rich R.
04-22-2007, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> But it seems like there are a lot more women now who play around the same level. Both Karen and Allison seem to have dropped their level of play and a whole bunch of women now have stepped up their level. It is no longer the Allison and Karen show. They had a good, long run but time has caught up with them. <hr /></blockquote>
Jake, I'm not so sure it is a matter of Allison and Karen dropping their level of play. After all, Karen has done very well in some of the open tournaments on the Joss Tour.
I think it is more like some of the other ladies picking up their game.
Although I am not crazy about their format, changing to single elimination in the middle of the tournament, I do like the fact that we can no longer predict who is going to be in the finals. It is good to see some new faces. I look forward to the day when there are 20 or 30 ladies who have to be considered as possible contenders.

jjinfla
04-23-2007, 06:06 AM
I see that Kelly Fisher took the first place trophy 7-0.

A shut out in the final TV match? That sure won't be good for ratings. Did Jasmin show up?

Oh well, such is life.

Jake

jjinfla
04-23-2007, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr>

HarryDC<hr /></blockquote>

Harry it looks as if you are not alone. It appears that only three people on this board are interested in the WPBA.

Jake

HarryDC
04-23-2007, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I see that Kelly Fisher took the first place trophy 7-0.

A shut out in the final TV match? That sure won't be good for ratings. Did Jasmin show up?

Oh well, such is life.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

Jasmin showed up but she was playing good old lucky 9-Ball and her break went south. Ha Ha Ha Maybe she should follow
her brake to Starkville Mississippi and take part in the Spring Feaver Events at Southern Billiards this week end.

Baseball season now so I don't care really where Jasmin goes. Football season after that I may not watch pool till after the Super Bowl. Put that together with darts league, golf, pistol range, fishing and grilling leaves no time for pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

HarryDC

HarryDC
04-23-2007, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr>

HarryDC<hr /></blockquote>

Harry it looks as if you are not alone. It appears that only three people on this board are interested in the WPBA.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

The read counter reads close to 180 views. People who were looking for free tournament play by play. I will refer them in future to the WPBA website. The girls work hard to maintain it.

One hundred and eighty views if you believe it wasn't Rich R. reading his condesending, I told you so posts, over and over again?

Well, Lets make believe it was 180 different people, lets see, more than 300 million people in the U. S. now, let's say 300 million as a round figure, that means 299,999,820
didn't read it and didn't care either. Ha Ha Ha

I will have to think about the time I waste cheering for "Velvet" Maybe when I visit Orlando she will play golf with me? I will ask her! Tee time in one hour. Later Jake!

Have a good day!

HarryDC

jjinfla
04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
If she can shoot par under pressure then she will make a fortune in golf. Besides that she would be out in the nice fresh air.

I get a kick out of people calling pool a sport and that they are athletes. In their dreams!!! Show me a sport that allows smoking in the arena. Ha Ha

Jake